Hurricane Harvey, ya'll....

texsuze
500 post plus club

Hurricane Harvey, ya'll....

Postby texsuze » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Anyone in harm's way, either in TX or LA? We're in the heart of the beautiful Texas Hill Country, about 60 miles NW of San Antonio, waiting for big rain right now, and hoping we've dodged the bullet yet to come. Overcast, drizzle, dark, and north winds, which is very weird for August.

My mom lives on the southeast outskirts of Houston and has been preparing for a few days. Mainly vacuuming cat hair, since she anticipates losing electricity, and wants fuzz bunnies gone before that happens ;) She'll never leave her house, which, in over 50 years, has yet to flood. Famous last words.

Hope others have already implemented plans for their critters' safety.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Hurricane Harvey, ya'll....

Postby fergusnc » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Best wishes for a boring storm for you, your mom, and her kitties.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Hope everything is OK. My sister is in San Antonio and is ready for the worst.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 am

I hope everyone in Harvey's path is o.k., especially the animals.

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Hope everyone rode the storm out without issue.

I was in the path of Isabel in 2003 with myself and three horses and some of the lessons I learned follow. It was two days of intense rain and wind. The storm was pretty straight forward, reasonable preparations made it nothing more than typical bad weather other than the danger of falling trees, it was more a worry than an actual disaster. I had several weeks of feed on hand and there were no injuries, human or equine, from the storm.

What was the disaster was the period after the storm. I was without power for seven days and without phone service five days. I had Internet service because I lived (and still do) where you have to use a satellite so it worked when I ran the generator and could email my friends and family. Even with a large PTO driven generator it was tough and because of the generator, I was much better off than most of my neighbors - I could run my home A/C in the swampy heat and humidity that always follows a hurricane. Tree removal lasted weeks and because there are not enough companies to remove the downed trees, most of the tree removal was done by home owners and we all learned the hard way the tricks and traps of using a chain saw on a partially downed tree. To me, the tree removal is absolutely the most dangerous task of post hurricane clean-up. Many limbs are under pressure and spring violently when you cut them free. I generally did alright, but I did get caught once with the springing limb sweeping me off a ladder. It looks funny on YouTube, but falling with a running chain saw in your hand is not funny even a little bit.

I was fortunate my only major damage was the roof was torn up, but it didn't leak so insurance adjustment and getting a roofer was could be done in a deliberate manner which helped greatly with the price. I would recommend any repairs that aren't urgent be delayed for at least four to six weeks. Price and especially the quality of work is much better the longer you can wait.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Everyone still ok?

demi

Postby demi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:22 pm

We're fine NW of Austin. Lots of rain and wind but no flooding or downed trees...yet. DH has been going to the RC chapter in Austin for the last three days working to shelter evacuees.

Literiding, I didn't specifically remember Isabel so I googled it. Category 5! BTW, I really enjoyed your old photos on the "throwback" thread.

I wish we'd hear from Ponichiwa. She's somewhere near Houston I think....

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Some good points from Literiding esp. about the contractor work post-storm. Always stories of unsavory folks coming in from the hinterlands to do repair/roof work, asking crazy prices and wanting cash up front, only to scurry away. Hopefully we won't see that.

Only big north winds and sporadic rain shower bursts here so far. I dread the steambath that is to come once the sun shines again and the ground moisture starts to evaporate....

Mom (in Pasadena) still has electricity but is without phone service. She is of the mindset that it is the kids' sole responsibility to phone her, so was waiting for someone to call this a.m., not realizing, of course, that we'd never get through despite our attempts ;) Neighbor across the street came over and notified mom that phones were out. Duh. We finally reached her via cell phone. Floodwater in the street had reached that neighbor's driveway, first time in over 50 years of living there. I told mom that if things hit crisis mode I wouldn't be able to get there for days due to monster rain/flood between here and Houston, not to mention the Houston metro area itself. Fingers crossed since everyone has to ride out this coming week's weather situation.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Demi, thank your DH for volunteering.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Ditto for demi's DH putting in the hours at the Red Cross. And thanks to all those states who, I hear, are sending folks down from various agencies to assist with disaster relief.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Demi, thank your DH for me as well.

Yes, I'm about 40 mi west of Houston. We got absolutely hammered with rain yesterday-- something like 18" over the course of 12 hrs yesterday. Rainfall totals are near 30" at my house. There's a (normally dry) creek that's about 1000' away from my house which is over its banks entirely. Flowing easily 5mph, which is cutting some major sinkholes near my fenceposts. My fence is a total loss. At peak flood conditions, I had about a foot of water in my garage.

But the good news. Plenty of food and water. House is dry (it sits about 5' higher than the garage). Still have power, internet, and cell signal- honestly, I'm shocked. We had enough of a break in the rain last night that enabled the water levels to drop considerably. Now only 3ish inches of water in my garage.

The barns are still dry as well. My sister has a lesson student who brought her 9 welsh ponies over after evacuating from their place in the Fulshear area-- their barns and house are entirely under water. The 9 refugees are a) adorable, and b) coping well in their new dry digs. Kiwi keeps making eyes at the stallions.

We're extremely lucky here relative to what's happening in Houston proper. One of my friends is stuck on the third floor of his apartment building and cannot get out until water recedes. Expectation is that he won't get back to his first-floor apartment for at least a week. My office is right behind Addicks reservoir, which is having mandatory draining (thus making the flooding worse for the rest of Houston) to prevent the dam from breaking.

It's hard to describe how bad this is for Texas. The 25+" total accumulation band is over 200 miles wide and 150 miles long. That's 1.74 trillion cubic feet of water that's fallen in just 2.5 days.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:39 pm

This is so bad for everyone affected in TX and their animals, livestock. Horrible situation in OR with fires. Started from a lightening strike back in June and burning out of control possibly until Oct. They could use some your rain! http://www.currypilot.com/home/5550669- ... -status-of

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:14 pm

I saw a photo of a highway overpass system before and after the flooding. Amazing how much water and how high it was relative to the overpass bridge. It almost like a slow tsunami if you know what i mean

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Jingles for everyone there, and everyone who left. It's awful watching the damage, and awful not knowing what the damage is until you get home. I keep thinking of the poor Katrina diaspora who settled in Houston...

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:31 am

I do too Boots. Geezus this is horrible! The rain... I've experienced 12" in 24 hours and 3' in five days - this is absolutely incredible. I haven't been to Houston in probably 20 years and keep remembering areas and interstates...it's incomprehensible. I'm so sorry for everyone.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:36 pm

ETAA to add photos at the bottome.

I'm here and fine in East SE Texas. What's left of Harvey was supposed to come back in and head straight for us, but some models have it tracking east now, so that's good.

Many of my friends have lost their homes, and everything they own basically, but we're all alive. I have not had any losses or had to evacuate. I haven't even loss power and I'm at work today. My horse is high and dry at his barn although I can't get from here to there to see him. I actually can't really get much of anywhere I"m told- an island in the storm sort of thing.

Editing to add what I posted on COTH yesterday.

"Lots of rain here, but no flooding in my area. There is flooding in the cities and counties all around me, but I'm on high ground within the city limits and for the most part, my city is wet, but draining.

I feel a bit guilty for having cabin fever. I went to work this morning but there was no power at work, and no one else went in, so I texted my boss and he said to go back home.

I haven't had any loss of power at home yet, but we aren't going to get hit with the hard part until Wednesday, I believe, when it comes back on land and heads directly toward where I live. I think we'll be ok though.

The biggest issue right now is that a lot of people were fine and stayed because rain was really the only thing to worry about, but it's still raining and they are about to have to open the flood gates. Just a few inches of more rain and these people will be in trouble, but they can't leave because the water is closing in around them. All the roads out are flooded or washed out or both. The only way out is by boat, but they aren't in immediate danger, yet, so they aren't a priority for rescue. It's truly horrifying to watch because they know it's coming but nothing can be done right now.

Of course all of this is on top of the already horrific events that have, and are currently, unfolding. People posting from their cellphones that they need rescue, that part of their party has already drowned, that they watched their neighbors children drown while they are all waiting for rescue. It's devastating.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of help out there, and the local groups in charge are willing to take anyone with a boat or vehicle made for high water to help in their efforts. People have volunteered their homes, their farms, everything they have, to people with need, but what we are repeatedly seeing is "I have a place to stay but I have no way to get there". All the animals that need to be rescued have places to go as well, but it's the transport part that is an issue. Because this is city landscape, they need flat bottomed boats that do not sit low in the water, or airboats. The Coast Guard is using helicopters, but people have to be able to get on their roof in order to use the air rescue. So there is help, tons of help, it's just taking too long to get people to it in a lot of cases.

"Mattress Mack", the Gallery Furniture guy has opened 2 of his huge showrooms up to evacuees and their pets. He has repeatedly given out his personal phone number to people to call that need help. He has food set up and beds set up and will take all that come. This is not something new for this man as he has always tried to help.

HEB grocery store chain has sent 15 18 wheeled trucks deep into the heart of the areas hit hardest by the hurricane. Two of the vehicles are mobile kitchens that are cooking meals and the rest are full of food and water.

Buccee's convenient stores had a store due to have a grand opening yesterday, but instead they are allowing all first responders to stay inside the store and have all the food and drinks they need for free. If you have never seen a Buccee's it is a HUGE store that stocks most anything you can think of.

Sam Houston racetrack has opened all it's of stalls for free use to anyone needing to relocate.

Most all large and exhibition centers that have stalls have opened up their facilities for free. Numerous people have offered their farms and pastureland. There are cowboys swimming their horses in to areas in order to swim livestock out to awaiting trailers. Most places with hookups are offering those for free as well. There's a lot of good going on here...."

My friend's pastures:

Other possible dangers:

yes, there are people using kayaks to resuce people.

I'll post more as I get time.
Last edited by Racetrackreject on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Wow RTR, your location is very lucky. Glad you are okay. It is a very tough situation. I'm reminded of Hurricane Floyd in eastern NC years ago, which devastated so many rural communities and farming operations. But having this happen in a dense urban sprawl area is even tougher.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:39 pm

A big mainly dressage barn about 10 miles south of me had to evacuate their 80-someodd horses by boat yesterday. Basically, my worst nightmare. I hear that all horses and staff got out safely but what a stressor that must have been.

I saw some blue sky today, so it looks like my side of Houston is starting to clear up. Whew.

Also-- who has 600 alligators???

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Yes, we are very lucky. It's kind of ironic that I'm in the dry spot since I live in the middle of 3 man made lakes (all dams). The lake below me let out water starting yesterday. The lake that I'm on is a floodwater lake or some such designation. Basically it's built to hold water and has it's own spillway, if needed. We will not release water downstream from my location. The lake above me is holding water right now, but may release in small amounts over time.

I've heard some things about Blue Fox Farm, a large H/J barn. The last I heard were that people were trying to get Teri and the horses out, but that Teri had given up hope and stopped trying to contact rescue resources. Others were working to get them out though, so idk what happened from there.

Alligator farms Ponichiwa. There are several from Houston to Beaumont.

I hope no one minds, but I'm just going to keep editing and adding stuff as I come across it. The real everyday people stuff.

"Part 2 of our evil Harvey rescue of 16 horses. After an unsuccessful attempt at getting horses out, Glen went to making some calls. Some friends of ours did the same. At 5:30 Sat evening Glen gets the call that a guy has a low profile boat with a powerful motor to push through the current. We know we only have about 90 min of daylight left. We get to our property and they are putting boat in water. Now these guys are in their early 20's and are willing to risk themselves to save total strangers horses. Not only were these young men there but about twenty other men and women. These people took over. They told me to step back they got this. I said they are my horses and I have a responsibility to get in and help, they were so insistent that I get out of the rushing water. We owe these complete strangers the lives of our horses. Nacho went in on the boat along with another good friend Jessie. They were able to catch all the horses up. One man, I think his name was David saddled up our 23 yo paint stallion, Sonny, who has been doing nothing but teaching small children to ride for the last several year, was my fricken hero. He has been with us for 15 years and is the most amazing stallion in every way. Anyway, he swam 13 horses out of the raging waters. That means he made the trip 26 times. I was so fearful he would collapse under the shear stress of carrying himself and pulling other scared horses. He never gave up. My heart is filled with amazing joy and pride. We have many young horses which makes the job tougher and he never let his rider down. Below is a video of the people that came to help complete strangers and our amazing boy Sonny making us proud. Jean-Marie Degville gave a special request to bring him to her to care for since he has special needs for feeding. I am forever indebted to the magnificent animal, and the courageous men and women who made the rescue of 16 horses a success."

If I can find the video, I will post it.

Last edited by Racetrackreject on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:32 pm

Oh my. Jingles and prayers continuing for y'all.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:35 pm

Jingles for you all. Hurricane Sandy was a nightmare for us on Long Island. And although it was horrendous, we did not get the flooding like Houston is getting now. It wasn't even technically a hurricane when it hit us, but that is just semantics.
My mind is boggling when I try to think of 50 inches of rain.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:49 pm

I'm glad our Texas friends are doing OK so far. The rainfall from Harvey is mind boggling. NWS said, "So much rain has fallen, we've had to update the color charts on our graphics in order to effectively map it."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... 6e02eade31 has some before and after pairings where you can slide the cursor line across the photos. Somewhat hopeful - the last pair shows the water dropping from Sunday to Monday; I suppose that could change again with releases from the reservoirs.

Thoughts and prayers for all in the affected area.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:16 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... abc-region

You may need a NYT subscription to see the graphic, half-way down the page ("Where Harvey's Rain Fell"), of the rainfall amounts changing with time.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:40 pm

Lots of photos on weather.com site. The amount of rain and flooding as previously said is mind boggling. Sent donation to Red Cross for Harvey victims.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:01 pm

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:23 pm

OMG - reading the posts here and on Facebook, seeing the pictures, just overwhelms my heart. I can't imagine going through something like this. It's horrible, just horrible.

Is there a list of reputable donation sites that all proceeds would benefit the people and or the animals hit by this tragedy?

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Just unreal, the amount of water and getting my head around what clean-up will have to take place. My mom, in Pasadena, miraculously stayed high and dry with no loss of electricity! I cannot believe it. She thought she might go down the street to Kroger to stock up on more cat litter---like anyone will even be working at the Kroger store?

Hayburner, I'd suggest donations be made to the American Red Cross, earmarked for Hurricane Harvey. That way, monies can be directed to specific needs. Also, some suggestions for critter-help websites for donations. The SPCA's are actually individual organizations and don't operate under an umbrella 'SPCA' agency:

www.houstonspca.org
www.spca.org/give This is the SPCA of Texas in Dallas. They are taking in evacuee animals.
www.petsmartcharities.org

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:22 pm

NPR has an article on how to help and where to donate.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:23 am

Gawd Almighty...! And hurricane season is only just beginning...

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:54 pm

Thank you for the donation suggestion sites. I sit here thinking how blessed I am while these people have absolutely Nothing!

The picture of those men saving dogs with the little boat and smiling just rocks me - how do you smile in such tragic times. They are stronger than I could ever be. A picture of men saving a wheelchair bound women, horses in water up to their necks, people losing everything including their loved ones, so much devastation.

We have someone collecting items and a local trucking company will be making the trip down to bring some aid to them. I'm not sure what I'll send, I'm thinking maybe diapers, hit TJ Maxx for some kids clothes, I don't know what's best to send. But, I have never felt such a strong need to donate to any cause as I do with this one. I'll check out the monetary donation sites to make a monetary donation.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:41 pm

Hayburner, FWIW, a donation in these situations of plain old money is usually the most practical, flexible and appreciated--especially since needs change from day to day and week to week. There is a non-profit diaper service in Texas that is engaged: https://texasdiaperbank.networkforgood. ... nge-a-life

This is a nice list of Texas organizations for potential donations:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... e-s-a-list

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:02 pm

Those horrendous and wonderful videos of the rescues! I've seen some hurricane aftermaths but nothing like that. Thank goodness all here are safe.

My last email ad from Smart Pak listed horse rescues/vet groups etc that were accepting donations for Harley restoration. Sorry I can't cut and paste.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:24 pm

The Red Cross centers are requesting that no clothes be sent to their centers for evacuees. Actually, many are now only taking cash donations. Most of the shelters that I have seen, when they put out a request for something, they are quickly overstocked with that item, but there are not enough shelters. There are over 300 people in a bowling alley in Port Arthur because they were rescued and dropped off, but there was no place to take them.

The main items that I have seen being wanted are:
Police departments asking for underwear and socks for officers on duty. (this is in Houston areas)
Food (Beaumont, Port Arthur, Lumberton, Silsbee areas)- Right now there is someone begging for someone to drop off a cow/pig/anything at the airport outside of Beaumont so that they can feed first responders. They said they will butcher and cook it themselves. Many have not eaten in over 24 hours. A large number of places are asking for food.
Water- the water pumps in Beaumont have gone out and so when they turn on the faucet, there is nothing.
Medications for cuts and scrapes, skin care medications, hoof medications- Great Southwest Equestrian Center Katy, Texas They are housing tons of horses at the show grounds and trying to care for them the best they can
Feed dog/cat/horse/i even saw a request for chicken feed- everywhere
buckets/halters/leads- everywhere
animal crates, all sizes- everywhere
baby formulas and diapers- everywhere except some Red Cross shelters
cold/flu medications, otc medications, children's versions as well- everywhere

I'll add as I come across more requests.

"Good Morning from GSEC,
We are overwhelmed with the generosity and support from our horse show family. We will need supplies for weeks on end but cannot take it all in at once. We have already taken in quite a bit of Hay and feed, and are now in the process of organizing shipments out to those in need. We will take the donations of hay and feed that are already scheduled to come in. We will update everyone when we need more hay and feed. If you have a donation coming to GSEC please contact Val Garza (210) 870-4584 for a scheduled drop. We are working with volunteer help and are trying to be as organized as possible. IF YOU NEED SUPPLIES OR KNOW OF A LOCATION THAT NEEDS SUPPLIES PLEASE CONTACT Ben (936) 727-0067.
Here is a list of supplies that will be needed in the immediate future:
Thrush
fly spray
betadine shampoo
vet wrap
bandages
wound care
ointments
penicillin
tetracycline
needles
syringes
rubber gloves
hoof care products
buckets
halters
lead ropes
bottled water
towels
We are not taking in clothing donations for people. We are taking in supplies for all of our 4 legged friends.
Thank You."
Last edited by Racetrackreject on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:44 pm

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/39642/ ... 08-31-2017

Horse Owners, Rescuers Surveying Harvey's Impact

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:16 pm

While there is still great uncertainty, another "I" storm is looking to be a problem:

storm_11-1.jpg
storm_11-1.jpg (202.16 KiB) Viewed 23465 times

Irma is a big storm and even if the track shifts to the east, it could sock the eastern seaboard.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”