A year with Ariel

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

A year with Ariel

Postby PaulaO » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Labor Day is always my New Year. I bought Bob on September 2, 1987 (!) and started leasing Ariel September 1, 2016. We've been together a year which has flown by. In the past year I've leased/bought a horse, bought a saddle, bridle, 2 bits, 3 saddle pads, 3 blankets, 1 sheet, all new grooming supplies, 3 halters, and numerous pounds of carrots. Ariel had a choke episode, and stepped on my right foot twice, breaking the toe once. But I can't complain. She has become a different horse. Soft, and actually a cuddle bunny. She likes to put her head on my chest so I can hug her head and stroke her poll and kiss her and tell her I love her. We are coming along with our riding. She walks away from the mounting black calmly instead of racing around a few laps. I'm getting better with the canter. I trust her.

This morning I started to put on the bracelet with Bob's name, but took it off. I have that bracelet, and a bracelet, watch, and ring made from his tail hair. I will never not love him but I feel it's time to move on. I'm sad that my memories of him are fading.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Re: A year with Ariel

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:34 pm

Paula, I'm so glad you've been able to love again. It has not happened for me.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:42 am

A momentous occasion! One year already! Wow. Time is zooming by. I am enjoying your posts about Ariel very much and look forward to more about this lovely friendship. I am a little partial to mares and couldn't be happier that Ariel found such a dear person to love her. Not to mention that she is a good color for rust breeches....

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:01 pm

Paula, I cant believe it's been a year since you got started with Ms. Ariel! Congrats

As for your thoughts about Bob, I wonder if it's not that your memories of him are fading or the need to wear things that keep you connected to him, it's that Ariel is now filling your heart with happiness.

When I bought my mare I truly believed I would never love her, at least not like I love my old gelding. He's been heart horse for 17 years. He got me through many marital heartaches, he's been my rock!

But, I am loving her, even though she makes me crazy and she's a bit nuts too! She's definitely not the steady Eddie he has always been. My gelding is now 30 and I know he won't be here forever, I think now it will be her turn to help me get past the sad days and missing him when the dreaded time comes.

She came into your life for a reason, embrace it.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”