Third Level DEBUT - show report

DJR
500 post plus club

Third Level DEBUT - show report

Postby DJR » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:31 pm

I bit the bullet and entered Jet in his first Third Level tests. After THREE years of working on his flying changes, I felt they were decent enough to give it a go.

It went really well!!

I haven't shown Jet at all since the 2016 season so he had some tension to overcome. But in our favor was the chilly temps in the morning, just a few degrees above zero which is perfect riding weather for my big black boy. I worked on relaxation in the warm-up for Third-2, and that helped. Then when I asked him for the first flying change in our warm-up, boom, HUGE buck! It launched me right out of the tack! Ok, ahem, I tried again with a much more conservative ask and he was a good boy about it, somewhat exuberant but the orbit stayed in this solar system. LOL.

Once we got in the competition ring, he went to work. Our first change (canter HP right from D to R, then change before M) was late behind but he changed on my aid so that's fine. The second change he was getting tense so I worked on relaxation as much as possible during the canter HP left, which was from D to S, then change before H). He relaxed very nicely, but then I lost engagement so we botched the right change (mostly my fault for not improving the quickness of the hind leg before asking him).

After our final halt/salute, the judge said "lovely test" and was very complimentary! When I told her it was our Third level debut, she said it didn't look like it and that I rode a really precise, well thought out test (despite the botched change). That was music to my ears!

Then we had an hour until Third-3. Jet warmed up much more relaxed for this one, and I felt that it went quite a bit better than Third-3 but my mark was only a percent higher. When I read the judge's comments after, I understood why. Anyway, the changes in that test (both on the shorter diagonal at center line) were totally clean and on cue, so I was over the moon about that!

Our marks: Third-2 was 64.74%, good for 1st place (out of 3 horses). And Third-3 was 65. 13%, good for 2nd place. Just to be in the 60s at our first try at Third Level is super! I'm really glad I chose to do this at the last show of the season. Now I'll work on my homework over the winter and I can't wait to show Third Level in 2018!

Here's the big boy warming up (photo by my groom extraordinaire, my daughter):
2017Oct01 OakhurstSilver_Jet_3Ldebut.jpg
2017Oct01 OakhurstSilver_Jet_3Ldebut.jpg (123.7 KiB) Viewed 12694 times
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

goneriding
Herd Member

Re: Third Level DEBUT - show report

Postby goneriding » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:07 am

Congratulations!

And did I read that right... it's just a few degrees above zero on October 1?? Brrrr.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:12 am

goneriding wrote:Congratulations!

And did I read that right... it's just a few degrees above zero on October 1?? Brrrr.

Yes, you did! When we got up at 5 a.m., it was 0 degrees (C). When I got on Jet, it was 4^C. So, pretty "crisp" out!!

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:48 am

Great job and show report!
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:39 am

Well done!

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:37 am

Congrats!! I did my first third level earlier this year. I was so nervous I did 2 EOC's, but luckily I had a lovely judge who was very patient. It does get easier the more you do especially with a great start like that.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:28 am

Yay!!! How exciting. I'm looking forward to your third level reports (and more pics) next season!

What do you mean by he "launched you right out of the tack"?! I hope you just momentarily lost contact with the saddle and DIDNT make contact with the ground!

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:13 pm

demi wrote:Yay!!! How exciting. I'm looking forward to your third level reports (and more pics) next season!

What do you mean by he "launched you right out of the tack"?! I hope you just momentarily lost contact with the saddle and DIDNT make contact with the ground!

Yes, I went straight up, air between my butt and the saddle, then straight back into the tack. He gives me one of these doozy, "expressive" changes (aka bucks) when I ask for the change, especially early in the ride. It happened more about a year ago when he was still figuring out what to do with his legs. The buck in warm-up was joie de vivre, but it sure did surprise me (and the people standing next to the warm-up ring adjacent to where he was when he did it!).

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:58 pm

I am glad your out of the tack experience was brief and that you landed where you had left ha!

Great report D. I remember well your experiences with your big boy and its great to see how far you have come. Keep the reports coming!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:43 pm

Awesome job! And well-ridden in the warm -up :-D

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Awesome response on our debut on Jet at third, he looks like an athlete for sure.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:14 pm

Congrats! How fun, and he looks great!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:53 pm

Congrats to the both of you! What a great accomplishment.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Whoooo Hooo. Go Jet! Great job DJR!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Congrats! Great scores - first time or not!

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:49 am

Good job!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”