My first time at a band competition

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

My first time at a band competition

Postby Sue B » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:48 pm

I watched my first high school marching band competition on Saturday and wow, was that fun! There were, I think, 20 bands competing that day, varying in size from about 12 to 90 some kids. Most had color guards and/or dance troops too! I was so impressed by how well the kids played and how professional they looked. For the most part, the kids were also responsible for setting up (and taking down) whatever equipment they needed and it all had to be done quickly because they had to be on the field, ready to play, at their appointed time. I took my 86 year old mom along to watch; it was a 3 hour drive one-way so we didn't stay for the entire competition as I had to get her up at 6:30am and I didn't want to tire her out too much. She had a blast and can't wait for the next one. :D

Oh btw, my son's hs band was competing. They only have 15 members so they were up against 6 other small bands first thing in the morning. They played 4 songs from KISS, including Beth and Shout it Out Loud. For Beth, they had two different trumpet solos backed up by my son's melophone (horn) that were absolutely beautiful. Our band came in 2nd--they were ecstatic. Getting up at 6 every morning to be at school by 7 for practice, since the mid-August, has definitely paid off. We were the only band without fancy uniforms, instead they wore matching pull-over jackets with our school's logo where a pocket would be and black pants and shoes. So they did it all with really good musical talent, precision marching and 4 dedicated color guards who managed to do their thing, in the wind, without a single flag dropped. :D I am officially a band geek mom now.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Re: My first time at a band competition

Postby VBOpie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:46 pm

Glad you had such a great time! My daughter was in color guard during her high school years. The kids make great friendships! Isn't wonderful to see the hard work these band/ color guard kids put in?

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:43 pm

I remember doing those when I was in HS, they were a ton of fun. I'm still in touch with the friends I made then, and it was in the 80s.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:56 am

I don't think I ever went to a football game in high school but I sure as heck went to the band competitions.

They were awesome and I was really impressed with how good all the bands were.

Congrats on being a band geek Mom.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”