Breach in Five Days!

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Breach in Five Days!

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:02 pm

I've lived in my new horse property home for three weeks. I moved my daughter's horses in this past Saturday. My horse will come the end of October. Last night the horses were in the dry lot. It is made up of steel corral panels.

I was awoken at 4:30 am by the sound of the older mare frantically calling. After her second call, I got up to see what she was upset about. I walked out to the dry lot in my PJs, and where there is supposed to be two horses, there is only one! I check the gate and it is bent over and mangled, however it is still attached. The little, yellow troublemaker had somehow gotten over the gate, and was no where to be found.

I sprinted in the house in a panic and yelled to my DH that Fame was gone. I threw on some clothes and sprinted back out to the dry lot. Luckily I had some extra fence panels so I grabbed one and propped it up against where the broken gate was so the other horse wouldn't get out. I got a bucket with some grain and a halter and turned to look at the calling mare to see which direction she was calling. Luckily it was a bright, almost full moon last night and Fame is light yellow. She had wandered across the road and was peacefully grazing. I walked right up to her and put on her halter and took her home. I fixed the dry lot with the extra panel and went in the house to get some coffee. I'm at work now, still waiting for the adrenaline to dissipate.
Attachments
Gate.jpg
Gate.jpg (74.21 KiB) Viewed 7094 times
Fame N Joy.jpg
Fame N Joy.jpg (85.24 KiB) Viewed 7094 times
Last edited by Sunshine2Me on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Breach in Five Days!

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Naughty girl! Amazing how they can be such escape artists.

Literiding
Herd Member

Breach in five days

Postby Literiding » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Many many years ago, the BO of the barn I boarded at related a story in the barn at the end of a long summer's day. He lived in an 19th century two story farm house and was getting ready for bed upstairs when he looked out the window and saw one of his client's horses laying in the county lane out side the farm gate. Without thought, he rushed out thinking the horse had been hit by a car. He arrived at the location to find the horse was gone. As he stood in the middle of the lane wondering where a 1000 lb body had gone and wearing nothing but his jockey shorts - he hadn't bothered to dress in his haste, a vehicle came around the curve. As luck would have it, it was the local constabulary force that was making the semi-annual check to make sure no one had stollen the road bed. The policeman was quite amazed to find his not too long ago high school wrestling coach standing in the middle of the lane wearing nothing but his jockey shorts. The BO managed to talk his way out of the encounter with the law. The horse had managed to open his gate and it was later determined that it suffered narcolepsy. He would wonder around and fall down heavily. He would lie there for a few minutes get up and then wonder off to find another place to "crash" at. He was recovered that night in good health sampling a neighbor's garden.

Normally, this story was on the "Forbidden List," but after a long day at a show and a couple of beers, it provided us all with good entertainment.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:39 pm

I was sitting in my courtyard weeding last week and I looked up in time to see the tail end of a bay horse disappear around the corner. I grabbed my phone and called my neighbor. She rents my small barn with its attached two turnouts. This was the third time in two weeks one of her two resident bay Lusitanos had gotten out. He was easily caught as usual. We kept thinking someone must be leaving a gate open since it had a locking clip on it, but added a chain this time and haven't had another escape. We HAVE seen the second bay chewing on the locking clip. Hmmmmmm it would have taken perfect timing with a push by one while the other opened the clip. Hmmmm

Welcome to farm ownership!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:24 am

I walked out on Sunday morning to feed my horses to find a large steer in Lucky's paddock. No fences breached, nothing, just this large black long-horned object standing staring at Lucky, who at 30-somethng years old, still apparently thinks he's "cowy" and was curvetting back and forth and leaping and snorting until he realized I was carrying his breakfast and I was able to gather him up and shut him in a safe place.

Loose cattle from the neighboring ranch have been an ongoing source of annoyance on our mountain--it's a long story--so I went back inside and called the Sherriff because I'm completely fed up about the complete lack of response we get from the owners of these damned beasts, who have driven off all our wildlife and crapped all over our property all summer and made trail-riding, hiking, dog walking, etc., pretty much impossible.

So, having made a fuss and set in train a chain of events involving the sheriffs department, animal control and the useless ranch manager, I go back outside to the horses, and the beast has vanished...

I know I wasn't hallucinating, because Walker alerted me to a black cow butt disappearing into the undergrowth later in the day...

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Well placed hot wire along the inside of your fencing/gates will keep most equines on their side. Most.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:51 pm

When I was heavily pregnant with ds, I looked out the bedroom window one night to see a herd of cows walking past. By the time I got my husband upstairs to look, however, the cows had vanished! He was about to chalk it up to "crazy prego wife halucinations" when he glanced out another window just in time to see the herd gathering by the hay stack. Turns out they were heifers belonging to our neighbor who had just brought them in from the mountains earlier that day. We gathered them up and put them in our pasture, called the neighbors and suggested they wait until daytime to pick them up. Turns out, someone hadn't latched a gate after feeding them that night.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Yeah - that would have been nuts and stressed for days!!
I only had my new mare a week or two, the girl that turned her out did not know that there were 2 gates on the tiny pasture she was put in. Low and behold my new horse went through the open gate, but luckily she came trotting back to the barn and went into an open stall.....I'm still amazed that she remembered how to get to "her barn" and to an open stall.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”