My scribing journey begins

Tanker-yanker
Greenie

My scribing journey begins

Postby Tanker-yanker » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:39 pm

The On the Levels DVDs are here.
How would you go about teaching yourself to scribe?
How many levels should I learn?
Would you suggest watching the Dvd with the test in hand until I learn what is expected on each test and then worry about scribing them?
What about abbreviations? I found a couple of sites that suggested I learn abbreviations. What if the rider is not familiar with the abbreviations I use?

There are a few shows left of the season and I was thinking of asking to scribe unofficially until I was confident.

When I get nervous my penmanship gets messy and my spelling can suck.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: My scribing journey begins

Postby Canyon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:13 pm

I started out scribing at the schooling shows that our club puts on. Tell the judge you are new to scribing; he/she will explain whether they say the score or the remarks first for each movement.

USDF Guide for Scribes has its list of preferred abbreviations and more suggestions for getting started, worded better than I can. I never memorized all the tests, maybe be aware of when several movements come quickly in succession . You just need to keep up with the judge's remarks and scores and look up occasionally to see that you are on the right movement. I would start with Intro, Training, and First Levels until you get comfortable. The higher the level, the faster the movements come up.

More info here https://www.usdf.org/search/results.asp ... 1&q=scribe

I learned so much by scribing, but arthritis in my hands prevents me from doing it any more.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Start with a schooling show. The judge will gave you her/his preferred shorthand.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:44 pm

You learn pretty quickly by going to a competition and scribing. It's not that hard. Try for lower level tests to start with, as the higher level tests are a lot faster so you are head down the whole time to keep up. I don't learn the tests, I do a quick read through before the class starts.

I tend to keep one finger or my thumb on my non writing hand following each movement, so if the judge gets behind or lost (can happen!) you can quickly say the number the movement you are up to is. Also, I always make sure I write the mark down immediately, even if it's in the middle of writing comments, because thats the most important thing to write.
The list of abbreviations is helpful. But seriously after a few tests you'll have the hang of it. Find a pen you like using and take that (and a spare).

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 am

Have you ridden competitively? I found learning test, and then reading my comments (by the scribe and judge) were helpful to keep in mind once I started scribing. I had seen many of the various abbreviations - 1/4s for 'hindquarters' O to denote a circle (ditto a square for 'square halt'). I agree with Flight about keeping track of the movement and occasionally reminding the judge for a missing mark. Sitting in with a Judge and Scribe to hear how the comments are passed along can be very helpful. It's a fun way to be involved. Good luck.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:45 pm

I started at schooling shows doing the lower level tests where things happen slowly. The judge will help. The abbreviations in the USDF Guide are a great help, but not necessary at the lower levels. As has been stated, ALWAYS get the mark/number. If you miss the text, the judge can usually help after the test is ridden. Start low and slow. Intro, then Training Level. Good luck, it's fun and you'll learn a bunch!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Good luck on scribing and as all have said, it isn't hard and it is fun.

Yes, start with the lower levels. Bring your own writing implements (in the event the show provided pens are not what you like :) ). Talk with the judge before hand to find out what they expect you to capture and if they want to add their own comments (I scribed for a few judges that would want to write their own comments on the sheet).

To me, a bit frustrating as I couldn't really watch much of the test as I was writing... sigh. (I am also not the world's fastest writer so that didn't help).

The most fun I had scribing was for a dressage judge at a combined driving test. The test "speed" is slower as you are judging a horse+cart so ring is larger and they mostly walk and trot, with very little, if any, canter. The judge was awesome and let me ask questions so I had a chance to learn about some of the differences between ridden and driven dressage (he did both, I did only the former). An example was the 'halt at X'... exactly what part of the horse+cart is on 'X' :) . By the end of the afternoon, we'd watch the test and he'd often ask how and why I'd score a particular movement and we'd talk about why he would score it the way he did. I am more than sure that nothing I said influenced his decision but I think he was looking to see if I was learning. It was cold and wet and the best time scribing I ever had :mrgreen:

Tanker-yanker
Greenie

Postby Tanker-yanker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Would one of you post a copy of your test so I can see what another scribe's work looks like? I do not need a name, just how they do it.
Thanks

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:15 am

IMG_8541.JPG
IMG_8541.JPG (112.42 KiB) Viewed 12923 times

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:22 pm

Remember any movement 7 or above doesn't require a remark, so there are times when, like with the above test, you won't have to write anything.

Tanker-yanker
Greenie

Postby Tanker-yanker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:49 pm

Thank you, Flight.
That is nothing compared to what I was scribing. I swear I was writing a lot more for each box.

I do not know if it had anything to do with scribing for someone going through the L program or not, but wow, I could scribe the example no problem.

I am so glad I asked for an example.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Some judges are much more verbose than others! :lol:

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:41 am

That was my test from yesterday, but I also pencilled for a couple of hours with a judge who had much longer comments! I struggled to fit them in some of the boxes.

One penciller had really good abbreviations, one's that I don't necessarily know but I could understand easily. I'll be using them next time:
test.jpg
test.jpg (110.67 KiB) Viewed 12890 times

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:18 am

So helpful Flight, and great rides! :D

Red's Mom
Novice

Postby Red's Mom » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:36 pm

I would agree with the suggestion of starting at a schooling show, because they are mostly for the lower levels. Most recognized shows don't have two scribes per judge. They don't have one for the lower levels and one for the upper levels. Though some larger shows might have more than one ring with a separation of upper level and lower level. I used to scribe a lot, but that was quite awhile ago. Some judges are easier to scribe for than others. Many do not follow their own instructions, i.e. giving the score first. This can mess up the scoring, and when this mistake happens it is never the judges fault. When you work with a consistent methodical judge, it is easy. Memorize the USDF abbreviations. Don't speak to the judge when they are counting changes! When i first started scribing, I worked with a judge that would fall asleep! She retired many years ago. I think the most fun volunteer job is to be ring steward.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”