Back to dressage

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Back to dressage

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:37 pm

My English instructor (Kim) had the opportunity to lease a barn so she left. I have the opportunity to move with her but I'm not going to because Miss A. is settled and I don't want to go through a year of readjustment. Now I'm taking lessons from Karin and we are back to dressage basics. I put my dressage saddle on Miss A. last night and glory be, it fits. She takes a 44 girth and Bob took a 54! When I sat in the saddle, it was like coming home. So comfortable. And the dressage saddle lets her shoulders move (I'm afraid my A/P pinched her).

My stirrup leathers are brown. My girth is brown. My bridle is brown. :roll: Of course I can continue to use that tack, but like any proper dressage rider, I like things to match. I posted in Tack & Apparel regarding my bridle hunt. Black, cob size, French noseband, soft, under $200. Any ideas?

StraightForward

Re: Back to dressage

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:08 pm

These Pink Equine bridles are pretty nice, and you can order the exact configuration you want:
http://www.pinkequine.com/product_info. ... ucts_id=30

These are maybe a little over your budget, but I've heard they're nice, and they can piece together exactly what you want:
https://www.ffequestrian.com.au/

sstack.com has the Joseph Sterling bridle that is made for more petite heads. I don't remember the exact specs, but it might be worth a look.
Keep calm and canter on.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:56 pm

I like the Joseph Sterling bridle but it has a crank nose band. Can I not "crank" it?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:42 pm

You can make the crank as loose as you want. I actually like cranks better because they have padding where they go under the bony part on the jaw, and because they fit more symmetrically.
Keep calm and canter on.

Angfreda
Herd Member

Postby Angfreda » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Somewhere I have a cute lil cob size Dressage bridle with flash... I think it has rubber reins... but it was/is also cheap.
I can look for it if you are interested.

Otherwise congrats on your re-entry into the adventure of Dressage!

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:33 pm

PaulaO wrote:I like the Joseph Sterling bridle but it has a crank nose band. Can I not "crank" it?

I never crank mine. They are fitted loosely. Love them!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:07 pm

I have both crank and non crank. Like the others I love the padding and just don't buckle snug. However, non crank are easier to fasten since they don't double back at the buckle. I also just take off the flash.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:56 am

I have an older KL Select Epsom dressage bridle in havanna brown with french noseband with matching leather reins with stops. Barely used - looks new. This model was designed was specific for smaller TB heads. It is Horse size. Now that I think of it - I have 2nd brown dressage bridle but will need to check the nose band style.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:58 am

I'm just glad to know that Pinkequine bridles aren't pink!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:50 pm

This is the one I want. http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUBBEN-2300-Le ... 1180275698 I can't find any U.S. retailers though....I'm going to stop in the local high end tack shoppe tomorrow night. Maybe they can order it.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Don't mean to derail but...Josette, are you wanting to sell your bridle? Paula, I really like how my KL Select has held up (except for Rudy running off and breaking it that is), the leather is soft, well-padded, and looks nice. I got it off ebay.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:11 pm

PaulaO - I replied to your bridle question in the tack section.

The only thing I would worry about would be buying out of US if you had to return it.

BUt, I was happy with the seller and the quality of the Stubben bridle I got from them. I'm sure it was less than what I would have paid in the states. Mine actually shipped from Scotland...

I don't tighten my crank tightly..I also like that it's padded. The horse size fit my small framed andalusian mare very nicely. You may also find that you have to piece together a bridle if Ms. Arial is between a cob and a horse size. I tried a different brand in a cob size and it was way too small for my mare and she does have a petite head.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:42 pm

I ordered a Bobby's. I like that their site posts measurements of each size.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”