Boarding question

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Boarding question

Postby Hayburner » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:44 pm

If you moved your horse to a barn and within 30 days the price was increased by $25 or $50 a month would you expect them to hold your agreed price before they passed on the increase to you?

I just saw this happen to someone and I felt the original amount should have been held without an increase for 6 months to a year. Basically no different than when you sign a lease for an apartment.

I didn't think giving the increase with basically a 3 week notice after you moved in is fair.

orono
Herd Member

Re: Boarding question

Postby orono » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:31 pm

6 months to a year? We're lucky to get a full 30 days for increases. It would be courteous to give the new boarder the same notice as the others, but likely the date will change for everyone on the same day.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:54 pm

I would be annoyed that they didn't inform me of an increase that they were probably planning before I even moved my horse, but it's entirely "fair" if not totally courteous. The boarding is month to month, so they don't have any assurance of anyone being there for the six to twelve months like in a rental lease, where there are penalties for moving early.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:00 am

Boarding is in no way similar to a rent or lease agreement. It is, for both the boarder and the barn management, a month to month agreement usually with thirty day notice . For the most part, I try to warn my boarders several months in advance if there is going to be any increase in board, and I try very hard to not raise prices too often. However i am facing the need to share the increase to my boarders soon, i will give written notice and it will probably take place within thirty days.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Ok - I see the point of boarding being month to month - I guess since I've only moved twice in 16years. Been at the current place 12 years! I'm not one to move so I didn't "see" the month to month side.

IMHO - I think a new boarder should have a window of time to pay the quoted price before they are hit with the increase. Or they should be told one is coming or that board has an annual increase.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Maybe BO hadn't made up their mind? Maybe BO has raised board in over 5 years?

If the BO knew the increase was coming, I would agree courteous to say something but no "requirement". If border doesn't like it, give 30 days and move.

Would I be happy if this happened to me? No. But would also realize BO is running a business and I would not be privy to what is driving a business decision. If the board is excessive, others will also move. If the quality of the board is good, I'd suck it up and stay (having been in less than "good" boarding places as well.)

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:33 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote: Would I be happy if this happened to me? No. But would also realize BO is running a business and I would not be privy to what is driving a business decision.

This ^^

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:30 am

This is the 4th increase in just less than 2 years. The total amount in that time is around $100. Which isn't bad. You are responsible for buckets, fans, heated buckets.

But, an increase a month after moving in with no warning is the part that bothers my friend.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:56 am

Previous increases are irrelevant. BO probably should have mentioned it to your friend before she moved 'board is currently X but will be going up to Y next month'. It may have slipped her mind and/or she simply put up a notice in the barn to inform her clients. How long ago did your friend make arrangements to move there?

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Orono, she was only there about 2 weeks.

Angfreda
Herd Member

Postby Angfreda » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:57 pm

Orono, I think OP noted the recent increase because Wheresmywhite wrote 'Maybe BO hadn't made up their mind? Maybe BO has raised board in over 5 years?'.

OP I think any well run business should know what and when their board will increase and inform boarders of that as well in advance as they can, with 30 days as a minimum.
Is boarding like renting an apartment? No. But it should be, if you ask me. I mean, wouldn't we ALL [boarders, BO's and Barn workers] prefer a more professionally run situation where commitment from both sides of the transaction are more reliable?

One of the best, most professionally run places I boarded was the one that required a first and last month board deposit and kept boarders well informed of changes, large and small.

Benatus
Greenie

Postby Benatus » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:00 am

It would be infuriating if no mention was made.

My job isn’t to second guess and make a blind support to barn owners lack of planning.

It’s skivy to pull something like that.

You know contracts make it hard to up and leave.

I think it shows poor management and communication. I’m not brainwashed into thinking just because you run a business you are all american salt of the earth. I expect this kind of info before I sign the contract.

Sounds like an airhead maneuver. I’d start shopping.

I don’t care if you raised your board once in a decade, pull a shady move like that and you’ve lost my good will. And when I could organize it, my money.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”