I was asked about shareboarding Miss A.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

I was asked about shareboarding Miss A.

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:27 pm

My instructor (Karin) asked me if I have thought about shareboarding Miss A. I said no, why. She has an adult (female) student who rides at about my level and is looking to shareboard twice a week. One ride would be a lesson, the other would be an open ride. I don't want to shareboard Ariel. I don't need the money. She doesn't need the work. We've spent the last year developing a bond. She has her routine which I am picky about. Her life as a lesson horse is over. I don't want anyone else riding or caring for my horse! :evil:

So why am I feeling guilty? Because Ariel is such a good horse and I don't want to share???

piedmontfields

Re: I was asked about shareboarding Miss A.

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:42 pm

No need to feel guilty. I think you just understand what it is like to be horseless and hope to be more involved, so you are empathetic to the other rider.

Enjoy *your* horse!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Thank you. That's exactly what I'm feeling! I'm not naturally empathetic...

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:14 pm

I don't blame you for not wanting to shareboard. You have a good thing going with Miss A, and you know that putting a different rider on her might interrupt that.

As for the feeling of guilt, I agree with piedmontfields. . . It wasn't all that long ago you were dipping your feet back into riding, and you did so with Ariel. It has turned out really favorable for you, and subconsciously you probably feel that by not agreeing to a shareboard you are depriving that other rider of all the joy you have found.

Don't feel guilty. Miss A is your special horse, and more than likely that other rider's special horse is out there waiting. By not agreeing to sharing when you aren't comfortable with it, you are just making it possible for that rider to find "her" horse sooner.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Do not feel guilty. I have to say I would never share either of my horses, unless I financially or health wise had to do it. I spend more time grooming and bonding with my horses than riding, I'd be afraid someone else would just ride and go. That's really not what I want for them. They both are very people orientated and love attention.

I have been lucky over the years that I had two different horses that people offered to let me ride when my old guy was injured. I'm not even a good rider, they just wanted their horses to have the attention and some ride time. It worked out very nicely.

She's all yours now - so you call the shots. You can feel bad that you can't emotionally share her, but this rider will find another horse to share.

Red's Mom
Novice

Postby Red's Mom » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:35 pm

In my neck if the woods this is called a "half lease". I am actually hoping to find someone that is QUALIFIED to do just as you described, but the right person has not come along. The only payment I am asking for is that they pay for their weekly lesson. Mind you, my horse is a green 4 year old, but he has a very nice temperament. I have a pony that I drive as well and other farm animals, I keep them at home, so I do all the maintenance. I would appreciate the help of someone riding a couple times a week.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 pm

No - your mare doesn't need this additional mileage. She's already paid her dues as a lesson horse. Now her turn to be spoiled and loved by you!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:47 pm

Josette, that's exactly what I said tonight--I don't want Ariel to think she's back to being a school horse. Bless those schoolies. Without them I wouldn't have found Miss A.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:59 am

Don't feel guilty, I'm sure your trainer was just asking to see if it was an option.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:28 pm

You put so much time and effort into making Miss A. your forever horse, no need to share her now. Guilt is feeling bad when you've done something wrong--you "just" empathize with the person looking for their equine partner.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Hell no, don't do it! I agree. It brings in so many more variables....never works very well to have two people riding the same horse- a horse that is in training.

I share my horse when it makes sense, but it's MY horse.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:48 pm

I would not feel guilty in the least. After all, NO is in fact a complete sentence.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”