Do They Want to Lease or Not?

Kamama
Greenie

Do They Want to Lease or Not?

Postby Kamama » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:57 pm

I inquired about leasing a horse from an acquaintance 3 months ago. The horse is a good fit for me.
The owner said yes and that she would work on creating a contract. She also state if it works out for me then we can talk about a possible purchase.
She gave me a date we could start the lease but she wanted to take said horse to an event first that she had already planned. I had no problem with that.
As date approached I heard nothing so contacted her. She did not have anything drawn up yet so I suggested we start the first of the next month.
No more communication from her and now I wonder if this person really, truly wants to lease this horse.
Should I bug her again (which I hate doing) or just wait to hear from her?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Do They Want to Lease or Not?

Postby PaulaO » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:03 pm

I have finally learned that if someone doesn't communicate with you, they are not interested. I would not pursue this, but look into other lease possibilities. If she's like this now, what would she be like if you leased her horse?

Kamama
Greenie

Postby Kamama » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:55 pm

I know this horse is her "go to" horse when others needs something to ride. But she even admits she has too many and needs help with costs. I think she is too attached to let this particular horse go as she has tried to steer me toward a couple others but I am not interested in them because they haven't even been started under saddle yet! I know she takes in rescues but I think it's almost bordering on hoarding. I don't want to get involved in that type of situation.
Thanks for the input.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:46 pm

I would find something else. This tells me she's going to be difficult to deal with. Not good in terms of future interaction.

Something is out there for you, good luck!

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:39 pm

After seeing the difficulty my friend is having in leasing and or buying, I am going to suggest you make sure this person knows you are still interested and keep reminding them until you are not interested.

I recently accompanied my friend on a 3 hour one way trip to look at a horse. The horse was lame. The owner said oh yeah she works out of that. No the horse did not work out of it and had an obvious problem that did not stand a chance in hell of working out.

I am seriously dreading the process of finding my next horse.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Is the horse staying at the current facility? I'm not sure that a formal lease needs to be drawn up, often partial leases just involve handing over some $$ and riding the horse a few times a week. It's different if it is a lease to own or if the horse is being relocated.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:52 pm

As long as you are sure they receive communication (ie- text went through,right email address) i would say no way. If they are this bad now, how much worse in 6months?

It's the same for me no matter what the lease looks like, a pain in the butt owner can be awful and really ruin the experience.

I can see her point, I am totally neruotic about my horse, he is very special and I am terrified of anyone ruining him, he will never be leased. So maybe in the end this helped her see what works for her and not. She might not be able to be very upfront which is unfortunate....but she is "telling you" by her silence.

Lots of horses to lease, good luck in finding the right match.

The owners are the hard part, not the horses. ;)

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:01 pm

Ryeissa wrote:Lots of horses to lease, good luck in finding the right match.

There may be lots to lease but sound horses some training and no behavior issues are not a dime a dozen even in a wide radius around where my friend is looking.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”