Horse First Aid Kit - What's in yours?

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Horse First Aid Kit - What's in yours?

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:41 pm

What is contained in your horse first aid kit?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Horse First Aid Kit - What's in yours?

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:47 pm

I don't have one. But if I did, I would have triple antibiotic cream, saline solution for wound irrigation, VetWrap or something like that, non-stick gauze pads, cotton rolls, standing wraps and bandages. I'm not sure what the current recommendation is for wound cleansing. Might still be Betadine?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Banamine, powdered bute, Underwood's & baking soda, Schreiner's Solution, digital thermometer, ointment (different kinds), manuka honey, gauze, nonstick pads, lots and lots of vetwrap, clean wash cloths, standing wraps, flexible ice packs, liniment.
Keep calm and canter on.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:55 pm

I'd also add scissors and Elasticon. Maybe Ace also. And syringes and needles.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:08 pm

I need to update mine. All the soap, ointments, etc are pretty old and been in the ambient temperature (freezing to fire :P ). Recently I added some Alu-Spray and Hydrogel to my potions. That Alu-spray works well, at least on minor wounds.

I don't have quite as many potions as Straightforward but I have lots of bandaging stuff...Vetwrap, gauze, leg cotton, standing wraps, gauze pads, sanitary napkins (sometimes they are a better choice...absorbent and shaped better for that long jagged 8 inch cut), Elastikon, and duct tape. Must have bandage scissors. I also have a stethoscope. Very helpful to inform the vet of heart rate in case of colic. I have probably used the stethoscope more than anything else (thankfully haven't had to use any of it much). I have saline eye rinse for eye issues.

I also have a small supply of bandaids and the 2 inch Vetwrap in case the human part of the equation needs tending. I have all this in a tackle box type soft sided bag that I can just grab and sling in the trailer.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Vet wrap (several rolls), stethoscope, mercury thermometer, diapers, gamgee bandage, alcohol wipes, sterile gauze bandages, epsom salt (several bags), benadryl tabs, ichthammol salve, desitin cream, corona, tubes of banamine and bute paste (in home fridge). Beyond these items, most situations would require a trip to or visit from vet, for me.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:07 pm

PaulaO wrote:I'd also add scissors and Elasticon. Maybe Ace also. And syringes and needles.

Oh yeah, those too (not Ace). And betadine.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:51 am

I have some antibiotics from treatments past (SMZs and mets) banamine (paste and usually bottle but it is hard to get right now) bute powder, DMSO, various ointments for various treatments (cortisone and zinc oxide mix is a favorite of mine) throat spray (Rip is still on this treatment for NCS) many many syringes/needles, all sorts of bandaging materials for hooves and legs, duct tape!, some out dated meds that needs to be disposed of (oxytocin from foaling out mares, some injectable antibiotics) my favorite all time poultice for legs and feet: magna paste aka epsom salt poultice, thermometer (digital at this time, used to always use mercury but I have one who does not like temp taken so not comfortable using mercury one on her) injectable dex which is a good one to mix with ointments for treating swollen legs or for dew poisoning, various eye ointments because buggy eyes can be a problem here in the horrid gnat population in middle GA, I'm sure I am forgetting something!

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks for the replies! Keep 'em coming. My kit is old, and I'm refreshing it, so I'm curious to know what others keep in theirs.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:10 am

In addition to much of the above, I carry flexible necked syringes (great for flushing puncture wounds), tube antibiotics (again, puncture wounds), poultice pads, eye ointment (conjunctivitis), liquid bandaid, big bottle of Benadryl, a few individual shelf stable containers of apple sauce, surgical tubing, and multiple sizes of needles and syringes.

My older mare is prone to eye injuries and puncture wounds. At this point the vet just asks what I need — her or meds.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:43 pm

BloodStop powder! Banamine, Bute, VetWrap, Betadine, Scarlet Red for little scrapes, sanitary pads to absorb blood and help with compression with VetWrap until the vet arrives.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”