What is your opinion about this?

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

What is your opinion about this?

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:07 pm

I know I haven't been on in a while, been super busy recently with horse, work, studying and dancing recently. Something that is bugging me recently with one of the other ladies at my yard. Had a lesson today, driving in, past Delilah's paddock noticed one of the other mare's owners has parked her pickup infront of the paddock gate and is feeding her two mares carrots in the paddock.

My issue isn't so much with her feeding in the paddock (although I do feel she should have taken the two mares out one at a time to feed them), my issue is more with the fact that she has parked her pickup in such a way that she is totally blocking the gate so no one else would be able to get a horse in or out the paddock. This isn't the first time she has done this, last time she had to move her pickup since I needed to put Delilah back in the paddock. I will tell my stable manager about this when I see her on Monday.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: What is your opinion about this?

Postby PaulaO » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:17 pm

No big deal. I assume she remains on the property while her truck is in front of the gate. It's a pain though that you have to ask her to move. There's always someone like that.....

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:05 pm

She's just clueless. As long as she moved - and moves - when you ask without protest... I think there are bigger worries in life.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:07 am

If she remains in view of her truck I wouldn't worry about it at all. If she leaves it and it becomes inconvenient (ie having to track her down) then it's a problem. Have you looked at the parking up close? It might not be blocking it as much as it seems to be from a distance.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:18 am

Annoying, but there are bigger fish to fry, try not to let it get to you.

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:12 am

Okay I guess it got to me more because she is that one person at my yard that will do something that most people would realise is a bad idea. I just generally have a negative attitude towards her partly because she had a tendency to insist on doing groundwork with her one mare that has a tendency to pull away and run off in the arena right next to the arena where I was riding my then recently backed mare with a tendency to buck. Lets just say after that day if I saw her wanting to work that particular mare, I make sure to find somewhere where I don't have to watch her 'work' her horse. She has a trainer she works with, but like my stable manager says she just goes back to the same mistakes the next time she works the horse after the lesson.

I guess when I saw her truck yesterday, my first thought was "Really, you again?".

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:30 am

Sounds like you have an issue with the person. Either get over it or have an adult conversation with her. Barn dynamics are
complicated but this is something that can be easily solved with adult behaviour.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:31 pm

at my barn conversation about how some one trains her horses behind her back is strongly discouraged, if that was my barn manager, she would likely not be my barn manager for long.

but then i also feed my horses in groups in pasture

I do have a designated parking area but allow people to park in other areas when they are loading or unloading

thinking about it, you have trouble solving your horses bucking problem, and she has trouble solving her horses pulling problem, you should be able to empathize.
Last edited by Chisamba on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angfreda
Herd Member

Postby Angfreda » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Maybe she parked where she did because it was the only place that would not be destroying grass?
Why does she have to drive there, ie to the paddock/pasture, to begin with though? Curious.
But there are bigger fish to fry than this.
Last edited by Angfreda on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:57 pm

When I arrived at the barn to haul my horse out for a ride, and someone had parked in front of my trailer and left with a friend for a nice leisurely 2-hour breakfast, I was pretty irritated, and pointed out that I could have been on my way to a show, or worse had a veterinary emergency. If the person is on site, no big deal, just ask for the car to be moved.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:12 am

I would not pick this particular hill to die on. I certainly wouldn't go to the barn manager about it. You'll make yourself the issue.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:47 pm

Ditto what Mountaineer said.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:She's just clueless. As long as she moved - and moves - when you ask without protest... I think there are bigger worries in life.

There are always bigger worries in life, I agree. But I can see the point. What a hassle to have to ask her to move. Some people are just clueless!

It's like those people in the grocery store who park their carts in the middle of the aisle and are just in the way. (I like to throw random items into their cart for being so clueless)

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Chancellor wrote:[(I like to throw random items into their cart for being so clueless)

OMG!!! I'm doing that!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Chancellor... I *love* your idea about tossing random stuff in their cart when it's in the way!!!!

Even more sporty to navigate around the clueless when you're in a w/c - and they give me the dirty look like I'm the one in the way.

Totally worst is our Krogers (Fry's here) on First Wednesday where all purchases are 10% off for "seniors"... OMG navigate then is even more sporty as the store is packed :)

ClickList is the most awesome invention in my eyes :lol:

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:39 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Chancellor... I *love* your idea about tossing random stuff in their cart when it's in the way!!!!

Even more sporty to navigate around the clueless when you're in a w/c - and they give me the dirty look like I'm the one in the way.

Totally worst is our Krogers (Fry's here) on First Wednesday where all purchases are 10% off for "seniors"... OMG navigate then is even more sporty as the store is packed :)

ClickList is the most awesome invention in my eyes :lol:

I'm really bad about doing that too. Clueless people irk me! And it makes me feel happy to throw some brown bread in a can into their cart!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:07 pm

I walk around the store smiling at people, giving way, offering to help, and it makes me feel happy. I don't shop in a hurry, and I don't intend to. Make a chore something to get angry or passive aggressive about.

To gloat and think its funny to be mean. Just wow.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:12 pm

Yikes, i'm a cart abandoner! I should check for wayward items! I always go up and down the aisles in the same order, if I realize I forgot something I will often pull over, 'park' and run back to get the single item vs doing a U turn and taking the cart back and forth....

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:37 pm

orono wrote:Yikes, i'm a cart abandoner! I should check for wayward items! I always go up and down the aisles in the same order, if I realize I forgot something I will often pull over, 'park' and run back to get the single item vs doing a U turn and taking the cart back and forth....

It's not as if we roll up all the windows and lock it and take the keys. Really, how hard is it to move a cart out of the way?

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:02 am

Well I don't exactly pull the cart across the aisle sideways...it seems to me like my method is less disruptive and faster when I'm grocery shopping with kids, but I guess others disagree. If a cart (shopping or stocking) is in my way I just move it as needed, and am thankful for wheels.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:38 am

Ask her to move if she’s in your way, and move on. That’s just not something worth complaining about to the barn manager.

As for the shopping cart thing, really? I just go around them. No effort involved.

The only time the aisle blocking bothers me is when it’s part of the pre-holiday grocery shopping madness when everyone is standing around randomly. That’s easily avoided by grocery shopping at 2 AM when it’s just me and the stockers, or shopping a week before (like I’m doing tomorrow).

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:18 am

Chisamba wrote:I don't shop in a hurry, and I don't intend to.

Good for you.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:21 am

orono wrote:I will often pull over, 'park'

There's the key.

Really though, I think everyone is just having fun, no one is losing sleep about shopping carts or trucks parked in front of gates - as long as they can be moved.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 pm

orono wrote:Well I don't exactly pull the cart across the aisle sideways...it seems to me like my method is less disruptive and faster when I'm grocery shopping with kids, but I guess others disagree. If a cart (shopping or stocking) is in my way I just move it as needed, and am thankful for wheels.

There is a difference between parking the cart to the side and someone leaving the cart in the middle of the aisle. A big difference.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:09 pm

Oh, so this has turned into a grocery store cart thing. I'll jump in! I live in the county of a small town. Everybody knows everybody and they catch up on their gossip and everything at the grocery store. They block entrances and exits of aisles with their cart. They block the middle of aisles with their cart. It's very annoying until you realize they are having a great time. Every once in a while I'll see somebody I know and I'll do the same thing. :lol: And by the way, is it buggies or carts?

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Chancellor wrote:
orono wrote:Well I don't exactly pull the cart across the aisle sideways...it seems to me like my method is less disruptive and faster when I'm grocery shopping with kids, but I guess others disagree. If a cart (shopping or stocking) is in my way I just move it as needed, and am thankful for wheels.

There is a difference between parking the cart to the side and someone leaving the cart in the middle of the aisle. A big difference.

Not really when management has filled the aisle up with displays. Being a "guy," I want to get what I want, pay for it and get OUT! It infuriates me when you have to navigate the maze of displays in the grocery aisles. When there are displays, only one cart at a time can navigate any given aisle.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:56 pm

OP - looks like your thread has been hi-jacked. :)

I live in a very populated area where people shop/push carts the way they drive their cars -some have no patience and can be aggressive. If you can make it walking from the parking lot into the store you are already ahead. I tend to have my list and simply go about collecting my items while I navigate an obstacle course. I try to avoid at all costs shopping at peak holiday or football game hours when the store is packed with shoppers. Again - some may literally hit you as they do not watch at intersections and plow on through. While others hang draped over the cart (to hold them up?) and may spend hours there. Probably the only food store I enjoy shopping at is a drive out to Whole Foods. There - I will eat lunch from their food court and always an enjoyable experience. Somehow everyone seems calmer there. :roll:

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:26 pm

To the OP, maybe start throwing manure in the back of her truck? Just kidding!!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Chancellor, I'm still trying to imagine bread in a can!!! I guess I'll find out if I abandon my buggy (yes, I live in the south) in your path :D :lol:

Rockabilly, I think our regional buggy driving is a lot like how we used to catch up with neighbors in the piedmont of NC: Stop on a quiet country road and chat facing opposite directions. It's way too hilly and windy where I live now to do that, although it is still common for people to pull over into one lane to catch up (and then cheerfully wave you on).

Josette, if I want a serene shopping experience, I go to Earthfare. If I want the impatient energy of NY but in the south, I go to Whole Foods! (but I love their customer service) If I want assistance unloading and packing my buggy, I go to Kroger :lol:

demi

Postby demi » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:36 pm

You'all need a Texas shopping cart. NO ONE will mess with you :lol:

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:39 pm

When I'm in the grocery store I'm usually thinking about what I need to buy, so do sometimes forget that some princess might come down the aisle at any time and lose her tiara because her path hadn't been kept sufficiently clear for her procession. :-)

AFA the manure in the back of the truck: she might appreciate it if she has a garden?

We used to ride our horses to the local store, where at least one of them would take a dump in the parking lot every time we went there. The owner, who was a local, would cheerfully come out with his shovel and scoop up the pile(s) and take it over and dump it in the garden. Fast forward many years to when someone from the city bought the store and we were soon banned from crossing their parking lot, not because any of our horses took a dump in it, but because their hooves left marks on the blacktop. I suspected that if a horse ever took a dump in that parking lot the owner would have called the cops.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:08 pm

kande50 wrote:When I'm in the grocery store I'm usually thinking about what I need to buy, so do sometimes forget that some princess might come down the aisle at any time and lose her tiara because her path hadn't been kept sufficiently clear for her procession. :-)

there are often two views to every situation.
When I am in the grocery store, rushing to get home to my dogs who need to pee, I do sometimes forget about the princess who is so self-involved she can't manage to move out of the way when she is busy day dreaming.
It isn't always about being a princess who loses her tiara. It may be someone is in a rush to let the dogs out, get to their child, see an ailing family member etc.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Chancellor everyone has a story. People have dogs, kids, disabled parents, illness, etc. People also have poor eyesight, have to count every penny and coupon shop, and. Some. Might have friends to chat too. I doubt that you have never unconsciously inconsiderate.

Otoh being intentionally inconsiderate seems seems like spitting into the face of Karma.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:36 pm

There are no rules about shopping. No driving lanes and parking lanes. No one us excluded. There are people with huge difference of ability, financial status, culture, and circumstances.

Being so affected by how those that you have no control over act is like drinking poison to punish some one else. I can't always remember this, but I try, when shopping, driving, working etc.

Is simply rather enjoy life

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Well, since we are off track...

@WheresMyWhite - do you use ClickList? What do you think? Our local Kroger (City Market) is going to offer it soon.

@LiteRiding - I agree with you on those aisle displays. The store where I usually shop is fairly new with wide aisles. But those displays really mess up traffic flow!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:32 pm

They are neither buggies nor carts. They are trolleys. One pushes a trolley, one pulls a cart or a buggy.

Whole Foods--OMG, I'd rather have a tooth extraction than shop in my local Whole Foods. Choc-a-bloc with the entitled second-home-owning wannabe yoghurt-knitters searching for organic chia-flavored tofu for little Jessica. (The irony being that the (tiny) parking lot is like a scene for Dante's inferno with them all duking it out for parking spots in their giant gas-guzzling SUVs.)

I do generally gut it out for the Christmas Turkey, however. My best scene in there was a lady on Christmas Eve, no less, totally losing her **it at some poor exhausted checkout clerk because they'd run out of chestnuts... "But, but, but... I wanted to roast them on my open fire!!! Christmas is ruined!!!"

And you should try it during the Sundance Film Festival, when LA comes to town. Thank God Smiths (Kroger) has a decent selection of organic food and fresh, local produce nowadays (Whole Foods coming to town did make them pull their socks up, I have to say.)

Rant over... sorry :)

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Mountaineer - LOL!! Yes - my "visit" to Whole Foods may be like someone going to Disney World. It is another reality for sure. :lol:

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:29 pm

i say Excuse Me a lot --tone of voice varies-- and i smile a lot; imo, no one really wants to be there, and we're all in the same boat/trolley/cart/buggy. and some of the best cashierline conversations have been with someone i initially saw as REALLY irritating.

and i'm with literiding-- those in aisle displays are annoying. i'm now tempted to take a page from chancellor, and add stuff to those displays!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Josette wrote:Mountaineer - LOL!! Yes - my "visit" to Whole Foods may be like someone going to Disney World. It is another reality for sure. :lol:

Whole Foods only came to Knoxville in the last year or two. The first few times I shopped there, all I saw were people visiting the store like it was Dollywood. Only a couple of us were actually buying things.

Now it is slightly more like a normal Whole Foods, but with about 1/5 the customer traffic of a WF in a major metro. Not bad at all. I just wish it were closer than 50 miles from home!

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Haha I love though how the topic changed :P I end up not getting on the forum due to dancing and suddenly it changes to annoying grocery shoppers.

I've just decided to keep doing what I've been doing the past few years which is just ignore her.

Never been in a wholefoods since I'm in South Africa but generally hate people getting in my space which is ironic since I do dancing and work at a school with 7 and 8-year-olds.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:12 pm

I know, this is such an incorrigible group. Give us a topic and we go where we want!

BTW, to translate Whole Foods market to you, it is popular in the US to call the store "Whole Paycheck." :lol:

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:28 pm

kande50 wrote:
orono wrote:Yikes, i'm a cart abandoner! I should check for wayward items! I always go up and down the aisles in the same order, if I realize I forgot something I will often pull over, 'park' and run back to get the single item vs doing a U turn and taking the cart back and forth....

It's not as if we roll up all the windows and lock it and take the keys. Really, how hard is it to move a cart out of the way?

???Where, in a grocery store, is a cart "out of the way"? It's always in the way of something.

I park my cart in what I hope are "out of the way" spots when I'm in the produce area, and walk from apples to broccoli. But there is no bare wall against which one can settle a cart. Maybe I'm "in the way" of the most favorite thing! Kale!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:32 pm

boots-aregard wrote:???Where, in a grocery store, is a cart "out of the way"? It's always in the way of something.

I ponder this frequently when encountering an abandoned cart blocking the only bag dispenser that has bags in the produce section. I think there's a magnet or homing device that says "leave your cart here."

demi

Postby demi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Is nobody reading this stuff?? They are called TROLLIES!! I know I called them carts, myself, but when I read Mountaineers post I realized my mistake! Anyway, trolly is such a fun word.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:56 pm

So carts are pulled and trollies are pushed. Makes sense. But why call a horse trailer a “float”? Or a truck a lorry?

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:19 pm

demi wrote:So carts are pulled and trollies are pushed. Makes sense. But why call a horse trailer a “float”? Or a truck a lorry?

Ok, being a person who only speaks one foreign language, English, with a modest degree of command, what is the difference between "trolly" and "tram?" I've heard the English call what I would call a "baby buggy" a "tram" (a push vehicle that an infant is transported in).

What use to be a trolly in the U.S. is now called a "light rail."

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:04 am

boots-aregard wrote:
kande50 wrote:

???Where, in a grocery store, is a cart "out of the way"? It's always in the way of something.

I park my cart in what I hope are "out of the way" spots when I'm in the produce area, and walk from apples to broccoli. But there is no bare wall against which one can settle a cart. Maybe I'm "in the way" of the most favorite thing! Kale!

Off to the side somewhere??? Also, I would bet money that it's never left for more than 60 seconds. I've encountered them before myself, and if I need something where they are I just push them forward a few feet, without getting irate.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:31 pm

piedmontfields wrote:I know, this is such an incorrigible group. Give us a topic and we go where we want!

Because really, how hard is it to just scroll on by? :-)

BTW, to translate Whole Foods market to you, it is popular in the US to call the store "Whole Paycheck." :lol:

As someone who feels like the less I spend on groceries the more horses I can support, I've never even set foot in a Whole Paycheck store. I have been to a similar grocery with friends, and was truly impressed with how much they wanted for the same kind of food I buy in the Half Paycheck grocery store.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:23 am

Literiding wrote:
Ok, being a person who only speaks one foreign language, English, with a modest degree of command, what is the difference between "trolly" and "tram?" I've heard the English call what I would call a "baby buggy" a "tram" (a push vehicle that an infant is transported in).

No, that's not a "tram," it's a "pram." Short for "perambulator."

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:22 pm

This is an awesome topic. :D Now I not only not know what to call the boat/trolly/cart/thing I put groceries in the grocery store, I'm going to be extra paranoid about where I put it when I have to leave it for 3 seconds to reach a high shelf for something. :lol:

I don't stress. I truly try not to go shopping when I'm busy, unless it's just to grab something and be in and out (no boat/trolly/cart/thing needed).

Whole foods is fine around here, or maybe I just don't often enough or during busy times. But Trader Joe's is another story. I guess one could consider it agility training.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”