Past Horse Race Question

angela9823
Herd Member

Past Horse Race Question

Postby angela9823 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:22 pm

Hoping someone here can remember horse's name, horse race...something about this. One of the Triple Crown Races (think it was Kentucky Derby) had a horse running in it that was bought really cheap and then trained in a very unconventional way - sometimes just running beside a truck. The horse was leading for part of the race but then ended up dead last - not even sure he completed the race. Does anyone remember anything about this? I've tried googling all kinds of ways. I just don't have enough info to go on. I remember it was a really controversial race because no one thought the horse should run due to the lack of training. But I can't remember year, horse or which race.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Past Horse Race Question

Postby Josette » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Mine that Bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e98WqKBTENo

oops - sorry I was thinking of this big race upset. I can't recall the horse you described who did not finish.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:00 am

Didn't know that about Mine That bird.

I don't like racing because of the meat grinder carnage but I admire Spicer Cub and think he might be the fastest racehorse ever. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbH3N5VJzBE

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:16 pm

The horse I'm thinking of was purchased really cheap. And if I remember correctly didn't race any other races. The guy barely trained him. He led the start of the race and then got demolished by everyone else. I'm doing a project at work and would like to use his story about the benefits of good training.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Maybe post this question in the Racing forum on TOB (i.e., COTH). Maybe someone there would know...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:51 pm

angela9823 wrote:Hoping someone here can remember horse's name, horse race...something about this. One of the Triple Crown Races (think it was Kentucky Derby) had a horse running in it that was bought really cheap and then trained in a very unconventional way - sometimes just running beside a truck. The horse was leading for part of the race but then ended up dead last - not even sure he completed the race. Does anyone remember anything about this? I've tried googling all kinds of ways. I just don't have enough info to go on. I remember it was a really controversial race because no one thought the horse should run due to the lack of training. But I can't remember year, horse or which race.

horses have to qualify for all the triple crown races, so this sounds unlikely to my logic

phar lap was trained unconventionally but he was a winner but not USA.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:12 pm

Yes. I've been actively following the KD for over 40 years and I don't remember anything like this. Phar Lap and Mine The Bird were both inexpensive and kind of flukes, but neither fits this bill.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”