Thanksgiving Day plans

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Thanksgiving Day plans

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:09 pm

What are y'all doing? I'm celebrating with my sister, brother-in-law, his sister and brother-in-law. Small group. I won't see Miss A. on T-Day since the barn closes at 2pm and I won't have time to go before driving to sister's. That's o.k. She doesn't know it's a holiday! I am working Friday. Don't want to waste a day of PTO. Thanksgiving Eve (tonight) is one of my favorite non-holidays. I'll get in my jim-jams early and watch teevee with Ursala Kitteh. I also want to put up a few Christmas decorations....

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Re: Thanksgiving Day plans

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:45 pm

I am cooking and baking today for a small group tomorrow. I've made dressing which is in the oven right now. I've brown turkey parts and vegetables to make gravy. There will also be mashed potatoes, green beans, jello salad, homemade rolls, deviled eggs, pumpkin roll cake and a few other things. I will try to do all I can today. Yeah, this is the South!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 pm

There will either be three or four of us, depending on friend's boyfriend... Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, roast potatoes and parsnips, Brussels sprouts, pear almond cake and a lemon tart. There will be leftovers :) I will spend much of tomorrow in the kitchen, which is my happy place.

I bought one of those legless turkeys. I hope it will be OK. A whole turkey for 4 seemed like overkill.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:12 pm

I'm hosting my parents, my brother and his family, and three of my kids plus two significant others. A headcount of 13. Would have had 17, but my eldest son and his family are heading to his in-laws out of state this year.

This afternoon has been house cleaning with the help of my daughters--one who just arrived from college 500 miles away-- and pie making. Tomorrow will be cooking the turkey, rolls, stuffing and side dishes. The bird and alot of the veggies, plus the apples for the apple pie, are all grown/raised right here by me. Kind of neat to look at the big meal and see all the pieces of summer. 8-)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:44 am

It will just be the two of us, as per usual. For a few years my dad was coming through town in early November, so we'd do an early TG, but now he comes through in September. I'll go out and ride in the morning, then come home and get to cooking.

I'm excited about the menu. With just two we can splash out for some fancy ingredients:

Duck 2 ways: smoked breast and confit for the legs
Chanterelle duck gravy
Meyer lemon cranberry sauce
Smashed potatoes
Brussels sprouts with a honey-mustard pan sauce
Leeks with gruyere
Pecan pie
Sweet potato pie
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:35 am

Oooh. leeks! I'd forgotten I have leeks in the fridge!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Wow, mountianer, what a menu! Sounds delish!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:56 pm

I forgot to add I made a Orange Cranberry Babka.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:31 pm

Small simple thanksgiving meal with direct family. although i am not sure a turkey counts as a small meal. I am working tonight at the group home, and have a very full friday at the barn. although riding and teaching is way better than shopping madness, imho

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:39 pm

We are in northern New Hampshire for Thanksgiving with my sister and brother-in-law. Just us today. Tomorrow, my nephew and his wife will come, and my childhood best friend and her SO will come by for a visit. Traditional menu - turkey, squash, mashed potatoes, cranberry, and pumpkin pie. Fire in the fireplace :) Best of all - my BIL and husband do the cooking!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:55 pm

For Thanksgiving we had planned to have dinner at MIL's where dh's oldest son, middle son and two teenage grandkids were going to make a wild turkey dinner with all the fixin's. The dinner party went off great, but I was not there. My beloved youngest nephew died from an accidental drug overdose sometime on Nov 19. I had left-over Thanksgiving on Friday.

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:38 am

Sue B wrote:For Thanksgiving we had planned to have dinner at MIL's where dh's oldest son, middle son and two teenage grandkids were going to make a wild turkey dinner with all the fixin's. The dinner party went off great, but I was not there. My beloved youngest nephew died from an accidental drug overdose sometime on Nov 19. I had left-over Thanksgiving on Friday.

I'm so sorry.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Sue B, that is terrible. I'm so sorry for you and your family.

This is such a massive problem in the US right now. Probably most of us even on this board have been touched by addiction and its consequences.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:29 am

I'm so sorry, Sue B.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:29 pm

That’s just terrible Sue B. I’m sorry for your loss.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:21 pm

I feel bad for kinda hijacking this thread. Thank you for your thoughts though. He will be greatly missed.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”