Where is everyone????

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Where is everyone????

Postby PaulaO » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:09 pm

Out Christmas shopping?????

What's new with me and Miss A? I've ridden her twice in the sheepskin half pad with no baby pad. She seems fine with it. Regular quilted pads always left the quilt pattern on her coat even if she wasn't hot. No impressions with the sheepskin. She learned leg yielding in one session. Not perfectly, of course. She also learned trot-walk-trot and anticipates, which isn't a good thing, but I'll take that over "no, I never heard of it." I've been riding with my thighs and not using much lower leg. Yesterday we were trotting along and I accidentally touched her with my lower leg and she did a nice lengthening. She is so smart!

Hayburner

Re: Where is everyone????

Postby Hayburner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:08 pm

Paulo - It has been a bit slow on here lately...I haven't even started my shopping yet!!!

Glad that Ms. Ariel likes her new pad - I use the back on track with a 1/2 pad in sheepskin. My mare seems to like it - but, since she's 1/2 crazy you never really know what she likes and doesn't like...LOL...

In the summer I use the Lettia Coolmax pads - Smartpak just had them on sale so naturally I had to get 2 and it was a free embroidery day, so I had her name put on them and a blingy silver crown...she is the princess, you know...LOL

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:01 pm

It has been quiet, hasn't it?

On the subject of saddle pads, my Miss A seems to appreciate a little wool next to her back as well. I got a merino lined LeMieux for her show pad and really liked it. My new saddler (don't dare call her a saddle fitter!) agreed that was the right choice for her, so I ordered two of the black shaped pads with the merino lining. Looking forward to them arriving this week since the square pad is bulky and makes it awkward to get my saddle into my tack locker.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:56 pm

I haven't been riding lately, but I just bought 2 pads from capstone's web site. Excited for them to arrive. She helped me pick out the colors.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:19 pm

StraightForward wrote:It has been quiet, hasn't it?

On the subject of saddle pads, my Miss A seems to appreciate a little wool next to her back as well. I got a merino lined LeMieux for her show pad and really liked it. My new saddler (don't dare call her a saddle fitter!) agreed that was the right choice for her, so I ordered two of the black shaped pads with the merino lining. Looking forward to them arriving this week since the square pad is bulky and makes it awkward to get my saddle into my tack locker.

Can you link to what your ordered??

I didn't know you have a Miss A! Chestnut mare with attitude??????

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm on the verge of going on holiday, so am trying to get all in order at home, barn, work!

For those shopping, I recently got a very pretty browband from a young woman at my barn. $30 for a custom band. See https://www.facebook.com/belovedbrowbands/

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm

PaulaO wrote:
StraightForward wrote:It has been quiet, hasn't it?

Can you link to what your ordered??

I didn't know you have a Miss A! Chestnut mare with attitude??????

Yes, I ordered two of these, though I thought they didn't have the roll in back. Guess I'll find out when they get here: http://www.centerlinestyle.com/lemieux- ... t-out-pad/

Centerline Style does %off sales fairly regularly if you sign up for their emails, so I got two of the pads for just under $200 shipped.

Plenty of posts about Annabelle over on the training forum. ;)
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:31 pm

I plan on not shopping for anything but food this year, haha!

My news is all decidedly non horsey, so I don't post a lot. New renters in my rental house, enjoying the motorbike (300+ miles every week).

Ponies are fat and happy (somewhat feral), the baby pony turns 2 on Sunday. We managed to get haylage (wrapped hay) made: 40 bales as compared to 23 off more acerage last year! Thankfully a friend bought nearly half, another person a few, and the contractor took half, so we only have 4 left (each is equivalent to 10 conventional size hay bales).

There's more, work-related, it's all non-horsey too! :)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:45 pm

We can do non-horsey stuff!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:34 pm

I posted some stuff in Politics to see if I could stir up some life. :D We've had stellar autumn weather so I've been out working and riding pretty solidly as long as it's been light. And the holiday parties are starting...
Our weather is changing as I write this; this morning I drove to get a big bale to set (an every-six-day-event), moved the ponies into a new pasture with their new bale, then dragged the pasture they were in to break up the manure before it freezes in place for the winter. Did I mention the wind has been blowing a pretty steady 30 knots with higher gusts, for 36 hours? Bleh.
Sixty degrees yesterday, 30 degrees right now. Double bleh.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:44 pm

Ugh...I hardly see my horse anymore, let alone ride. I just can't seem to catch a break.

Very heavily into elder care. Both parents...My Mom fell a few weeks ago and although she didn't break anything, she hasn't been as mobile as usual.
My Dad is getting hyperbaric oxygen therapy to try and save his toes and he has to go 5 days a week for 4-6 weeks. Quite the process since he has to change into special scrubs and remove his teeth. Then get him there for his 2 hour treatment and home again and back into all his regular clothes and his teeth in. Just the clothes changes with his degree of disability is exhausting and my sister has been doing most of that while I try to keep their house clean and in working order. I try to spell her at least one day during the week to take him for his treatment. She is retired and I am not. Full time job that has been bonkers lately. I am a hospital pharmacist and between company mergers, supply issues and hurricanes we have had severe drug shortages and it has been bad trying to keep the meds flowing. Just things like morphine and saline bags! We have this huge spread sheet that literally changes daily as to what we have and how we are to make specific IV meds.

Oh and in October, I was unloading shavings at the barn when one bale got a mind of it's own and started to fly off the tailgate of the truck. Now mind you, it is just a stinking bag of shavings but reflex was it to try and catch it. I twisted and tweaked my back. At the time it was sore but it improved steadily until about 2 weeks later and pow...severe sciatica down my left leg clear down into my 2nd and 3rd toes :o . So, doctors orders are basically to do nothing. For about a week and a half, I couldn't even tolerate the usual stretches. It does seem to be settling down to where I can start physical therapy. Just what I need is something else to fit in my day but I have got to get some core strength back. With the tailbone issue and surgery my core got up and went. Not really riding much for 2 years has really contributed to the weak core. It is amazing how much just riding (w/t/c) helps. I am going to try riding again hopefully by February. My butt is still sore post surgery but the pain seems to be waning and more tolerable. Still not comfortable but not screaming stoooppp.

Luckily (I guess) our very mature family (I am the baby at 62) is not doing the gift thing for Christmas. My parents can't afford it and both my sister and I just get what we want so no need for more stuff. We are just going to enjoy good food and each others company.

So, I have been crazy busy and really haven't had much to contribute on the training front. I go out a couple times a week and pat her on the nose and try for a grooming session. I am trying her au naturale (nekkid with no blanket) this winter so I don't have to watch the weather report and fret about if the blanket she has on is too much or too little (mostly self care barn). So far she is doing fine and cleaning the mud off gets me some exercise.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:47 pm

My husband has been and is sick. He spent 5 days in the hospital where they had to give him 4 pints of blood and intravenous iron. He has Iron Deficient Anemia. Iron Deficient Anemia is serious! He was pale as a ghost before he went to the hospital. He is feeling much better, but no where near the blood and iron level he needs to be. A Hemotologist has now been added to his list of doctors.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 pm

OMG! Get and stay healthy everyone!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Echoing Tarlo's sentiments!

RB, is iron deficient anemia something your husband has always had?

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:08 pm

I'm excited about job news, but echo Kyra's comment "I hardly see my horse anymore, let alone ride. I just can't seem to catch a break."

I have been working full time, commuting about 1.5-2 hours each way on weekends (ie home Thurs night and back to flat/work location Sunday). I also was studying, 3/4 full time equivalent. And trimming, I had 15 horses (now down to 12 I think it is), anyway that was sucking up 3 weekend days out of every 4 or 5 weekends.

"Busy" is an understatement!

Combine that with a messy relationship (on again, off again, then one last shot at making it work which came to a head 2 weeks ago).

Now, I have time, and I don't feel like riding at all. I need to decompress. I have done a bit of sewing since handing in my final assignment - I've been putting that off for ages because I didn't have time to commit to even sorting out which pattern would suit the fabric, let alone setting out the pattern pieces and cutting things with some kind of certainty I wasn't screwing it up *haha*.... I'm enjoying that.
Work Christmas functions last night and next week, catching up with some friends finally (I feel like I have so much time on my hands now!!!!!).

Work has just stepped up, I've taken on a Project Manager role for the internal side of a project (finances, contract docs, etc) which is awesome, and great timing. I moved jobs just over a year ago to chase my career, so this is propelling that along quite nicely. I'm excited.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:51 am

I've been riding and driving! My health has greatly improved in the last year (I have lupus), and for a year I've been back to riding my Morgan mare, Retta. Then three months ago I was given a trained driving pony, so I've been driving all over our rural neighborhood having a blast. I've been spending a lot of time at the barn riding and driving and not so much computer time. :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:27 am

I've been painting.

I used to paint, spent 5 years at art school, exhibited in group shows in London, had a solo exhibition in New York, sold a bunch of stuff all over the world. Then when we moved to Utah, my eyesight got a bit wonky, and a few other things happened and I really stopped almost completely. (The 5 years at art school dinged my confidence that what I was doing was really worthwhile, and my father was a big cheese in the international art sales world, and was frankly rather dismissive about my work.)

A couple of months ago, my husband and I got dragged out of our nest to a local up and coming professional group art exhibition. Something I've generally avoided like the plague, I must admit. After about the third time I'd muttered to him "I really could do better than that," he said to me "well, why on earth don't you, then?"

So. I came home, dusted off my studio space and my watercolors, and have been hard at it ever since. I'm happy to say, I'm a bit rusty, but it's coming back together again, and I can draw and paint with bifocals after a bit of practice. I'm rather liking some of the things I've done. Not Important International Art World worthwhile, but we can't all be David Hockney.

What with it being nutso busy at work, and rehabbing Laddie, I'm sitting up here in my workspace at 11.30 at night, setting up a new painting. But I'm happy as hell.

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:57 am

I've been running around like a chicken without a head
I work at a primary school as a teaching assistant and it's the last week of the school year here in South Africa. I'm also changing to PE teacher for GR 1-3 next year so on top of my assistant duties I also need to prep for next year as we need to hand in our prep for the first ten days next year on friday. Luckily the teachers that taught pe this year gave me their files with the prep, but I need to do prep for the GR 2 teachers in terms of getting rewards charts laminated, laminating number charts for the desks etc, etc since as of yet they don't have a new assistant for next year. Thank goodness this year all the teachers are using the same colour paper for their number charts, but class sizes are bigger so still lots of work.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:20 pm

Nothing new going on here. I manage to ride a couple times a week just to try to maintain some muscle, but have no interest in doing much other than spending time with my horses and getting some exercise. Sting's perfect for both because he loves to interact, and because he has more movement to his trot and canter than any of the others so I get a better workout. And he has a lot more endurance so can keep going for longer without exerting himself.

As my interest in riding has waned I've gotten into pottery more, so have been practicing on the wheel a lot. It all started when one of my nieces asked me if I could make vases for the centerpieces for her wedding, and now I'm right back into it again.

I'm finding that making pottery (or anything for that matter) is much more gratifying now that I don't have to fit it in around work. I've even gotten into painting on pots again, which I thought I was all done with (too fussy). But I painted a vase for my sister, who has Jack Russells, and now I find that it's just like riding in that if I can get started I'll get into it.
IMG_0816 (2) (640x480).jpg
IMG_0816 (2) (640x480).jpg (78.91 KiB) Viewed 25225 times

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:40 pm

kande50 - that is adorable! And Moutaineer - I am so happy to hear you are painting again. I wanted to go into an art field but my parents strongly discouraged me and being young and thinking I should be an obedient daughter, I went into software development. I have been regretting it for 34 years to be honest, but also have made a good living and I am good at what I do. I just wouldn't miss it if I stopped doing it tomorrow.

I lost my horse to old age 2 years ago this month and am missing him just as much as ever. I have been riding my friends' horses fairly regularly though. All the benefits of riding without the expense or the worry. It is unlikely that I will ever get another horse. I just want to save my money at retire and then I also would like to get back into my art and learn how to throw pots and do ceramics.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:05 pm

LeoApp wrote:kande50 - that is adorable! And Moutaineer - I am so happy to hear you are painting again. I wanted to go into an art field but my parents strongly discouraged me and being young and thinking I should be an obedient daughter, I went into software development. I have been regretting it for 34 years to be honest, but also have made a good living and I am good at what I do. I just wouldn't miss it if I stopped doing it tomorrow.

I often wonder what my life would have been like if I'd chosen to go into art instead of a 40 hour/week job? I suspect that I wouldn't have lasted long as an artist because it soon would have turned into work instead of fun, which would have brought me to the realization that if I was going to have to spend so much of my time doing something I didn't really want to do then I might just as well spend it doing something more lucrative.

I lost my horse to old age 2 years ago this month and am missing him just as much as ever. I have been riding my friends' horses fairly regularly though. All the benefits of riding without the expense or the worry. It is unlikely that I will ever get another horse. I just want to save my money at retire and then I also would like to get back into my art and learn how to throw pots and do ceramics.

That was my plan for retirement too, except I really like having my own horses because I think it would be too frustrating to put so much time into a training project and then have to give it up because the owners decided to sell, or something.

My dh and I were just talking about this the other day when we rode by our neighbors' horses, who don't get ridden much. So many people around here keep horses they don't ride at all, or seldom ride, and they'd be more than happy to have someone come and ride their horses, or ride with them. But for some reason there are very few riders who want to ride others' horses on any kind of a regular basis. They're willing to come and ride once or twice when they feel like it, but don't want to ride on any kind of a regular schedule.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Kande - I love your pottery! It's beautiful!

Mountaineer - I would love to see some of your work! Please share!

We have a few artists on this board!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:57 pm

kande50 - you make a good point about art as a career. I was worried that it would not be fun anymore if I HAD to do it as opposed to doing it for fun.
As far as riding others' horses, these two horses I ride are not projects, and will not be sold. The owners are in their 60ies and both say that these are their last horses. They want to keep them around as long as possible.
We just trail ride and both horses are very well trained. I take them in the ring when I feel like it and give them a tune up,but we don't have to get ready for any shows so it's all fun.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Here are a couple of recent projects :)

First is a mouse's eye view of Fall:
20171125_133440_resized.jpg
20171125_133440_resized.jpg (200.13 KiB) Viewed 25185 times

Antler shed
20171114_215417_resized.jpg
20171114_215417_resized.jpg (238.45 KiB) Viewed 25185 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:00 pm

And to prove I don't only paint compost:

20171109_230554_resized.jpg
20171109_230554_resized.jpg (178.29 KiB) Viewed 25185 times
20171105_115601_resized.jpg
20171105_115601_resized.jpg (203.05 KiB) Viewed 25185 times

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:45 am

So, amid all my busy-ness, I found an apartment to put an offer in on. Currently waiting a response to that (submitted late yesterday).

Cross your collective fingers, please! :D

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:15 am

Mountaineer -

Lovely work! I particularly love how you've done the grasses - the form and the shadows.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:17 am

Moutaineer wrote:Here are a couple of recent projects :)

This is amazing work, and IMO, it's a very good thing that the dh pushed you into painting again, because it would have been such a shame to waste such talent.

Angfreda
Herd Member

Postby Angfreda » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:16 pm

kande50 wrote:
LeoApp wrote:kande50 - that is adorable! And Moutaineer - I am so happy to hear you are painting again. I wanted to go into an art field but my parents strongly discouraged me and being young and thinking I should be an obedient daughter, I went into software development. I have been regretting it for 34 years to be honest, but also have made a good living and I am good at what I do. I just wouldn't miss it if I stopped doing it tomorrow.

I often wonder what my life would have been like if I'd chosen to go into art instead of a 40 hour/week job? I suspect that I wouldn't have lasted long as an artist because it soon would have turned into work instead of fun, which would have brought me to the realization that if I was going to have to spend so much of my time doing something I didn't really want to do then I might just as well spend it doing something more lucrative.

That was my plan for retirement too, except I really like having my own horses because I think it would be too frustrating to put so much time into a training project and then have to give it up because the owners decided to sell, or something.

My dh and I were just talking about this the other day when we rode by our neighbors' horses, who don't get ridden much. So many people around here keep horses they don't ride at all, or seldom ride, and they'd be more than happy to have someone come and ride their horses, or ride with them. But for some reason there are very few riders who want to ride others' horses on any kind of a regular basis. They're willing to come and ride once or twice when they feel like it, but don't want to ride on any kind of a regular schedule.

I find your last paragraph interesting. People know I exist, they know I am horseless and now barn-less thanks to my last WS position... and no one, not one has offered me rides, either with them or for them. Maybe that says more about me than them. But these are also the same people who wanted me to lease horses who were in need of serious training, or offered to take me on as their WS stealing me from the BO I worked for or who tried to convince me to stay on with BO by suggesting I was a 2nd level rider with her, and destined to only get better.... so either they are all liars and I actually suck, or....???

That being said, riding other peoples horses can be a catch22. My BO where I was a WS wanted me to ride her 4th level stallion after her surgery to keep him in shape, and under her tutelage of course... I was against it because I felt I was not suited to ride him/at that level required, and I knew how she could be, hypercritical, and defensive [she feels threatened by others successes, even small ones]... so there was no way I was going to do it. Sadly I hear that he had colic issues after I left, probably in part because his schedule wasn't maintained while she was sick [and I did search for a rider for her while she was in the hospital including her former WS, as well as offer to lunge him a bit for her all to no avail.]

Angfreda
Herd Member

Postby Angfreda » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Rockabilly wrote:My husband has been and is sick. He spent 5 days in the hospital where they had to give him 4 pints of blood and intravenous iron. He has Iron Deficient Anemia. Iron Deficient Anemia is serious! He was pale as a ghost before he went to the hospital. He is feeling much better, but no where near the blood and iron level he needs to be. A Hemotologist has now been added to his list of doctors.

Big jingles for Mr. Rockabilly and everyone else feeling unwell.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:24 pm

I admire artistic ability so much! Beautiful work Kande and Mountaineer. I can barely draw a stick figure.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:31 am

Kande, that is a great pot. I love the earthy color with the glossy glaze--and of course, the dogs!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:57 am

Angfreda wrote:

I find your last paragraph interesting. People know I exist, they know I am horseless and now barn-less thanks to my last WS position... and no one, not one has offered me rides, either with them or for them. Maybe that says more about me than them. But these are also the same people who wanted me to lease horses who were in need of serious training, or offered to take me on as their WS stealing me from the BO I worked for or who tried to convince me to stay on with BO by suggesting I was a 2nd level rider with her, and destined to only get better.... so either they are all liars and I actually suck, or....???

Hard to say without asking them, and even then you might not get a straight answer.

I know that I strongly prefer to hire a pro when I'm looking for someone to ride a horse, because of the liability issues. It's also possible that they felt that when you were a ws you wanted to ride, and now that you aren't you don't?

That being said, riding other peoples horses can be a catch22.

It certainly can. I think both parties have to feel like they're getting a fair deal from the arrangement, because if one feels like they're being taken advantage of, or is frustrated by the restrictions or requirements, then it's not going to work.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:58 pm

I know that with all the stuff going on in my life, I can't keep up a regular schedule. If I make it to 3 lessons out of 4 in a month (!!!) I'm doing pretty well. Right now I'm looking for a new barn, and I caught a bad cold and have had to reschedule my first lesson there TWICE. They already have a bad opinion of me and we haven't even met yet.

I'd love to find "other people's horses" to ride, and I'd do a good job....when I could show up. But that kind of regularity has disappeared with my youth, and I just have to accept it.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Moutaineer - gorgeous work. I love it! I gazed at your "compost" pics (lol) and immediately breathed out and felt serene. It's people with talent like yours that make me think I was probably right not to pursue art as a profession. I am nowhere near as talented as you.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Thank you all for your kind comments. I'm kind of feeling my way at the moment, building a portfolio again and deciding where I want to take it... My professional life might be changing quite a bit in the next year, and it gives me some decisions to make.

I've started on a great big watercolor of white lilies in a red jug on a blue and white checked cloth which is probably the definition of biting off more than I can chew :)

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I've started on a great big watercolor of white lilies in a red jug on a blue and white checked cloth which is probably the definition of biting off more than I can chew :)

Looking forward to seeing it, and no need to wait until it's finished because the process is just fascinating.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:36 pm

silk wrote:So, amid all my busy-ness, I found an apartment to put an offer in on. Currently waiting a response to that (submitted late yesterday).

Cross your collective fingers, please! :D

The vendors have countered my offer, and I am yet to submit a counter-counter. Awaiting a little more information which has not been gathered yet, though should be with me today. Meanwhile I've been getting my financial ducks in a row, making the most of the delay (nothing is agreed yet, and I was concerned about my ability to gain finance approval in the 4 days the vendors wanted for due diligence).

I have more than the required minimum (20%) deposit from equity in my first property and savings, but serviceability is the concern [for the bank, not for me]. It looks like if mum is able to act as guarantor, we should get finance across the line, so, assuming the building inspection and drug test* come back with the all clear, I could own my second property before age 31, having bought my first by my 30th. If this isn't 'the one', another will come along soon enough.

* methamphetamine use is a huge problem in NZ and many rental properties are affected. Residue from drug use seeps into porous surfaces ie plywood/gib, soft furnishings, and so on. This property has been rented on a short-term basis, so this is a potential risk. I'll be living there and I don't want to be exposed to that. It can also affect mortgage and insurance, with insurers often requiring a negative (clear) test before they'll insure the property.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:58 pm

I am just back from Santa Fe (NM) and lots of expressive inspiration.

Mountaineer, I truly love the mouse's view! And you thinking to express that. Kande, your pot and glaze/pattern is very refreshing.

What an inspiring group. I just do sumi-style painting...and not enough lately. Because I'm a mercenary writer, it is kind of impossible for me to explore writing as art at this time, but that is probably where my actual heart self resides...

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:00 am

Santa Fe is very good for the soul, Piedmont. I think it might be where I would like to retire to when I get tired of the snow and cold here.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Mountaineer, I am trying on retirement locations with Mr. Piedmont and I think Santa Fe just zoomed up quite a bit higher on the list (if we stay in the US). We like the range of living options, as well as the overall culture and environment.

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Answering the original question, I've been lurking. My physician(s) have been trying to kill me and after getting sicker and sicker, my cardiologist finally declared I'm statin intolerant. So it may be a bit before I'm posting again. I have had a couple of opinions and did the basic research, but it really tough to split hairs and be totally logical when feeling like death is just around the corner.

Santa Fe is nice, but I must admit it's been forty years since the last time I was there. I also really liked the Taos area, not quite so over run by people, at least back then. A bit further afield but similar is Durango, Colorado. Being in Colorado, the state government is a bit more liberal than NM is.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:19 pm

Yikes, Literiding! I hope you can get it sorted out.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:46 pm

best wishes, literiding! hope you feel better very soon!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:42 pm

My third (and final!) offer was accepted. It is conditional on a very short timeframe for arranging finance, so I'm pushing the broker as hard as I can.
Fingers are still very firmly crossed.

Loving the art!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:18 am

Good news, Silk! Pictures of your new abode?

demi

Postby demi » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Literiding wrote:Answering the original question, I've been lurking. My physician(s) have been trying to kill me and after getting sicker and sicker, my cardiologist finally declared I'm statin intolerant. So it may be a bit before I'm posting again. I have had a couple of opinions and did the basic research, but it really tough to split hairs and be totally logical when feeling like death is just around the corner...

Literiding, sorry to hear you aren’t feeling well. I hope you get better soon. I always enjoy your comments and way of writing. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 am

Moutaineer wrote:Good news, Silk! Pictures of your new abode?

No photos, yet. I'm still waiting to hear about approval of the loan. Everything else appears to be in order - building report and drug test done today, so I should have that report back tomorrow or Friday.

Officially, we have 4 working days - ie the 8th of January - to satisfy the due diligence clause: NZ goes to sleep for about 2 weeks over xmas and new years.
BUT my solicitor is on holiday then (as will the vendor's solicitor be) so would like to get it wrapped up this week. The finance clause is due tomorrow, but, I could possibly stretch that out to the 8th under the due diligence (but the banks will be closed much of the holidays, too).

I'm still feeling hopeful, also very nervous.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:58 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Good news, Silk! Pictures of your new abode?

Here it is!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/22497879?s=51

Don't know settlement date yet but poached all the photos from the sale ad ;)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:14 am

It looks like a great location, Silk. Congratulations!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”