The Decrepit OTTB - Slightly Less Decrepit Now He's in Heaven!

Xanthoria
Herd Member

The Decrepit OTTB - Slightly Less Decrepit Now He's in Heaven!

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:09 am

Some of you may remember tales of my Little Orange Horse, the Decrepit OTTB. Well, He kept right on being Decrepit, only more so, until eventually Advanced Decrepitude meant he stopped breathing. Anyway, I'm feeling extremely sad about that, so you'll just have to sit and listen to my whines.

The early days
The Decrepit OTTB was not always decrepit! I know - surprise, right?! He was born in Paris, Kentucky, across the street from fancy pants Claiborne Farm if I recall correctly. He was by a Deputy Minister son who wasn't up to much, and his dam was sold with pre-Decrepit pre-OTTB in utero to this farm. They foaled him out, and sold him on. I try to imagine him as a bouncy, inquisitive frolic of orange fur. Then reality sets in and I imagine him being a little ratbag. Yes, that's my boy :mrgreen:

He went off to be a racehorse, and ran three times at ritzy places like Del Mar. He was about second to last in all three races and barely won enough to pay for vetrap for the bowed tendon he got. Pah!

So, all washed up he was sent to the kill pen in Bakersfield. :|

The Theme Park Days
He was picked up by Knots Berry Farm, the amusement park in S CA, and trained to pull a 4 in hand stagecoach. I imagine the little chestnut hooligan was not up for this. They named him Champ probably because he was relentlessly champing at the bit, or at other horses or people, or walls or vets or farriers. I expect he hated it, I expect someone got hurt, and after a year they gave up after what I imagine was an OSHA claim from some hapless park employee, or the Decrepit One just cracked and mauled an innocent park visitor or something. I don't know. :lol:

They dumped him back in the kill pen. Charming. :roll:

The Acquiring of the Beast
A nice lady named Gail used to go to the kill pen and post pictures of the knackered animals there, with a little blurb about them. This was her blurb about him:

#250 Chestnut TB Gelding. Blaze. Appx. 7-8 yrs. old. Appx. 16 hands. Looks like he might be a Running Quarter? This horse also drives (as you can see from the light colored spot on his mane where an ill fitting collar was!) A nice young horse with potential. He would require an experienced rider.

I saw this, and his photo, and as I had recently moved to the USA and was missing riding, and had a friend kind/crazy enough to agree to go in on this venture, decided to save his life dammit. She told me I could drive the trailer from SF to LA because I had done it before (I hadn't) and now that I think back I don't think I had a US drivers license either... but NOTHING was going to stop me getting that horse.

We stopped at a tack shop on the way so I could buy travel boots because Pony Club. It was 7 hours to get there, we were there a total of 15 minutes (to apply the boots, endure the resultant withering disgust of the seller, pay the $0.98/pound, and place horse in trailer), and we came right back home. :shock:

The horse screamed his head off the entire way, and my friend played country and sang along which at the time I hated, while I white knuckled that trailer home. Like I said: NOTHING was stopping me. :twisted:

During the ride I decided to name our fine new beast General Mayhem. He hopped off the trailer at 2.30am dead lame. Pfft. :roll:

The Adventures
I owned that animal for 17 years. I found out he was a 6 yr old OTTB and the other info in the next few months with some sleuthing - no idea what happened between age 3 and 6, aside from the 1 year at the amusement park.

We did a lot of stuff together: hunter paces, eventing, dressage, point to points, side saddle, team penning, drag hunting, hunter under saddle, show jumping, multi-night trail camps, barrel racing and trick training. Won lots of ribbons and a few trophies. But gradually he became decrepit. At 15 I retired him - we were schooling Training/Prelim x-c and I thought he was a bit off... and it was ringbone. I decided to stop: the only things we both really loved were jumping and galloping, and without those what was the point? He was retired on 30 acres for 8 years and he loved it. I saw him every day.

The End
He had recurring sinus infections this year, became a hard keeper, and just wasn't right. The second round of sinus drilling and 2 weeks in rehab he came home worse than before... and very lame, with a huge stifle. Into a stall he went, onto the bute, and he was starting to look and move better... Rads showed bad things though; he was scheduled for ultrasound, but the joint suddenly fell apart overnight... and I had to let him go last Thursday. He put up a solid fight over the Injection of Doom, and what can I say - he was right all these years: the damn vets WERE out to get him!

It was a torn anterior cruciate - my vet called me today to say he'd got the horse off the deadstock truck and opened up the joint so he could tell me he'd made the right call for sure.

So yeah. I'm having a sad. :cry:

I'll post some photos later...
Last edited by Xanthoria on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Decrepit OTTB - Slightly Less Decrepit Now He's in Heaven!

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:36 am

Ah, I'm sorry Xan. A mighty little horse of character and strength, indeed!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:36 am

Oh no. I am so sorry Xanthoria.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:20 am

I'm sorry. It sounds like you did wonderful things with him and gave him a great 17 years. He's so lucky you went down to that kill pen and chose him.
Keep calm and canter on.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:00 am

I'm so sorry. Losing them is so hard. There is nothing like an OTTB for heart. It sounds like you have a very compassionate vet who understands the need to understand and KNOW you made the right decision. You gave him a wonderful life.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:08 am

I'm sorry for your loss Xan and yes I remember the Decrepit One from earlier postings. Sometimes it is just so hard to be a horse (animal) owner making the tough decisions.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 am

I am sorry for your loss. I have been following the Decript One's issues on TOB. You certainly gave it your best.

I took care of a horse that had a bad stifle injury. He was slowly improving then bam, that leg failed completely. I suspect he had the same problem.

You certainly had your adventures and I have enjoyed hearing of them all. Again, my condolences.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:38 am

So sorry for your loss :(
I did enjoy reading your story about him (I hope that doesn't sound heartless!). What an interesting life he had and so nearly didn't.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:40 am

I'm sorry, Xan. You had a lot of adventures with him. It's so hard to lose them. Hugs.

ejm
Greenie

Postby ejm » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:52 am

Sounds like you gave him a wonderful life. It's never easy to let them go.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 am

Huge hugs, Xan. I looked through the FB photos and couldn't think of anything to say. I'm so sorry. I hope the hole in your heart becomes less gaping over time. You gave him a great life.
I can echo your vet's sentiment, though, about KNOWING... I farewelled my broken WB earlier this year, and afterwards I got some answers about her injuries. And I knew I had made the right decision, as hard as it was. Sadly we couldn't put Humpty back together again, but I KNEW.

(((Xan)))

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Oh Xan, showing your trademark humor, even through the tears. You gave him such a wonderful life and racked up so many fun times and memories. Godspeed General. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. WOW! - what a life time of memories you have with this horse. He was one to the FEW lucky ones when you came along. Hugs

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:27 pm

I certainly remember the Little Orange Horse and your postings about him.

Thank you for sharing his and your history.

So sorry you had to say good bye - you certainly gave him a better life than what he was destined to before you saved him.

Hugs and Healing vibes in your loss of the Little Orange Horse.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Oh Xan, I'm so sorry. What a wonderful pair you became, and you did right by him all the way to the end. {{{hugs!}}}

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:56 pm

So sorry for your loss, Xan. He sure gave you a lot of memories! What a lucky guy he was to land with you.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:33 pm

Man, Xan, its hard to make me laugh and cry at the same time but you did it. A toast, to General Mayhem! And to you, a toast, a hug, and a thank you.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Your love for each other is so obvious in your post. That doesn't make it easy though. I know you will always treasure your adventures together. I'm so sorry for your loss.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks for giving General a chance and a great life...if you get another horse, I hope it is the soundest horse in the world. With the best temperament and best trainability, and the best gaits, and stunningly beautiful, and that someone gives it to you free. Really. You deserve it. I am sorry for your loss. I think you are a true horsewoman.

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:07 pm

So sorry! I loved reading about him. He certainly had a wonderful life with you.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:55 pm

First - HUGS, Xan!

Second - thank you for sharing the story. You had a good journey with him.
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your adventure of and with him.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:06 pm

demi wrote:Thanks for giving General a chance and a great life...if you get another horse, I hope it is the soundest horse in the world. With the best temperament and best trainability, and the best gaits, and stunningly beautiful, and that someone gives it to you free. Really. You deserve it. I am sorry for your loss. I think you are a true horsewoman.

Aw thanks demi - I do feel like I've had plenty of bad luck with horses over the years. I bought a 6 month old replacement who was 5 in June and he's got shivers! He does have the best temperament, trainability and is stunning tho. Was not free :lol:

And thanks everyone else for the kind words. It has been rough, but I am taking lots of solace from the fact that the General had a long retirement and a quick passing. He ran, he jumped, he took a joke, and he kept his belly full! Here he is doing things he liked:

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:36 pm

Xan, Sorry for your loss, but he had a great run. Have enjoyed all the photos and videos of him on your social media. He was obviously the luckiest pony in the world and celebrated that a whole lot.

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:03 am

I'm so sorry. He was lucky to have landed in your trailer. Godspeed over the bridge red horse.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:12 am

Aww Xanthoria, what a lovely tribute to the Decrepit one. So sorry for your loss.

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:00 am

Darn, Hugs to you!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:09 am

What fabulous pictures! That's a happy horse, and you look pretty happy too!

So glad you found each other and many condolences on the passing of the good General.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:11 pm

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing his story and the lovely pictures, he certainly was a lucky boy to have landed with you after his rough beginnings.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:02 am

Xan I'm so sorry :(. That day you took him side saddle in Golden Gate Park was the day you became one of my heroes. I shudder to think the mischief the General and Freeway are getting into, the far side of the bridge has undoubtably gotten a little more rowdy since the Orange horse arrived!

(((Xan)))

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Xan what a huge loss. I am so sorry. And what a beauty.

You made a difference and you will always have that along with your wonderful memories.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:11 pm

What a beautiful eulogy. I love the bottom photo of "General doing things he liked!" He was a very lucky horse for the last 3/4-ish of his life.

Benatus
Greenie

Postby Benatus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 am

Godspeed!!
End of an era.

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:05 am

Oh Xan.... and seen a brief mention on COTH... but not the details. So sorry he's gone. Somewhere his spirit is reborn into another chestnut fur ball. Maybe you will find him someday.... or he'll find you

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:09 pm

It's been really comforting to read all your words... I'm so glad to have a place where people remember him.

I see him in the pasture, swear I hear his neigh, and yet he's not there. He was not an easy horse, but he was an honest and very brave horse, and he taught me patience while rolling his one good eye at my incredible ineptitude. I do miss his redheaded spirit of adventure! And in the end, he trusted me, which frankly was one of the crowning achievements of my life... :roll: :lol:

Yes digi, perhaps he has been reborn. I need to find him before he hurts someone... :?

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Hey Xan, so sorry about the General. It's been quite a few years now since I put down my awesome Seattle Slew baby (Scotty) due to side effects from heart failure and I still "see" him tearing around in my pasture. He was a rehab project who had been severely physically abused by a trainer, and was subsequently given to me by his owner/breeder. It took 6 years to fully gain his trust, but dang, all the tears (and a few injuries) were so worth it in the end. Maybe he and General are sharing notes.

Just as an aside, Scotty also had shivers but he went on to be a decent 2nd level schoolmaster. He could also piaffe and passage, it was the flying changes that held us back. So in regards to your post in the Training section, you can do it too with your new horse.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:16 pm

I wouldn't be concerned too much about the shivers, Xan. I know someone whose FEI horse has shivers and he is competing and doing well.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:34 pm

Oh, Xan. I haven't been on the board in ages, partly due to horse talk just being too painful. But seeing this, I had to dig out the old password.

Of course we all remember him. And your adventures together. I will share with you what I chose as a memorial marker for Ace. It's from Yeats, The Song of Wandering Aengus, with a slight variation in the first line.

To walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Oh that's lovely Rhianon! I'll save it.

DsMom
Greenie

Postby DsMom » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:07 pm

So sorry to hear about this.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”