Halloween rant

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Halloween rant

Postby boots-aregard » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:50 pm

Firstly, let me state that my DH is a gem. Mostly.
Secondly, let me state that I don't, as a rule, let him buy Halloween candy. That's my department because it's IMPORTANT, you know? But this year, I made a mistake and let him do the shopping.

I have only a little candy left and it's damn sure not going to the office because it's mine, all mine, but let me ask you: Who, on god's green earth, thinks 3 Musketeer's Bars and Baby Ruth are "Heck, the same thing?"

carpevita
Herd Member

Re: Halloween rant

Postby carpevita » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:57 pm

I cant believe he doesn't know the difference--either he's a heathen or he's kidding around!

ETA--Obviously he's never watched CaddyShack!!
Last edited by carpevita on Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:01 pm

My kid got 10 pounds of candy last night. Yes, I weighed it. 10 pounds and not a Baby Ruth to be found.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:05 pm

A bad thing happened here, too. I bought Gold Fish (those little cracker things) to take to a friend's house for her toddler's party. I was too sick to go. So I tried some. (a) too salty for babes, I think, and (b) I've discovered another snack food I can't resist ...

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Goldfish crackers with large glass of milk is a guilty pleasure.

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:51 pm

See the best thing is a gate and a long driveway. Ithr automatic gate doesn't open for humans, only cars etc, so therefore no kids = no need to buy lollies!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:22 am

I love Baby Ruths. I loathe and despise Three Muskateers. I will go without candy if that is the only stuff around.

My leftover candy is in the trunk of my car, away from temptation. It will go to work tomorrow.

Figgy
Herd Member

Postby Figgy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:04 am

well, I forgot all about Halloween as its a relatively new thing here. Plus I was agonising over final assessments that were due this weekend for my masters course - so in my essay anxiety frenzy of the weekend I didn't leave the house to go shopping. I didn't have any sweets in my house. Heck, I didn't even have decent food in my house. Just tea and coffee and more tea and more coffee

then I heard kids screaming and laughing and running up and down the street. So I ran and drew my curtains and turned out my lights and hid in the back room on my computer while various groups of little kids came knocking at my darkened door.

Maybe next year I'll remember - maybe not, Oct 31st coincides with end of semester after all.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:13 pm

This is the one thing I regret about not living in a neighborhood. I'd LOVE to have trick or treaters!! I would be one of those people that dress my place up scary and sit on the porch waiting for them. But I live in the country, down a long driveway and don't have them.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Yo people! Where are you living (or how much do you want to spend per night of trick-or-treating) that you pick what candy you give out?

I buy anywhere from 6 to 10, depending on the year, of mixed candy bags at Costco - mars, snickers, m&ms, whatever else, a hundred or so pieces per bag. This year I bought 8, the trick-or-treaters started coming around 3:30 and i was all out by 6:30. Initially we gave 2-3 pieces per kid, by the third bag it was strictly one piece. We also gave out a ton of wiki-stix, stickers, glow-sticks and glow-rings for the little ones/kids with allergies/whoever preferred. We didn't actually get to close the door much after 5 or so, and I'd give a very conservative estimate of at least 500 kids.

I can't even imagine how much this would cost me if i actually picked the candy! :shock:

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:39 pm

Snork :shock: indeed!

We live up a very long driveway on a dead-end road of 5-10 acre properties a 20 minute drive from the nearest town. Every year I put out pumpkins and get the chocolate bars/goodies just in case ...

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:54 pm

I actually live in a neighborhood in town, but it's not "suburban", it's urban (if that matters. Perhaps fewer kids?) We get maybe 50 or so each year. So door-to-door trick or treating is still done here, but it's not huge.

mzloolue
Greenie

Postby mzloolue » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:54 pm

I have had two trick or treaters in almost 30 years.

About Three Musketeers, if you insert some of the thin pretzel rods through the candy bar before you eat it, it is wonderful.
The crunch and the salt makes it perfection.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:28 pm

I do not get trick or treaters where I live now, but when I lived in another house across town, I would get scores of kids. I had to leave my mother and brother manning the candy table while I drove to the store to buy more candy. When I returned, our driveway was full of cars and I had to park on the side of the highway and walk up to the house. It was crazy!

I think, now, everyone here does trunk-r-treat instead of door to door stuff.

EponaFarm
Greenie

Postby EponaFarm » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:16 am

Rhianon wrote:Snork :shock: indeed!

We live up a very long driveway on a dead-end road of 5-10 acre properties a 20 minute drive from the nearest town. Every year I put out pumpkins and get the chocolate bars/goodies just in case ...

Glad I'm not the only one who stands almost 0 chance for a trick or treater showing up, but buys chocolate bars just in case (or at least what I tell myself :lol: )

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby heddylamar » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:22 am

We've given up the pretense. Less than 10 kids show up, so we just buy a bag or two of what we like.

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:14 am

Holy cow Snork. We don't get trick or treaters at our house but go to my parents' who live in a suburb. Some years the streets are just swarming with kids but this year was very light. We figure since it was on Saturday, a lot of parents took their kids to the fancier neighborhoods.

I love Halloween. All the neighbors sit in their driveways with bonfires handing out candy. There's drinking and music. I grew up in that neighborhood so always run in to lots of old friends. Much fun.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”