Vets that DO NOT euthanize your animal

Tanker-yanker
Greenie

Vets that DO NOT euthanize your animal

Postby Tanker-yanker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:30 am

On Youtube there was two news video on vets that got caught not euthanizing animals after they were asked to do so and paid to do so.

One the dog was brought in because the dog was 10 and had some type of cyst that was bothering the dog and the vet took the money that the owner paid for euthanasia and cremation and put it towards the surgery and then called a rescue group to come and get it. The original owner saw the dog on the rescue website and got their dog back.

The other was an older dog that instead of being euthanized after the owner paid for euthanasia and cremation was kept as a blood donor dog for six months and the owner found out.

Have any of you heard of stuff like this? How often does this happen? This sounds like such a breech of ethics. Thoughts?

orono
Herd Member

Re: Vets that DO NOT euthanize your animal

Postby orono » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:41 am

I think in most cases they are genuinely trying to keep the animals best interests at heart and probably following the oath they take. It seems like a relatively easy problem to circumvent though - if you need to have you animal euthed then remain present and don't just leave it in the hands of the clinic (of course you should be able to trust them to do what they say, but still).

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:27 am

There's so much weird with that whole idea. I cannot imagine leaving my dog to be euthanized alone. I've always stayed with them to the end to say goodbye, and not a single vet has been surprised by my presence, so I'd presume it's common.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:50 pm

I have had several small mammals euthanized when they could not be saved. Some were done in the room and some were taken in the back and brought back. I never left without witnessing the body. I bring them home to bury. Occasionally I am too distraught and leave the body there. I don't understand these stories at all.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:01 pm

It is a definite breach of ethics. Having said that, once upon a time, in land far away, I did know of one vet who considered doing this once, when the people didn't want to be inconvenienced by taking care of a puppy with a broken leg. The mom was dripping fur coats and diamonds, the little girl was heartbroken.

The vet enlisted a few trusted to people to try to find a home out of state for the puppy after she healed. They were given 24 hours, but didn't come up with anyone, so the puppy did end up being PTS.

I had no problem with the vet trying. My friend worked for this person for a long, long time, and it was the only time the vet didn't immediately comply. The vet also knew that what he or she was doing was illegal and unethical. In my opinion, it wasn't immoral, but it's a slippery slope, as is always true of situation ethics.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:07 pm

I can't imagine leaving your animal alone to be euthanized. I've NEVER not been there, nor will I ever be. I owe it to my critters to stay to the end. And I believe the vets were unethical, but looking at the big picture.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:10 pm

Yes, this happened in Texas, up around Dallas I believe. Some people had been taking their dog in for issues and, I believe, the vets said that it some condition that would only get worse and told the owners that euthing the dog would be best. Months later, the owners found out that the vet had not euthed their dog, but used it as a blood donor. If I'm remembering correctly, a vet tech from the animal hospital is the one who broke ranks and started telling owners that their animals were alive. And yes, it was more than one.

In the case of this dog, I think the vet told the owners that they had euthed the dog before the owners could get there because of it's bad condition. I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember something along those lines.

Tanker-yanker
Greenie

Postby Tanker-yanker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Technically, as a former animal health technician, you do not need to be with your animal at the end. They do not know if you are dropping them off for a spay or teeth cleaning. Being there is for YOU, they do not know they are getting put to sleep only you. Heck, they will not let you be with the dog or cat if you rush it in at the last minute for heroic surgery. The pet ends up alone on a cold table with needles stuck in them being forced to live longer etc..

But, it sounds like you cannot trust a vet (that you trusted to do surgery on your animal) to do what you paid for. How can they charge you for the service? I get that you sign over your animal, but that is GIVING your animal to the vet. Charging for services not rendered is a separate issue.

The cyst dog had a lot of life left and there was some confusion if the family knew all the options, but the older chap should not have had to go through the blood donor crap. Most blood donors that I have heard of are strays/truly abandoned by their owners, not older dogs that should be with their families if they could be.

People spend a lot of money to trust a vet who is supposed to be an ethical business person. Good for the technition(s) who blow the whistle.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Of course you don't "need" to be there. But I do. I believe my dogs and cats and horses have known full well that I am there when they feel the prick of the needle. Soon after that? No.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:49 pm

Me? I am there for the sedative. I just can't be there for that final injection but, for me, the pet is already "gone". Even now, thinking about being there and the end-end puts me in tears. It is hard enough for me to be there for the sedative and watch and share as my beloved companion gets sleepy.

IMO, a very unethical vet that doesn't go through with the euthanization once all the paperwork has been signed by the owner.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:51 pm

I'm under no illusion that being there is for the animal — saying goodbye is all for my benefit. But I do feel it's my duty as their caregiver and person to see them through the end.

No worries about being forced to live longer in our household. My husband teases me about being WAY too comfortable and saying "welp, you coughed, time to pull the plug!" It's not that bad. But I see no reason to ask anyone to "live longer through medicine" when I can't abide the concept for myself — constant pain, cancer treatment for an animal who can't decide for themselves, living with a tumor pressing on the esophagus, etc is just not humane animal stewardship.

It's disturbing that the vet thought themselves god. I hope licenses were revoked.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:06 pm

I always wonder about these cases. My dog vet recommends what is right for the animal, not the owner. He's been known to take on animals, heal them and then find them good homes. And he charges the people for the animals they brought in for the services that were rendered. I know of three cats running around in the facility right now (and a fourth at his home) that were brought in and owners just wanted them put down because they didn't have the funds for the care. He's charged them for checking the animal out and then tell them what is wrong, what it would take to fix etc. More often than not, the cost to put the animal down is just as much as to fix the animal. For instance, one owner brought a kitten in that got caught under the hood when the owner cranked the vehicle. The leg was badly mangled. The owner would have paid $230 to put the cat down or $220 to remove the leg. She wanted the cat put down because she didn't feel the cat could live with three legs. He told her to pay the $100 exam fee and he'd take on the cat. Five years later, that cat still lives in his house. By the way, my daughter worked for this vet during her last year in highschool and then during months she was off from college.

I have to ask, what did the vet gain from removing a cyst to then find a rescue home? That makes me think there is more to the story here similar to what happened with my vet taking on these other animals. The blood donor dog - different story. There is of course gain for the vet in that story and I do find it unethical and inhumane as well.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:34 pm

DH and I are always there for the entire euthanasia. I even put my ear on the small animals chests and listen for the absence of a heart beat to be fully convinced they are gone...our horses we have always had PTS at home and now we even have the vet come out to the house for the small animals. These days there are vets that specialize in euthanasia and come to your home.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 pm

My horse went in for a surgery once, i was called that the surgery was not going well and that they needed to do a more complicated procedure. I declined the procedure and asked that the horse be euthanized while still under anesthesia. I got the bill a few days later for three days board post surgery. I called to ask what was going on and the receptionist informed me that the horse has not been euthanized for three days.

Now this was probably the first time i ever asked for a horse to be euthanized in my absence, and i was very specific as to why. Why stress a horse with waking it up from surgery when you are going to put it to sleep. If i had known he was alive i would have visited him, given him treats, and held his hoof while he died.

I was never more angry about anything in my life and i still do not understand why it was done that way. IN hindsight perhaps the vet disagreed with my decision and wanted to try and find a rescue, rehome, rehab situation. I, on the other hand, thought i would save the horse a lot of stress by simply applying Euthanasia while poor Karoo was already under. I have before, and and since, and hopefully will always be present for euthanasia since that incident.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:39 pm

angela9823 wrote:I always wonder about these cases. My dog vet recommends what is right for the animal, not the owner. He's been known to take on animals, heal them and then find them good homes. And he charges the people for the animals they brought in for the services that were rendered. I know of three cats running around in the facility right now (and a fourth at his home) that were brought in and owners just wanted them put down because they didn't have the funds for the care. He's charged them for checking the animal out and then tell them what is wrong, what it would take to fix etc. More often than not, the cost to put the animal down is just as much as to fix the animal. For instance, one owner brought a kitten in that got caught under the hood when the owner cranked the vehicle. The leg was badly mangled. The owner would have paid $230 to put the cat down or $220 to remove the leg. She wanted the cat put down because she didn't feel the cat could live with three legs. He told her to pay the $100 exam fee and he'd take on the cat. Five years later, that cat still lives in his house. By the way, my daughter worked for this vet during her last year in highschool and then during months she was off from college.

I have to ask, what did the vet gain from removing a cyst to then find a rescue home? That makes me think there is more to the story here similar to what happened with my vet taking on these other animals. The blood donor dog - different story. There is of course gain for the vet in that story and I do find it unethical and inhumane as well.

230 to put a cat down, that sounds unbelievably high.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Chisamba wrote:
I was never more angry about anything in my life and i still do not understand why it was done that way.

And vets wonder why we insist on staying with our animals. I understand that only a few vets are untrustworthy, but there's no way to know which ones they are.

A friend who runs a rescue had a vet sign a written agreement promising to provide a certain procedure, which they failed to do because they thought they knew better, and the animal died. I had a similar situation with one of mine and he survived, but with extensive damage which could have been easily prevented.
Last edited by kande50 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:16 pm

Chisamba wrote:I was never more angry about anything in my life and i still do not understand why it was done that way. IN hindsight perhaps the vet disagreed with my decision and wanted to try and find a rescue, rehome, rehab situation. I, on the other hand, thought i would save the horse a lot of stress by simply applying Euthanasia while poor Karoo was already under. I have before, and and since, and hopefully will always be present for euthanasia since that incident.

That's an awful thing to happen. I hope you gave them enough negative feedback so it might be a learning experience for them also. . . .

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:51 am

I've always stayed with my animals but I can think of a number of situations why someone wouldn't. My MIL's old cat was not doing well and when my FIL died suddenly, she couldn't take care of her anymore so BIL took her and dropped her off. It sounds cold but MIL was a complete train wreck and it really was the cat's time. People with small children may bring the kids to the vet with their pet to say goodbye, but not actually let them witness the procedure. Elderly people with mobility problems may have someone else take their pet. And some people might just be squeamish about it.

I think what happened to Chisamba's horse was terrible. My friend's horse was (supposedly) euthanized during surgery but now I don't know for sure. I won't tell her this story in case she doesn't know for sure either. I certainly hope it went the way it was supposed to.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:44 pm

Chisamba wrote:230 to put a cat down, that sounds unbelievably high.
There was already an exam fee involved - xrays etc.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”