Reading For Comprehension

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Reading For Comprehension

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:54 pm

I have to come here and get off FB to vent about my frustration (I'm being tactful) about people not comprehending the remarks of others. For gawd's sakes!!!!!!
We have a local issue getting lots of attention regarding a historical memorial to a Jesuit missionary on township land. So now we have people with more emotion than... observation. I get that, except people are criticizing people who are on. their. side. Because they aren't reading the comments clearly.

In another post, a friend and I are discussing how good the old school cafeteria is now; better food choices, more healthy, totally redesigned kitchen and distribution area. Someone else chimes in, challenging my comments, declaring they didn't see that when they when they were there a few months ago, and everything looked the same. I'm puzzled - it's been revamped for at least four years. Several exchanges later, she finally admits she was in another part of the cafeteria and in fact didn't see the "kitchen or food area" and what she saw was the "same paint, same floor". :roll: We were talking about the FOOD AREA.

I need to go read a book. BTW, the new book by Khazir Khan, "An American Family" is wonderful!

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Reading For Comprehension

Postby Tsavo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:00 pm

American society shows signs of being an idiocracy. What you mention is one sign. Trump's election is another.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:20 pm

Have you seen the movie "Idiocracy"? Too true and too scary.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Face it, the majority of people on FB do not read more than 50 characters. And comprehend even less.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:13 pm

I laughed when I saw the subject line. On another board, a poster has been issuing this sentence for years:

"Reading for comprehension is fundamental".

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:34 pm

What surprises me the most about Facebook is how judgmental many people are.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Rockabilly wrote:What surprises me the most about Facebook is how judgmental many people are.

Especially when they don't have all the facts for an issue!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:28 pm

There ya go ^^^ Especially regarding this issue with this memorial in my township. I'm on the Planning Commission and I try to tactfully assure people we have a plan and a path - without saying too much, too soon - and it's worse than if I were a block of wood talking to a wall. They think I'm working against the issue! Honestly, there are a lot of...ill-educated people out there.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:41 am

Rockabilly wrote:What surprises me the most about Facebook is how judgmental many people are.

Facebook has become a centralized repository for the Internet lynch mob. It's only going to get worse, which is why I post less and less.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:36 pm

redsoxluvr wrote:
Facebook has become a centralized repository for the Internet lynch mob. It's only going to get worse, which is why I post less and less.

My strategy for those who extrapolate wildly from what was written and then answer their own extrapolation as if someone else actually said it, is to ignore them and just keep discussing the issue with those who are able to paraphrase more accurately. Once in awhile I'll ask one of them, "Who said that? I didn't read anything like that?", which often works to inspire at least some of them to stick to commenting on what was actually said, rather than what they think someone might have meant.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:04 pm

The central problem is that people think they are entitled to their own facts. That is neither reasonable nor even rational.

I have dealt with people on FB who ask me what I "feel" about a certain issue. My response is my feelings don't matter; only the facts matter. Further, if I don't have the facts, I don't have an informed opinion. People who watch Fox News use this trope of what they feel because the facts are not on their side. That is the idiocracy engine.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:42 pm

This is one of the reasons why I have been off facebook for years.

Last summer someone snuck onto a local farm, took pictures of the older sick horse the farm had been rehabilitating from a neglect situation, and took pictures of their somewhat messy yard, and posted them (without permission) on facebook, where it went viral and the local farm got lynch mobbed for neglect and animal abuse. It even appeared on national news.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”