Another sign of getting older...

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Another sign of getting older...

Postby PaulaO » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Yesterday I started watching the show "Breaking Bad" via Netflix. I didn't watch it on its first run. I didn't even finish the first season because I thought "why am I watching a show about such unsavory people?" My tolerance for violence and scummy people is very low. Another sign of age...

Amado
Herd Member

Re: Another sign of getting older...

Postby Amado » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 pm

I couldn’t get through the first episode. I couldn’t deal with Game of Thrones, either. But I am able to watch some of the dark dectective mysteries - like Hinterland and Shetland, and The Frozen Dead. Loved those. Also - Endeavor. (The Inspector Morse prequel) That one is awesome.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:01 pm

I will try Shetland. I wasn't wild about Endeavor but will give it another try. I definitely preferred Inspector Lewis to Morse. I don't do fantasy/science fiction so would never watch Game of Thrones. I've also never seen an episode of Star Trek, or any Star Wars movie. Loch Ness (I watched that via Acorn TV) was awesome.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:10 pm

Oooo, try Walander too! Swedish detective.
Too bad you never watched Star Trek though. That franchise is all about humans/humanoids helping each other. But then again, I've been a trekkie since discovering the show at age 10. (Waaay back in the dark ages)

Forgot to add that, as I age, I have less patience with those who see only the glass 1/2 empty and forget about all the good in the world. (That statement is in no way aimed at ANYBODY on this bulletin board. Y'all are awesome!)

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Oh my PaulaO - I have many signs of getting older! My tolerance and keeping quiet when someone is making me crazy is very low anymore.

SueB - One of the main reasons I don't watch the news is all the bad that is out there and happening. I guess in some aspects I prefer to live in Neverland...LOL....and see through rose colored glasses.

I'm fairly recent to Facebook and I can't even look at the pics or read the posts regarding animal and human abuse.

Where is all this abuse coming from? Is it the internet? Violence on TV? What causes people to act out against others and defenseless animals?

I love reading the happy endings, people that are saved by others, animals that are rescued and given a safe place to live, people that are trying to save our plant.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:30 pm

I was the same way -- couldn't get through episode 1 of Breaking Bad.

LOVED other shows about unsavory characters, though, like The Killing, Shetland, even Dexter.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:53 pm

didnt watch breaking bad, liked shetland a lot-- and i've started fast-forwarding through almost everything i watch on netflix. i'm not as patient as i used to be-- life is short, right?

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:07 pm

I had the same response to House of Cards. . .

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:13 pm

If this is a sign of aging, I've always been old then :D I feel like I have a limited number of brain/memory cells and I don't want them filled up with garbage! I'm very selective about what I'll watch. My hubby on the other hand can watch all kinds of crap :?

One thing that truly has come on with age is I've become more discriminating about who I let in my friend circle. Only those with healthy outlooks and are capable of a giving relationship need apply. I've had to weed out a lifetime's accumulation of very leech-y people with whom the friendship was only a one way street.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:15 pm

Koolkat wrote:I had the same response to House of Cards. . .

Watched the first two years of "Cards", then couldn't any more. Then THIS administration came along, and I'm almost all caught up. (Damn you Kevin Spacey, you used to be one of my favorite actors!)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Maybe that is why we like "Frankie and Grace" :-D

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:47 pm

is my patience is at a all time low and I will most likely tell you what I really think.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:48 pm

PaulaO wrote:I don't do fantasy/science fiction so would never watch Game of Thrones

I am the same - really don't like sci fi or fantasy - but LOVED the GOT books. Could not get into the series because it just wasn't the way I pictured the characters in the books.
That reminds me... I need to reread those books in all my newly found spare time.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:10 am

Tarlo Farm wrote:
Koolkat wrote:I had the same response to House of Cards. . .

Watched the first two years of "Cards", then couldn't any more. Then THIS administration came along, and I'm almost all caught up. (Damn you Kevin Spacey, you used to be one of my favorite actors!)

Oddly enough, on the other hand, I've developed a preverse fascination with the evening news. . .

(I hear you, what a waste).

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”