Best comments from judge

Shirrine
Herd Member

Best comments from judge

Postby Shirrine » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:56 am

With the bad comments being made recently of a test I was thinking of the comment made by a judge from my last test that I did. I am so proud of the comment as I had not been able to do much dressage in the last 3 years.
At the bottom of the test the judge added, " A pleasure to judge". As I am a heavier rider riding a pony I really felt I earned this response. Overcoming the oh this rider is too big for this pony makes me feel very proud.
Add your best comments.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Best comments from judge

Postby heddylamar » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:35 am

On one of my red headed mares who was having a bad day -- "tactfully ridden." It was both funny and kind. The judge either missed or agreed with me walloping the mare in the ribs when she attempted to leap out of the arena.

And not on a test, but I had a cranky, disagreeable bully of an art prof who told me I painted like a house painter. She didn't know how to respond when I thanked her, with a smile.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:04 am

What a great thread Shirrine! That must have been so nice to see on your test.

I love it when judges have a sense of humour. I remember the first time I did a 3rd level test with Prussia (the summer I showed her at 2nd) she did an enormous leap in one of the changes and after I finished my test and was passing the judge's box he yelled out delightedly "I'm surprised you stayed on!"

Also probably the other one that sticks out the most was from a 2nd level test where you were supposed to pick up true canter from walk on the rail, and she picked up counter canter and I calmly and very smoothly (and within 2 canter strides) made a nice transition back to walk and picked up the correct lead. All the transitions were good, too. And the judge's comment at the bottom was "very well ridden".

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:12 am

"Glad you stayed on". As you can imagine, it was an eventful test.

Second only to, "Flying changes are not required at this level."

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:37 am

I debuted Jet at Third Level this past October with Third-2 followed by Third-3.

After my final halt-salute in Third-2, I rode up centerline on a lose rein towards the judge at 'C' as I usually do, fully intending to say thank you before I turned and headed out of the ring. Before I could say anything, the judge addressed me and said "thank you, that was a pleasure to judge ... it's nice to see correct training at work!". I could have fallen off then & there, I was so happy to hear those words after the struggles I've had the last three years to get changes on Jet. I said a huge "thank you" to her as we turned to head out the ring, and added "that was our Third level debut" to which she added, "I'd have never known, very well done". I beamed the rest of the day.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:57 am

For those who remember Roo, comment put on the bottom of a test "These movements are not asked for at this level. Training test done at extended paces. Reckon it was the fastest test I ever did. :P

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:48 am

“Nice flying change. Unfortunately not required at this level.”

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:26 pm

Riding in a coverall building on a very windy day. One minute we were riding a circle, the next he spooked (teleported) to the middle of the ring and I lost a stirrup. I went back to the circle and we finished the test. Judge commented "great recovery!" I was so happy!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:03 am

This is always a good topic.

I did get "calm test" after a less than calm warm up around the ring once!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:20 am

Not a comment on a test, but, after a hammer throw dismount during our trot around the arena (my arms around mare's neck as she whirled, whirled, whirled, and I finally let go to splat face first in a mud puddle), the judge asked if I was sure I wanted to ride the test :lol:

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:01 pm

One day I went to ride into the arena for an FEI test. The scribe had to go use the restroom, so they hollered at me to hold up.

So I just dropped the reins and we just stood there and waited. The Cowpony fell asleep.

The scribe came back, I gathered up my reins and we rode a decent 60-something test. 'at's my Cowpony! :mrgreen:

The judge wrote in the comments "Horse seems to have a heart of gold."

I took a photo of it (which I still have on my phone) and kept the test in a special place.

It's the most accurate comment a judge has ever written in the history of dressage :-) That horse does indeed have a heart of gold.

I also took a photo of the comment from an I-1 test where the judge said "Nice 2's : ) " The greatest compliment *I* ever received :lol:

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:13 pm

"What can I say, whack that pony". Pony was less than agreeable about doing dressage..lol.

Another girl in the barn once received "Very well ridden test on a very naughty pony". Her petite Arabian became highly offended when a cargo plane attempted to land on him while making it's way to the army base runway, and bucked pretty through that whole movement. lol

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:16 pm

I was deathly sick at a show once so my trainer took Sunstorm into the ring. The judge who had seen me ride him the day before wrote "this horse does better with his usual rider". I treasured that comment.

Another favorite was after a three day show where I scored nines or tens on my halts, the judge said "whatever the trick is to a perfect halt, you have it. At first I was all... It's not a trick, it's training, but then I saw the compliment. It eventually became a wish. I wish I really knew the trick to a perfect halt because then I might get better halts on every horse. Turns out my horse knew the trick and I simply allowed it. Lol

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”