Should we have a What's for Dinner or Cooking new forum?

Should we have a "What's for dinner" entirely new forum?

yes
25%
no
75%

Total votes: 28

Chancellor
Site Admin

Should we have a What's for Dinner or Cooking new forum?

Postby Chancellor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:17 pm

Should we have a "What's for dinner" entirely new forum?

Rockabilly suggested this and I wondered how you all felt.

Avola
Herd Member

Re: Should we have a What's for Dinner or Cooking new forum?

Postby Avola » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:24 pm

I think that would be great for recipe exchange and such

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:07 pm

I have mixed feeling on this question. Having food-related threads in a separate forum would keep them organized and theoretically easier to find. But, I think the UDBB had too many forums and the Kitchen Forum got less traffic than it might have otherwise. IDK, maybe people got tired of the extra clicks.

So, I voted “no.” But, I'll still visit and contribute, if you decide to have a new forum.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:10 pm

Canyon wrote:I have mixed feeling on this question. Having food-related threads in a separate forum would keep them organized and theoretically easier to find. But, I think the UDBB had too many forums and the Kitchen Forum got less traffic than it might have otherwise. IDK, maybe people got tired of the extra clicks.

So, I voted “no.” But, I'll still visit and contribute, if you decide to have a new forum.

And that is EXACTLY why I decided to do a poll. I felt the same as you did. The newly formatted UDBB had WAY TOO MANY forums IMO. And I didn't want to do the same thing here.

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:53 pm

Yes! We have so many great cooks here, I'd like to be able to check out new posts about cooking without having to sift through all the threads in the OL.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:45 pm

I have mixed feelings about it as well. On one hand, i love seeing things in one place, but on the other, i really liked the "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get" nature of the old-old-UDBB, and the new DDBB.

So I'm torn, and no help at all. If i had to make a decision, i think i'd lean more towards leaving it in the ObLounge, just for the fun of having different topics all together.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm 100% in favour of keeping it all in the Obs lounge because I never know what I'm interested in until I see it.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Could we have a sort of Kitchen, Garden and Home type forum? I enjoyed the gardening and cooking forums, but don't think either got enough traffic to warrant it's own spot.
Keep calm and canter on.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:20 pm

I vote for fewer forums. Even the Menagerie forum takes away from the higher number of views in the OL. If you want more discussion, just keep it in the OL. Once in its own forum, the attention it will get is diminished. After all- when you posted your pit bull pictures, you put it in the OL for more views rather than the Menagerie forum, right? So you instinctively know keeping things in the OL is the way to spur more discussion.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:42 am

I voted to keep it all together too.
Part of what makes the ob lounge interesting and fun (for me anyway) is the variety of discussions we have on any given day.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:29 am

All together. Maybe a new thread each week/month? But that can be user modified. Just add "monthxxxx" to the title.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:43 am

I prefer the idea of a "Kitchen/Garden/Home' forum. When these topics are mixed within the OL, I tend to miss them once they float beyond the first page. The (possibly) lower traffic seen on these topics actually keeps them more interactive, IMHO, if they have their own location. If someone has a bathroom redo, or has renovated their yard, it is nice to go back and follow the progression, which is more easily done when not blended in with OL. Hopefully, folks will now fully explore all the forums that Chance has made available, and not just stick to OL! Does that make sense? It is past my bedtime and I'm waffling ;)

Mirabella
Greenie

Postby Mirabella » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:02 pm

Why not just make it a sticky or whatever so it will always be the first thread in the OL? Never moves and people know where it will be.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:19 pm

We have one forum with zero threads, and four with five or fewer threads. The "What's for Dinner" thread already has 145 posts. I think it deserves its own forum more than Musical Freestyles, with no threads at all.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Mirabella wrote:Why not just make it a sticky or whatever so it will always be the first thread in the OL? Never moves and people know where it will be.

That's what I was thinking of just to make it a sticky in the OL. "What's for Dinner?" is such a popular topic that even if we all don't cook we still love to read it.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:59 pm

Okay. I can make it a sticky for now. I have another idea too but I'll have to see if I can make it work. I want to see if there is a way to post in two different forums. So, if you have a recipe to share, you can share it in both the recipe forum AND the OL. But, no promises.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:59 pm

Oh, and count me in on the idea of a Kitchen/Garden/Home single forum... that way it could cover planting garlic, which book you reading, how to remodel...

OTOH, it is nice to have only a single place to look for stuff instead of trying to divine where someone might put a specific topic :)

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Chancellor, I was just going to ask about a separate forum for recipes!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:15 pm

I wouldn't go to a separate forum to see it (because I'm not interested in food much), but I do see it here and occasionally view it.

A separate forum for recipies?

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:52 pm

boots-aregard wrote:A separate forum for recipies?

I think a recipe box forum would be a great idea. I too wouldn't go to a separate forum to talk about food, but if I see something on this forum, I totally would be up for being able to find the recipe again. So a "hey this lizard guts au gratin sounds great...throw the recipe in the box please!" would work for me.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:59 pm

Suzon wrote:
boots-aregard wrote:A separate forum for recipies?

I think a recipe box forum would be a great idea. I too wouldn't go to a separate forum to talk about food, but if I see something on this forum, I totally would be up for being able to find the recipe again. So a "hey this lizard guts au gratin sounds great...throw the recipe in the box please!" would work for me.

So, my idea is to have a recipe box forum. If you have a recipe to share, you put it in the forum. If it is a new post in that forum, then it will also post into the Obs Lounge. That way, we get the best of both worlds. I don't THINK it will be too hard to do....but I need time to write the trigger for the database. And I am going to a fiber festival with Valerie this weekend to buy more fiber to spin! So, assuming I have the time on Sunday, I will try to do that. Keep your fingers crossed.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Very nice :)

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Chancellor, I also like the idea of a recipe box forum.

Maybe have a "sticky post" explaining the proper way to acknowledge the source of a recipe, if it is not an original creation, to keep the IP patrol happy?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:07 pm

Good idea Canyon!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”