There ain't no wild horses.

Literiding
Herd Member

There ain't no wild horses.

Postby Literiding » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:11 pm

The Przewalski horse was thought to be the last "wild" horse, but recent genetic studies finds that they are the remains of one of the first herds of domesticated horses domesticated by the Botai people of northern Kazakhstan some 5500 years ago:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 145132.htm

So every "wild" horse on the face of the earth is the descendant of a domestic horse or technically feral. What is also interesting is that the modern horse isn't the same species (or subspecies) as the Przewalski so there were two different domestication events and the real ancestor of the modern horse is not known. Sort of same problem with dogs, yes they are descended from wolves, but not from any wolf species alive today.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: There ain't no wild horses.

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:02 pm

Literiding wrote:The Przewalski horse was thought to be the last "wild" horse, but recent genetic studies finds that they are the remains of one of the first herds of domesticated horses domesticated by the Botai people of northern Kazakhstan some 5500 years ago:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 145132.htm

So every "wild" horse on the face of the earth is the descendant of a domestic horse or technically feral. What is also interesting is that the modern horse isn't the same species (or subspecies) as the Przewalski so there were two different domestication events and the real ancestor of the modern horse is not known. Sort of same problem with dogs, yes they are descended from wolves, but not from any wolf species alive today.

something like to point out to ethicists who claim horses should not be used. however i did not realize Przewalski horses were also a domesticated breed. interesting.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Re: There ain't no wild horses.

Postby Hot4Spots » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Well, interestingl. So I'll have to stop saying the Mongolian wildies are the only truly wild horses. They, too, are simpy feral. I don't have time to look it up now, but I seem to remember that some German scientists "recreated" the Tarpan (wild/feral horse)?

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”