The little things that make you happy

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

The little things that make you happy

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:36 pm

I got new license plates from the state, heaven only knows why. Got the front plates off, but the rear bolts were rusted tight. Took the car to the dealer this morning and in 5 minutes the old plate was off and the new one on. No charge, and my favorite service guy was there. It kinda made my day.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Re: The little things that make you happy

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Love that personal service!

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:41 pm

we just got about 14 inches of snow. my neighbor plowed the huge hump left by town road plows at the bottom of my driveway. i am so grateful!

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:08 am

Not quite the same idea, but something that made me happy;

My neighbor’s two year old daughter marched up to my mini horse two days ago and petted him on his nose and told her mother, in the commanding tones of a two year old, to pet Mr. Isaac, my Friesian.

This was the first time she voluntarily touched one of the horses. Her mother tells me that she talks insistently about my horses but when presented with the reality of their size, is content to watch from about 10 feet away. But she is now willing to approach the mini and it won’t be long before she’ll be petting Isaac who is totally smitten by knee high little human. He holds his head down so they’re both about eye level but she hasn’t quite worked up the courage to pet him too. Mom is starting to talk about “a horse someday.” Another lille horsie girl has joined the world!

BBH and LBH

IMG_0372.JPG
BBH & LBH
IMG_0372.JPG (127.9 KiB) Viewed 9072 times

BBH = Big Black Horse, LBH = Little Black Horse

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:13 am

Love, love, love! And bwahahahahahahaha!!!!! Another one under the spell...

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:46 am

I got a personal tour of our town's new animal shelter today. The facility was completed several months ago and I kept thinking I need to stop in and take a look. Got there and the sign on the door said they were closed because of an off-site adoption event, but one of the head employees just happened to be inside and saw me peeking in. He opened up the shelter and took the time to walk me through the entire place, explaining all the rooms, doors, how the automatic washing unit works for some of the runs, the holding areas, etc. I saw some critters up for adoption, too. He was on his way to the off-site but stopped to show me around. Our town's rural culture places a low priority on companion animals so the completion of this shelter was huge. I'm so glad the critters and the caring staff have nice new digs!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:05 pm

@Literiding - what a great story and picture!

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Sun May 27, 2018 2:32 pm

An update.

When I wrote the post above, the young lady’s mother was eight and half months pregnant, so there was a long period where little Ava wasn’t to be seen. But as her little brother, Gray, got older, she talked mother in coming to visit the horses. She, at two and half, promptly decided that she was going to ride both horses. But it took about a month for her to get brave enough to pet BBH who loves the little girl dearly.

One afternoon I was lunging BBH and he kept looking over Ava’s house for a little girl. After a minor struggle to get his attention back on me we finished the work session. I halted him facing his barn and away from Ava’s house. He stopped, turned his head around and carefully inspected Ava’s house and when no Ava was detected, gave a big sigh and was content to be put up. A couple weeks later, we were lunging again but this time Ava and her mom and little brother were coming home from somewhere in the car and BBH let out a big whinny. A rather forceful discussion between Ava and her mother could be clearly heard two hundred yards away. Ava won, and as they approached the fence, BBH got more and more excited. By the time they were at the fence, I had a 1300 lbs. Friesian doing the Passage, tail straight out behind him and head well above the top line. His little girl was watching!!!

I carefully explained to mom that gravity is an enemy when sitting on the back of a 16 hand horse and that all “riding” would have to be done on the mini, LBH. I would allow Ava to sit on BBH so she could have a win, but it would be standing still. A helmet was procured and my monthly lesson was scheduled on my farm. I allowed her 15 minutes of my time for her very first riding lesson gracefully consented to by my coach (who was also smitten by the “cute” factor!). So she (and mom) got their first lessons in seat, core strength, and exercises to develop the same.

After riding LBH, she had a minor melt down when she wasn't allowed to ride BBH. After my lesson, she was allowed to sit on BBH. No fear, the expression on her face was taking in the first time experience of being where she was suppose to be, on the back of a horse. No photo, I was holding BBH. To keep this thread from being “worthless without a photo” I offer some photos of the moment:

I was going to add three photos but the size of the photos allowed is much smaller than it use to be and after I reduced the photos again, I couldn't stay logged in long enough to up load them.

After five tries and clearing my cache:

Ava & Chipper 4 copy.JPG
Ava & Chipper 4 copy.JPG (128.18 KiB) Viewed 8745 times
Last edited by Literiding on Sun May 27, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun May 27, 2018 2:37 pm

Love your photo of BBH and LBH - the little cut out is priceless!!

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun May 27, 2018 3:31 pm

The fact that Avenatti graduated top in his law school class at George Washington. That makes me happy.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 27, 2018 7:19 pm

Literiding wrote:
After five tries and clearing my cache:

Ava & Chipper 4 copy.JPG

Lead line champions in the making, clearly.

People frequently comment on how sleek and shiny Annabelle is, but I don't really notice it myself. Today rinsed the sweat off of her and turned her out in the paddock, then did some other things and went walking back by the paddock full of chestnut mares and went "who is that resplendent chestnut shining in the sun?!" Oh, she's mine! Yes, she is clearly outshining all others, including Miss Pickle, who has not had the benefit of the same grooming and feeding regime as A this spring.

Also: being out at the barn early, having plenty of time, and then making an amazing breakfast afterwards.
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 28, 2018 1:05 pm

Awwww!! Literiding what a sweet post! The pictures made me happy, Thanks. The pic of your black horses side by side in their stalls is worth framing.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”