Knitted hats/skull caps already knitted or easy patterns

Tabby
Herd Member

Knitted hats/skull caps already knitted or easy patterns

Postby Tabby » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:29 pm

A friend of mine is in stage 4 lung cancer and has reached out to her FB friends for knitted hats/skull caps as she's lost all of her hair and she's cold. She has a very small head - 21" circumference (most hats are 23" and just fall off). I have rudimentary knitting ability and probably could manage a hat - but I don't have any patterns and I'm not really sure what to look for. Should I be looking at youths? Babies? The size is more important to her than anything. I've done a little bit of online searching but I don't want to download anything unless I can be sure it can be made at the right size. If anyone has any they don't mind sharing, or recommendations as to how to search this, that would be great. Unfortunately, my local yarn shop closes very close to the time I get home so it's hit and miss with traffic as to whether I can get in there during the week or not. I'm not a fast knitter so the sooner I can get started, the better.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Knitted hats/skull caps already knitted or easy patterns

Postby Canyon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Any chance you sew? I find polar fleece hats to be much warmer (and faster to make) than knitted hats. Lots of cute and colorful fabric available, and you only need 1/3 yard.

Here is a free pattern for polar fleece:
https://www.fleecefun.com/basic-hat-adu ... orial.html

Jingles for your friend. Cancer is a horrible thing...

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:08 pm

What a great suggestion, Canyon! I don't sew but I probably could find someone who does and pick up the materials. I like that pattern because it allows you to make specific dimensions. My friend is so discouraged because every hat she tries is too big. I'll ask the girls at work tomorrow and see if I can arrange something. Over the weekend I'll see if I can get a pattern and supplies for knitting but I feel bad because she doesn't have a lot of time left. Thanks again.

gee
Greenie

Postby gee » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:53 am

Do you belong to Raverly? If not, join up. The ladies/dudes there can be very helpful. Plus there are a lot of free patterns.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”