RIP our one of a kind Tucker

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

RIP our one of a kind Tucker

Postby khall » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:06 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

While Tucker's spirit (and appetite) were still strong his aging body was failing and we had to make the call today to ease him over the bridge. He came to us in 2005 an out of control wild 50 lb puppy that tried to eat the cat and desperately wanted to eat the steaks we were cooking! He matured and steadied with some basic obedience and positive training to become a treasured member of our family. Too many Tucker stories to write them all down! How my vet would greet me on our appointments: so what has Tucker eaten lately? from brownie mix, to bras and underwear, to a bag of flour, Tucker's constitution stayed strong. He will be so very missed here, his big personality and never meet a stranger self. His size was enough of a deterrent for many (95 lbs) and a problem because of the counter surfing, and ultimately at 13 his body just could not go anymore.

Chisamba

Re: RIP our one of a kind Tucker

Postby Chisamba » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:24 am

So sorry.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:45 am

Sorry for your loss khall...he was a lucky big boy to have you. Such a sweet face. The kind I just want to hug.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:31 am

It sounds like Tucker kept you on your toes, what a character! I'm so sorry for your loss, khall.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:21 am

RIP Tucker. What a handsome pup.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:45 am

:( Oh, I am sorry, he looked so sweet, and sounds like he was such a character.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Godspeed, Tucker! He will live in your heart forever.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:28 pm

Hugs to you. I have two senior dogs currently and I know that time is precious. All we can do is give them the opportunity to shine in our hearts both while they are here and after they're gone. From the pictures it's clear you've succeeded in doing just that. Godspeed Tucker.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:47 pm

So sorry for your loss of such a special big guy.

Hugs

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:27 am

RIP Tucker
He sounds like a wonderful character and you gave him the perfect home.

I feel your loss as we lost our oldest Greyhound Nixon 12 years, 8 months old to Osteosarcoma last month. The pain is real...

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:43 am

So sorry for your loss, it's hard when they are OK, otherwise. It is a comfort to know you have set them free from their failing bodies.

RIP, Tucker, you were a handsome dude.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:14 am

Sorry for your loss :(

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:30 pm

I'm sorry for your loss of Tucker. He sounds like a real personality that will be missed at your home, but you also have lovely memories and funny ones too.
It's so hard to let them go.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:05 am

Thanks everyone for your condolences. It's been difficult to adjust to our new reality without Tucker. He was such a big presence in our lives for so long. Losing him hit my DH hard, Tucker was very much his kind of dog. Big goofy and just a steady dog.

Exvet, I hear you. We still have 4 dogs, 3 of them seniors Roger 11 smaller dog but problems with collapsing trach, Hank another big dog 60+ lbs with bad single hip that thankfully responded to previcox protocol for displasia, Gracie 12 medium sized with some aches and pains managed by previcox. You just never know though when something might happen to these older ones. Why I kept my last road find, Zoey, a young pit bull that is such a sweetheart. Wanted my pack to help raise her up for farm life. They are doing well with her.

Nancy P, yes the pain is real. We saved Tucker from a high kill shelter and made him a big part of our family. He and Roger would go every day with me to take DS to school (before DS was driving) Hank hates car rides and Gracie is terrified of strangers. I've taken Tucker (before Roger came along) with me to FL for a clinic that I was going to by myself. He was great company, loved riding in the truck, great in a crate. The trips had trailed off between DS driving and it getting harder for Tucker to get in the truck, these last couple of years. He became a homebody, but took his job of protecting the farm very seriously. To the point he fractured an elbow stepping in a hole going after a coyote in 2015. Tucker definitely was one of a kind. Gentle with any and all people, yet fierce when it came to farm life (in his eyes mostly:) barking at the creatures stirring every morning.

Koolkat you nailed it. Tucker was still very much Tucker until we had to call it. He ate Wendy's for dinner, breakfast and mid day the day he crossed the bridge and wanted more. Yet he could barely walk because of spinal stenosis causing him to be neurologic. He did not know his body was failing him, he still wanted to make his rounds that morning (accompanied by me and a towel for support) to flush out any and all intruders lurking (thankfully none found). It was so hard to see him struggle because his spirit was still so strong. Definitely the hardest thing about owning animals is losing them. He took a piece of our hearts with him.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:54 am

Ah, what a handsome boy. And what a character. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”