A superfluous thread about show clothes

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

A superfluous thread about show clothes

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:54 am

I thought a show clothes thread would be fun.

If things go to plan, we'll do our first real shows 3 and 3.5 months from now. My new boots are somewhere between The Netherlands and Idaho right now (plain black leather Petries), but I have everything else pulled together. I ended up with a black coat because I really liked this Pikeur Radina, but I already have a Diana in navy (tails too long for riding posting trot), and it's not available in brown. I decided we need at least a little pop of something amid all the black and white, so I just finished beading this browband, and bought a vintage pin to match from eBay. Pleased at how it's looking pulled together. Otherwise, we've got a shaped black pad, white breeches and the plainest stock tie I could find. I do have the OneK helmet with the snakeskin strip, so I guess that's another little something extra. The coat came with blingy buttons, but I'm changing them out for black Czech glass buttons with small gold/silver accents. I ordered an Equiture bling browband and matching stock pin, but it doesn't work well with the Micklem bridle, and I think it will be just too much outside on a sunny day; hopefully we'll be showing indoors next spring and can use it then.

Being an ex-western pleasure person, it is hard to exercise restraint. :lol:

What is everyone else (and their horses) wearing?

Keep calm and canter on.

mari
Herd Member

Re: A superfluous thread about show clothes

Postby mari » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:34 pm

I love love love the pin/browband combination, so pretty. I absolutely detest stock ties, but I will need one this year. I want the plainest one I can find, still on the lookout. Everything so far has ruffles or some kind of shine.

My jacket is plain black, with flat silver buttons. It has a velvet collar though. Not crazy about the collar, but it fitted my budget at the time. And it has sleeves that are actually long enough for my gibbon arms :D

As I'm reviewing my show wardrobe, I realise I'm actually really boring! My horse has spots though, so there's a bit of bling :p
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:49 pm

That.is.gorgeous. (Since I am a cowgirl at heart, the turquoise really stands out to me.)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Tuddy wrote:That.is.gorgeous. (Since I am a cowgirl at heart, the turquoise really stands out to me.)

Thanks! A little nod to my quarter horse. :)

Mari, I bought this stock tie from Equitique on Etsy. It is about as simple as you can get, just a nice, crisp cotton. Your guy does have quite a bit of natural bling that might overshadow anything you'd want to add.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:07 pm

I bought a new navy coat with a lighter blue collar from RJ Classics. It's very lightweight and ummm... actually fits... my navy Pikeur Skarlett, that I love dearly, seems to have mysteriously shrunk in the closet over the winter.

I shall wear it with my navy OneK, very light beige breeches because I'm not a fan of white, and my new stock tie which has a very fine blue windowpane check and is miraculously big enough to go round my neck without throttling me.

We'll either do a white pad with navy and silver piping, or a cream pad with black and gold piping.

I've got a new-to-me bridle with navy blue croc accents and white lining on its way to me, too, but I think it might be a bit much for showing :)

I'm jonesing after the navy and brown boots on the Connected Rider website, but I really don't need them... so black boots it will be.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:29 am

This thread is timely, as I pulled out my white breeches, shirt and stock tie yesterday and threw them in the wash for the first time in years.
I ordered new boots this past week. I ordered navy Petries with a navy croc cuff. I am pretty conservative, so this is a bit of a stretch for me! I have a navy IRH helmet and am looking for a navy coat to match. I make my own pretty browbands, so the Ginger Ninja has red tiger eye with topaz Swarovskis and Leonardo di Ponio has amethyst. Saddle pad is the de riguer square white saddle pad.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:55 pm

Beautiful. Love how you matched the browband and your stock tie.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:42 pm

redsoxluvr wrote:This thread is timely, as I pulled out my white breeches, shirt and stock tie yesterday and threw them in the wash for the first time in years.
I ordered new boots this past week. I ordered navy Petries with a navy croc cuff. I am pretty conservative, so this is a bit of a stretch for me! I have a navy IRH helmet and am looking for a navy coat to match. I make my own pretty browbands, so the Ginger Ninja has red tiger eye with topaz Swarovskis and Leonardo di Ponio has amethyst. Saddle pad is the de riguer square white saddle pad.

Oooh, navy boots. Drooling over here! You must post a pic when they arrive.
Keep calm and canter on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:51 pm

I will do so. I got them for just under $600, so I am spectacularly excited.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:39 pm

So the navy croc bridle arrived a few minutes ago... It's actually rather pretty and subtle sitting here in the sunshine on my desk. Can't wait to try it on the black-faced beast!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:17 am

Moutaineer wrote:So the navy croc bridle arrived a few minutes ago... It's actually rather pretty and subtle sitting here in the sunshine on my desk. Can't wait to try it on the black-faced beast!

Oh, we will need pics of this on handsome Laddie too!

My Petrie Allures arrived today. I could use another 1 cm of height, but they were 25% off so I'm happy.

Considering one of the noise cancelling bonnets. Anyone using one?
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:47 am

StraightForward wrote:Considering one of the noise cancelling bonnets. Anyone using one?

Yes. That's why I haven't died this winter, rehabbing with the snow crashing off the roof...

It's a good thing.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 pm

Moutaineer wrote:
StraightForward wrote:Considering one of the noise cancelling bonnets. Anyone using one?

Yes. That's why I haven't died this winter, rehabbing with the snow crashing off the roof...

It's a good thing.

After our exciting ride in the indoor during a wind storm yesterday, I'm thinking I need one for such occasions. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:55 pm

SF, mine was expensive because Laddie has Mule-sized ears... We ended up with the large Equifit (I think) one. but I see Horze does them now at a sensible price.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Reading this thread makes me wish I was planning show attire! I hope we get some pictures as the show season starts up.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:50 am

StraightForward wrote:
Moutaineer wrote:So the navy croc bridle arrived a few minutes ago... It's actually rather pretty and subtle sitting here in the sunshine on my desk. Can't wait to try it on the black-faced beast!

Oh, we will need pics of this on handsome Laddie too!

My Petrie Allures arrived today. I could use another 1 cm of height, but they were 25% off so I'm happy.

Considering one of the noise cancelling bonnets. Anyone using one?

The LeMieux noise cancelling bonnets are excellent.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:21 pm

redsoxluvr wrote:
StraightForward wrote:
Moutaineer wrote:The LeMieux noise cancelling bonnets are excellent.

I ordered the Schoeckemohle Silent Ear Bonnet since SmartPak has it, and I can send it back if it's too big. The LeMieux Acoustic in black, cob size doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere (except somewhere in UK that was like $25 for shipping). I'll keep stalking the LeMieux model though.

I picked up some light grey breeches too... I've been riding in silicone full seats, and my white breeches are clarino. I didn't think our first few shows would be the time to downgrade on stick-factor.

Oy, I've done some damage to the credit card in the last twelve hours, but I think I'm all set for now.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:47 pm

I was looking last night and mine in the Schoekemohle Silent Ears in "Extra Enormous." It really does help a lot.

And yes, I've been pondering stickier breeches, too :)

I'm actually signing up to go on our first outing since he hurt himself--a schooling show, but one where you are expected to dress up and braid, so it will be good practice! (The judge is the trainer who testified in court that Laddie was "neurologic, couldn't canter on his left lead, and was dangerous and unrideable," so this should be quite interesting...)

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:35 am

Please, please, please update at a future date whether you like your Petries or not. I had Petrie 3000s back in the day and they wore like iron. They're too big now and not tall enough but they're still totally sound. UNLIKE my 1.5 year old custom Konigs which are so trashed that they're only good enough to be schooling boots. Horrible things. Will never make THAT mistake again. I am interested in the Petrie Allures.

Any Dover can "backorder" the Le Mieux soundproof ear bonnet with no commitment if you don't like it. I ordered one last week and it should be here next week. The "large" isn't all that large, especially considering the Schockemohle is ginormous.

I just bought a 3-button coat from a French company called "Horse Pilot". It's a little different looking because it doesn't have a real collar- it's just stitched to look like it does. I'm short waisted and busty so it's nice to have a coat that doesn't buckle at the back and lies smoothly in the front. https://www.horsepilot.com/en/competiti ... olor-black
It's black with chestnut brown alcantara accents. Now to find coordinating extras. My darn show pad is black with silver so I might have to change that.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Oooo, scruffy - that is a beautiful jacket! Is your horse a chestnut?

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:14 am

Thank you! I was hyperventilating over the 3-button thing but since Kingsland and Pikeur both have 3-button dressage coats in their lineup this year I hope it's going to be okay.

My current horse is a black bay with a lighter brown muzzle. My last horse was a chestnut- go figure. Now I have to accessorize with the jacket. I'm thinking copper braid on a white saddle pad or his fly veil (summer flies make him nuts). Maybe some copper pearls on a bun cover. All suggestions welcomed!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:54 am

scruffy the cat wrote:Please, please, please update at a future date whether you like your Petries or not. I had Petrie 3000s back in the day and they wore like iron. They're too big now and not tall enough but they're still totally sound. UNLIKE my 1.5 year old custom Konigs which are so trashed that they're only good enough to be schooling boots. Horrible things. Will never make THAT mistake again. I am interested in the Petrie Allures.

Any Dover can "backorder" the Le Mieux soundproof ear bonnet with no commitment if you don't like it. I ordered one last week and it should be here next week. The "large" isn't all that large, especially considering the Schockemohle is ginormous.

I just bought a 3-button coat from a French company called "Horse Pilot". It's a little different looking because it doesn't have a real collar- it's just stitched to look like it does. I'm short waisted and busty so it's nice to have a coat that doesn't buckle at the back and lies smoothly in the front. https://www.horsepilot.com/en/competiti ... olor-black
It's black with chestnut brown alcantara accents. Now to find coordinating extras. My darn show pad is black with silver so I might have to change that.

Scruffy, will do. So far I am extremely impressed with the service I am getting from the tack store. Eta on the beautiful boots is 5 weeks.
There is a company called Van Huet riding boots that is one of the biggest Petrie dealers in the Nederlands. I always keep a weather eye on their 25% off section. Basically, people order boots, they get returned for fit or whatever then they are resold at a huge discount. If you know your size, you can get a smoking deal

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:35 pm

redsoxluvr wrote:
Scruffy, will do. So far I am extremely impressed with the service I am getting from the tack store. Eta on the beautiful boots is 5 weeks.
There is a company called Van Huet riding boots that is one of the biggest Petrie dealers in the Nederlands. I always keep a weather eye on their 25% off section. Basically, people order boots, they get returned for fit or whatever then they are resold at a huge discount. If you know your size, you can get a smoking deal

Yep, I ordered my boots from Van Huet - finally had a 25% off pair in my size. I was surprised that they took only about 10 days to get here, which was faster than getting my coat from Calevo. I'm waiting for the weather to dry out a bit before I take them on their maiden voyage to the barn, but they SEEM really well-made.
Keep calm and canter on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:03 am

I ordered from my favorite tack store in England on Saturday and my delivery arrives tomorrow. I think that's pretty fast!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:05 am

redsoxluvr wrote:I ordered from my favorite tack store in England on Saturday and my delivery arrives tomorrow. I think that's pretty fast!

Okay, you can't leave us hanging like that! Who is your favorite tack store in England??

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:22 am

horsehealth.co.uk is my favorite, but I do like others. Sheepsgate Tack is good, saddlesdirect.co.uk is good as well. There's an eBay seller called happytailwaggers that is excellent too. For boots I like rijlaarzen.nl/en/ or reitstiefel.shop/en. Reitstiefel actually has a boot configurator that you can use to cost out options.

I scored two absolutely gorgeous bamboo LeMieux saddle pads ( one olive, one tangerine!), two really high quality padded
leather halters and shipping for $240. I ordered last Friday and they arrived today. Can't beat the deal - these are brand new colors, so they weren't on sale. Sale colors I can normally get for about 30 pounds ($35 US) each or less. Hands down they are the best pads I have ever used. If I try to buy LeMieux in the US it's at least $70 per pad plus a long wait and the halters are at least $100 each - if you can find them. As long as the total is under $800 there is no duty, and obviously no sales tax as it is the UK. If I ordered the same total from Dover, the shipping would be the same :roll:

Before anyone complains, I try to buy local whenever I can. However, being a mere mortal financially means that I have to stretch my horse dollars to the maximum. I can't pay double just because it's a local business. Truthfully, the stores here locally don't carry what I like, and if I go there to get something I am typically ignored because I shop the sale items.

Eye candy -
https://www.horsehealth.co.uk/saddle-pa ... 1067_1432&
https://www.horsehealth.co.uk/saddle-pa ... 1067_1447&

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:32 am

I could do some serious damage to my bank account on that site, redsox!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks redsox, they have the LeMieux acoustic bonnet in black/cob in case the Schockemohle doesn't work out. I'm glad I'm using the the LeMieux merino numnahs, which only come in black or white, so I can't get tempted to go down the matchy-matchy rabbit hole. The olive green would be lovely on my red head! I do love their pads - I'm getting rid of all my other pads and buying these, though I noticed the other day that Woof Wear is making pads with the same design (D-straps and wear guards at the girth), which look interesting.

As far as fancy goes, in not strictly show attire, I got A a set of white gloss DSBs and matching blingy Pfiff bell boots. We probably won't use them at shows because I'm not likely to have a ground person to pull them for me, so they'll be reserved for lessons and clinics, I guess.

The light grey Piper Knit breeches arrived yesterday, and the color is really lovely - I was hesitant because they looked almost tan on my monitor, but they're a nice soft dove grey.

The browband from post #1 is working well with my Micklem bridle, and the turquoise is quite fetching on her redness.

Now to figure out the braiding situation!
Keep calm and canter on.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:31 pm

Love this post. I have also bought Le Mieux from some of those places and loved it. 2 points though: 30 GPB is more like $42 though with US prices on Le Mieux it's still a steal. Dover now carries Le Mieux (admittedly for the higher price!) in case you want to touch them before you buy and Dover changed their shipping policy and is now $9.95 flat rate.

I am a huge Le Mieux fan. My only problem with them is that the pads are so durable and wash so well that it's hard to justify my wish to buy more of them.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:44 am

StraightForward wrote:Thanks redsox, they have the LeMieux acoustic bonnet in black/cob in case the Schockemohle doesn't work out. I'm glad I'm using the the LeMieux merino numnahs, which only come in black or white, so I can't get tempted to go down the matchy-matchy rabbit hole. The olive green would be lovely on my red head! I do love their pads - I'm getting rid of all my other pads and buying these, though I noticed the other day that Woof Wear is making pads with the same design (D-straps and wear guards at the girth), which look interesting.

Ahem. I already got both the olive and tangerine pads. As expected, they are absolutely stunning on my fiery ginger.

#notsorry

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:50 am

scruffy the cat wrote:Love this post. I have also bought Le Mieux from some of those places and loved it. 2 points though: 30 GPB is more like $42 though with US prices on Le Mieux it's still a steal. Dover now carries Le Mieux (admittedly for the higher price!) in case you want to touch them before you buy and Dover changed their shipping policy and is now $9.95 flat rate.

I am a huge Le Mieux fan. My only problem with them is that the pads are so durable and wash so well that it's hard to justify my wish to buy more of them.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. I have no trouble justifying mine. First, because I donated all my saddle pads to a relief organization in the Dominican Republic. They donate the pads (and other horse gear) to the locals in an attempt to alleviate the pack horses' suffering. Somewhere, in El Cercado, DR the locals have some really nice pads from Divoza under their pack saddles. Second, I am painfully cheap in every other equid related regard.
Lastly, I am an adult and damn it, sometimes I feel like behaving like a 15yo girl who covets a new cell phone. These are way cheaper than an iPhone!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:15 am

redsoxluvr wrote:Lastly, I am an adult and damn it, sometimes I feel like behaving like a 15yo girl who covets a new cell phone. These are way cheaper than an iPhone!

A-FREAKING-MEN!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”