The 13 year old lightbulb

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

The 13 year old lightbulb

Postby PaulaO » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm

I’ve lived in my condo for 13 years. I am not the original owner. This morning the lightbulb in my closet finally burned out. That bulb was at least 13 years old because I’ve never changed it and I doubt the previous owner ever did. He was a single guy and there was ONE nail hole in the whole place, for a wall clock.....

Literiding
Herd Member

Re: The 13 year old lightbulb

Postby Literiding » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Just a youngster! I moved into my house in October of 1989. I've never replaced the hallway light making it 29 and 1/2 years old and still going. It is a difficult bulb to replace requiring a ladder and juggling of the globe, so I'm almost sure that I didn't replace it before I realized that it's still original for the house.

Another single guy. <BEG> But I do use the light regularly for cleaning the hall and when searching for a book in my linen closet that has been re-purposed as a library annex.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:46 pm

I was constantly changing light bubs in my old place, I suspect it had more to do with crappy wiring than the light bulbs themselves. I have been in my current place since August and no changes yet. I bet I wont need them for a while.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:37 am

We just received several LED bulbs for free from the power company. On the box, it says they will last 23 years, based on something like 3 hours of use per day. As I installed them, I realized I will likely never have to change a bulb in the entryway chandelier again. Even with CFLs, changing bulbs seems like such a novel and unusual thing; I want to switch to LEDs, but the CFLs have many more years in them, most likely.
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:53 pm

Straightforward - I also got a really nice supply of LED's FREE from my power company.

The bulbs in my walk in closet seem to burn out pretty quick (probably because I forget to turn them off) they are horrible to change. The fixture has a very heavy glass bowl and a heavy decorative metal piece that sits as part of the bowl, then you have two screw on pieces that hold the bowl to the top - OMG - if I had known how heavy these lights were I would never have bought them. Try doing all this on a ladder, LOL.....
I just had my nephew switch them out to LED's hoping they will last a lot longer.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”