NJ Has New Ticks

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

NJ Has New Ticks

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:03 pm

https://www.morningticker.com/2018/04/s ... crambling/

Ick. Never seen them on horses as badly I saw them in Spain. I've always wondered if you could wrap flea and tick collars around the legs, just above the knee.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Re: NJ Has New Ticks

Postby Saddlebum » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Eeeeeeww....it's only been the last 3-4 years that I've found ticks on my guys. One on my donkey 2 yrs ago and now, my dog and cat have one on them once or twice a week during the season. 27 yrs here.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:51 pm

State animal of NJ is no longer the horse - it is the TICK.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:01 am

Ick. They ARE creepy. When I was a kid we NEVER had them in Michigan!

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:55 am

Tarlo Farm wrote:Ick. They ARE creepy. When I was a kid we NEVER had them in Michigan!

Jesus. Friend's dog was just dxed with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. In Wisconsin. First tick of the year.

In 1960, our Springer picked up ticks at lake cottage in the deep woods near what is now the Palisades power plant (Palisades Park/Covert) and brought them home to Franklin (north of Detroit). My mother freaked. Never saw another until I moved to the Colorado mountains. My dog would get one or two every spring but once it got hot, never saw them again. Never on a horse. Then I moved my horse to Lincoln, Nebraska and holy shit ... his entire crest was alive with them. Poll to withers. It was a nightmare scenario. And I'd be picking them out of his tail -- particularly around the tip of the tail bone. Now living with them in WI. Ugh.

I was at some dog event a few years ago with a vet talking about ticks. I asked him what the heck was going on. There were not ticks like this a few decades ago. He said -- you also saw very few deer. Now they are everywhere. Well, that is true. Hmmm...

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Hayburner » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

They don't know how they got to NJ ????? LOL

We import products - looks like a few ticks hitched a ride on something to get to NJ !!! Won't be long this bugger will be thru the USA.....

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:52 pm

Just like Emerald Ash Borer. Came into Detroit probably on a pallet. From China. Now every ash tree, planted in the '60s to replace every Dutch elm disease stricken elm, will die.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:46 pm

They are already bad in the Pac NW this year, suddenly numerous in places where they weren't so much so.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:50 pm

Woost2 wrote:Just like Emerald Ash Borer. Came into Detroit probably on a pallet. From China. Now every ash tree, planted in the '60s to replace every Dutch elm disease stricken elm, will die.

Eight in one pasture alone. A HUGE 40 footer too big to lock hands around in my woodlot. The end of ash ax handles and other ash hardwood items. I know a PhD forester who thinks in 50 years we'll have no hardwood trees over 20 feet. :cry:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”