Trigger finger

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Trigger finger

Postby PaulaO » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:46 pm

I’ve been diagnosed with trigger finger on my right hand ring finger. It’s achy, but not frozen. My doctor has recommended a steroid shot which I am willing to do. This started about a month ago, so hopefully it’s been caught early. He thinks it might be from riding! Anyone have this?

piedmontfields

Re: Trigger finger

Postby piedmontfields » Tue May 01, 2018 1:34 am

That seems a little odd. I would not think riding unless you were doing a ton of heavy horses a day. Maybe work related? I don't know how much keyboarding or other routine actions you do. Some people do fine with steroids; others do not. It can certainly provide relief if not a cure.

On the other hand, I have swollen fingers that sometimes barely function--however, I have a well confirmed weird auto inflammatory/auto immune disease that makes most of my joints swell + some other fun symptoms. I usually can't make a fist in the morning, but can by evening (when I frequently ride). This condition is in part why I have the "very light" aka contact phobic mare. I cannot ride a horse who truly puts multiple pounds of weight in the reins anymore. Or if I do, I immediately start "lightening them up" so that I can ride!

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Wed May 02, 2018 9:29 am

I have one from chemo. Makes plaiting a pain when it locks halfway through a plait.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed May 02, 2018 4:47 pm

I'm getting injected Friday. Of course the finger feels perfectly fine today.

awa
Novice

Postby awa » Wed May 02, 2018 11:14 pm

I’ve had several. For me, steroid injections provided very limited relief, even after multiple shots. I had surgeries to release each one.
Hopefully you will have a better result.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri May 04, 2018 4:20 pm

My finger was injected this morning. I made the doctor use Mr. Freezy so it's still a bit numb and it feels funny to type with it. It already feels better, perhaps because the fluid is creating space. I'm not riding tomorrow, not because of the shot, but because I have other plans. I will back in the saddle Sunday.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”