Tell me about your colonoscopy

goneriding
Herd Member

Tell me about your colonoscopy

Postby goneriding » Thu May 03, 2018 4:53 am

I really need to have a colonoscopy and I am scared... shitless (heehee). I was persuaded years ago by a naturopath that "hydrotherapy" (colonic irrigation) would help me feel better, and I had a terrible experience with it. I also get really light-headed, nauseous and confused if I don't eat, so I'm anxious to fast for essentially 24 hours. But I've been having an uncomfortable crampy feeling in my lower left abdomen and erratic bowel habits that are unusual for me, and I'm 53, so it needs to be checked. I'm truly terrified to do it.

I'd like to hear your colonoscopy stories, please. I think it would help.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Re: Tell me about your colonoscopy

Postby Koolkat » Thu May 03, 2018 6:21 am

You are not alone! The worse part is the prep. I've been through the prep process twice, once when preparing for a hysterectomy, and once for a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy was worse, as trying to work my way through that gallon jug of grossness caused me to start vomiting before it began to take effect. Luckily it finally did, and was sufficient for the process to go forward (sorry for TMI). Anyway, the colonoscopy itself was easy. If I remember correctly, they give you a bit of anti-anxiety stuff (it is required that you are accompanied by a designated driver). The procedure doesn't take long, and at worse, it was mildly uncomfortable. I had 2 polyps (harmless) which they removed during the procedure.

Colonoscopies save many lives, it is a very small inconvenience for the benefits. Thanks for the reminder, it's been about 5 years.

You really must see a doctor, the hysterectomy I referenced above had to do with an ovarian tumor which was the size of a grapefruit, but luckily benign.

Tsavo
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Tsavo » Thu May 03, 2018 12:24 pm

I had a colonoscopy last year. The prep is better now than it used to be. It is fasting and then two large cups of a concentrated salt solution separated by several hours. You have to drink equal quantities of water after each large cup but you don't have to do it that quickly.

I have to tell you that I followed the directions and they still could not do the procedure. This happens a certain amount of the time for whatever reason. This totally crushed me that I would have to do the prep again in a month. I fretted and got angry about doing it again and possibly failing again. Although they told me to repeat the SAME procedure, I was not doing that and took matters into my own hands. I started a 5 day diet with almost no fiber in anything I ate. I added laxatives in these 5 days. I drank 2 bottles of mag citrate. I cried about the possibility of it not working and having to do it a third time. At one point I turned to my husband and said I thought I had PTSD over this. My husband needs a medal.

My procedure took twice as long (~30 minutes) as normal (~15 minutes) and they had to switch out personnel. I have a tortuous lower colon and they were pushing so hard on my stomach to guide the scope that I came shallow at one point. They told me my ab muscles made this harder... it is easier on people with less muscle. They found a few things that they removed and I am good to go for 5 years if I don't get hit by a bus (or throw myself in front of a bus) before then LOL.

My boss failed her first prep also and she coached me in this longer prep. Other people have had no problem with the prep. Most people have no problem with the prep. I am just telling you since you are concerned to prophylacticly go on a longer prep if you are concerned. That will work and you will not have to be concerned about going ahead with the procedure. I will NEVER go into another colonoscopy without being on a 5 day prep.

Knowledge is power.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Just got back from my annual and need to do this for the first time also....I was able to get the home test kit (covered by insurance now). Cologuard?
If you do not have any risk factors (talk to your dr), they might allow it?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Thu May 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Had a colonoscopy about 7 years ago. The prep wasn't bad, just drinking a lot of stuff. I had a friendly relationship with my GI (I work in a hospital and we used to do crossword puzzles every Friday) and he told me "once every 10 years you have to not eat for a day. You'll live." I stayed home the day of prep but didn't need to. You will be able to drink chicken broth and eat Jell-O and popsicles that aren't red or orange. The colonoscopy itself was no big deal. You get sedated which I think is the greatest thing in the world. After it's done, you go home and eat. Not a bad day.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Thu May 03, 2018 2:43 pm

It is no big deal. I had one during a bout of severe colitis brought on by food poisoning. The prep was nothing compared to having acute colitis for almost two weeks prior. They mildly sedate you, you are in and out quickly. I had polyps removed but it was no biggie. I would say make sure you get a good gastroenterologist. Ask how many colonoscopies they've done and how many perforated colons they've had. That is something you don't want. You do need someone to drive you home.

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Thu May 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Koolkat wrote:You are not alone! The worse part is the prep. I've been through the prep process twice, once when preparing for a hysterectomy, and once for a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy was worse, as trying to work my way through that gallon jug of grossness caused me to start vomiting before it began to take effect. Luckily it finally did, and was sufficient for the process to go forward (sorry for TMI). Anyway, the colonoscopy itself was easy. If I remember correctly, they give you a bit of anti-anxiety stuff (it is required that you are accompanied by a designated driver). The procedure doesn't take long, and at worse, it was mildly uncomfortable. I had 2 polyps (harmless) which they removed during the procedure.

Colonoscopies save many lives, it is a very small inconvenience for the benefits. Thanks for the reminder, it's been about 5 years.

You really must see a doctor, the hysterectomy I referenced above had to do with an ovarian tumor which was the size of a grapefruit, but luckily benign.

I first thought it was a female thing because I have adenomyosis, but I had an ultrasound (inc intrauterine) and everything there looks normal. I'd read that at menopause things go back to normal with this condition, and apparently that is true for me. So round two is checking the gastro parts.

I'm hesitant to do Cologard because it's not a great screening if things are suspect, and if you do Cologard first the subsequent colonoscopy is considered diagnostic rather than screening and I'd have to pay for it. At least that's what I've read.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Thu May 03, 2018 6:47 pm

SInce you had a change in bowel habits, you absolutely cannot rely on Cologuard. Sorry.

Honestly, the prep is unpleasant but better than the first time I did it - not only was it the diet and the oral prep but it was an enema too (I am old). Unpleasant. Not "I wanna die kill me now." And the test itself - well, you will snooze through it.

Pick up your big girl panties and do what you need to do! Get it over and it's all over.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu May 03, 2018 7:17 pm

If you have polys, you need to get them removed. Why wait until they transform and you can pick them up with Cologard? Think of it as the cheapest way to prevent very large bills.

I went through the same anxiety, but it definitely falls into the category of anticipation being worse than reality. Just do it!

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu May 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Been there done it two maybe three times. The prep is not fun but this last time was a LOT easier. It has changed from what it used to be. There was no vomiting and it was all pretty quick. As someone else mentioned you can eat clear liquids, soups, jellos etc. You are under sedation for the process itself so afterwards go home eat and sleep it off. It's not that bad.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri May 04, 2018 4:03 am

I am sure you didn't have any good drugs on board for your "hydrotherapy" (shudder). The regular MD's have good drugs at their disposal and the procedure itself is a piece of cake. The prep is a drag but necessary. It isn't truly fasting. You can have clears including broth and popsicles so can get a bit of protein and sugar in your system.

I've had two..3 years apart because they found a couple polyps the first time. The worst thing about the first one was they forgot to unplug the Code Blue cord from the bed and activated the system when they wheeled my bed out. Of course, I also work at that hospital :oops: . They got it shut off and canceled before the cavalry arrived. This time I can go five years...whoopee. Yes, I will do it again then (2 more years).

Will hubby go with you and hold your hand? Really. It isn't silly at all.

Jingles for all clear.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

gee
Greenie

Postby gee » Fri May 04, 2018 1:51 pm

Tsavo wrote:I had a colonoscopy last year. The prep is better now than it used to be. It is fasting and then two large cups of a concentrated salt solution separated by several hours. You have to drink equal quantities of water after each large cup but you don't have to do it that quickly.

This is what i had. Mine was called Suprep. Yes you can have clears, but no red, i.e., cherry popsicles, etc. I basically took a load of magazines (did not have my Kindle at the time) into the bathroom with me and just sat. The procedure itself was the best sleep I had in ages. :D After it was all over with, I was starving and ate like a pig, no problems.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri May 04, 2018 2:58 pm

FWIW, every Dr has their own preferred prep process. If there is one that sounds "appealing" (since, frankly, none of them area really appealing :lol:) ask your Dr about using that.

Please, please get one.

OTB, there is a member who didn't get one maybe as promptly as she should have. I'll leave it at that.

Colon cancer is one of the cancers that can be so easy to diagnose if caught early. Polyps can be snipped before they turn cancerous As everyone has said, the prep is, by far, the worst part. The actual procedure is often not a bad thing as you are normally given meds. Most now seem to like Propofol. You wake up fairly quickly and the majority of the time, you can stop and eat lunch on the way home :)

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri May 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Once I get around to getting the rx filled, I'll be doing the Cologuard; no history of GI issues in my family. Maybe one day I'll do the real deal.

If you haven't read Dave Barry's column (from the early 2000's) on his colonoscopy, here is a link to what I believe is the abbreviated version. You'll laugh till you cry :lol:

https://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2 ... dave-barry

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Every doctor seems to be doing a different prep. I did the gallon o' GoLytely with very specific timing for a 1:00 appointment. It can be mixed with lemon crystal light and sucked down with a straw. Straw is brilliant since you can mostly keep all that salt off your tongue. Chicken broth was useful as a palate cleanser and permission to eat all the jello (not red, orange or blue) I wanted made me surprisingly happy. I made it with an extra package of Knox gelatin so it became finger food. I surfaced towards the end and opened by eyes to see all that was happening on the screen. It was fascinating watching my squeaky clean colon go by.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat May 05, 2018 5:03 am

Woost2 wrote: I surfaced towards the end and opened by eyes to see all that was happening on the screen. It was fascinating watching my squeaky clean colon go by.

I did the same thing on colonoscopy #1. No discomfort at all and quite impressed by my squeaky clean innards :lol: . #2...slept through the whole thing.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue May 08, 2018 1:24 pm

I just got my first one last June at 55. It was not bad at ALL.
http://www.prepopik.com/

DO THE PREPOPIK prep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a coupon for it. It was an expensive prep but it was TOTALLY worth it.
It kicked in about 45 mins after I took it and yeah I was in the bathroom for about 2 hours or so but then it was over and I didn't feel sick or have stomach cramps or anything.
Slept fine and did the prep again the next morning.

To do list:
Eat lightly the entire week of your procedure.
Get baby wipes because there is a lot a wiping and it's easier on your bum.
Lay in supplies like a phone or iPad or whatever in the bathroom.
Get chicken broth and jello. I thought the fasting would be bad because I eat like 5 times/day but it was not bad.
You can drink any clear liquid you want - not only water.
Don't make your appt for too early in the day because you have to get up early and do another prep and you have to be done with the bathroom by the time you are about to leave. Make it for around 11:30 am. So you can get up at 5 am or so.

The procedure itself is nothing. Propofol. You are out and feel fine when you wake up

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue May 08, 2018 1:27 pm

You can eat lemon ices too.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue May 08, 2018 3:24 pm

IMO, do the prep your Dr requests or at least discuss it with your Dr :)

The procedure itself... piece of cake with the propofol.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”