Somebody was sassy yesterday

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Somebody was sassy yesterday

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 07, 2018 1:16 pm

Miss A, that's who. I decided since it was such a nice day we would ride outside, in the grassy area behind the barn and adjacent to her pasture. She fussed at the mounting block and I finally got on and she promptly stuck her head in the air and trotted off to God only knows where she was going. Her mouth was gaping and reins had no effect on her. I said to myself, you know what to do so put her into a circle with my hips and legs. She was fairly uncontrollable. I dismounted, we did ground work, and I remounted and managed to get her to walk in large circles. She decided she was done while I was taking her off cross ties and started walking away with one tie still on. I went ballistic on her @ss, unhooked her, made her back up, and told her she was going back to being a school horse. Not really, but that is my threat.

I wasn't able to ride since last Tuesday, and Alexa couldn't ride her Friday. A certain red head is getting thoroughly worked this week...

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Re: Somebody was sassy yesterday

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon May 07, 2018 1:33 pm

Oh my! She was in a "mood"! Good for you for not letting her get the upper hand!

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Mon May 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Just remember, riding a mare can be a challenge:

A mare's day , , , .jpg
A mare's day , , , .jpg (77.41 KiB) Viewed 6194 times

The secret is to keep things from getting out of hand:

palio01.jpg
palio01.jpg (102.07 KiB) Viewed 6194 times

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Fortunately I did not end up like the rider in the last picture. That's some bitting. Can anyone see what all is there?

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Mon May 07, 2018 4:33 pm

The poor soul appears to be a member of the Spanish LaGuardia Caballero and is probably a pretty good rider. After a bit of internet searching, the LaGuardia horses all use a pretty traditional full bridle except the curb is of a “Cowboy Snaffle” design. Here is a ceremonial bridle on a horse which appears to be the LaGuardia standard full bridle but a bit dressed up. If you look at the horse in the upper left of the crash photo, you can see (barely) how the bridle probably looked on the victim’s horse before the wreck.

Guardia_Civil_a_caballo_Dos_de_Mayo_2008_n1 copy.jpg
Guardia_Civil_a_caballo_Dos_de_Mayo_2008_n1 copy.jpg (110.9 KiB) Viewed 6176 times

From looking at various enhancements, my guess is that bridle or bit broke and part of the bit has been pulled though horse’s mouth which may explain why an excellent rider found himself about to have a very painful experience.

palio01 close up.jpg
palio01 close up.jpg (84 KiB) Viewed 6176 times

From a different point of view:

palio04 copy.jpg
palio04 copy.jpg (73.55 KiB) Viewed 6176 times

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Poor chestnut probably got a headache from slamming into the wall, judging by the last picture.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

That's what the padding was for. 8-) Oh.My.Gawd!! I love how stoic the rider still looks in the first close-up. And the gelding/mare/stallion meme is hysterical!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 09, 2018 2:36 am

As a mare person, I have to point out that only the mare can be both incredibly happy and angelic :-D It is a great meme!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed May 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Miss A. was better last night, though a bit inattentive. I brushed her tail after riding and discovered she is in season. Could be the reason for the sassiness. I'm getting used to the many moods of the mare.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”