What a few months it has been

Chancellor
Site Admin

What a few months it has been

Postby Chancellor » Mon May 07, 2018 8:03 pm

In february, I took on the project of upgrading our ERP system at work. We jumped from version 6 to version 9.
And it has been hell. Far too many bugs for a mature product like this.
The first week, I worked 75 hours. The second week more than 60. Then I got my yearly review.
My yearly review was "Last year was a challenging year for your work wise". IOW, I hadn't lived up to their expectations. The man giving me my review had replaced my boss who had quit in September. So, basically, was reviewing my last three months (but with insight from my former boss)

Let's see. Last year, I had a double mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiation. I was hospitalized once for low potassium giving my heart issues. I was hospitalized a second time with a MRSA infection around my port. Yeah, last year was challenging to say the least.

So, yeah, I wasn't going to do more than 40 hours a week anymore.

They finally hired a new boss to replace the interim boss. New boss seemed okay....UNTIL I got in trouble for using the word "damn" in an email. Mind you, he regularly drops F bombs and uses Shit. But apparently, saying something about a damned application is enough to get one written up. Yes, that happened.

Over the weekend, my Siamese cat Lexicon had a stroke or seizure or something. I brought him to the ER where he was watched overnight and then discharged. He came home to me on Sunday afternoon where we had a good evening.

This morning, he came down stairs falling hard to the left again. He was seizing again. I had to make the decision this morning to put both him and my pit bull Scarlett to sleep. Scarlett has been failing for awhile now but last night started showing some neurological signs.
(yes, I am a bit worried about two animals having neuro signs but they were both 14 years old so, it is also entirely possible that they were both just failing)

Through all of my treatments and sickness, Scarlett and Lexicon comforted me by sitting with me. Now, I don't have them for comfort and I really could use that right now. My husband has been absolutely wonderful, don't get me wrong. But man I miss those two. I am heartbroken. So very heartbroken.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Re: What a few months it has been

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon May 07, 2018 8:17 pm

You have been through a LOT. I am sorry for your stresses and sorrows. I hope a new, pleasant (happy) surprise is on your horizon!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 07, 2018 8:28 pm

I am sorry about your Scarlett and Lexicon. It is so painful to lose our anipals. And good for you for the 40 hour work week. Feel free to swear here!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue May 08, 2018 12:08 am

You have my total and complete empathy and sympathy. That is just tough and so unfair of the old boss, but most of all it is so sad you lost your 2 friends. I am so sorry.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue May 08, 2018 12:43 am

Wow, that you are still truckin' on after all of that is admirable. What short-sighted knuckleheads your fill-in manager/new boss are. Their behavior speaks loads about them, nothing about you.

I'm so sorry to hear about Scarlett & Lexicon. It's so hard to lose them, especially so close together. You have all of my sympathy.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue May 08, 2018 12:45 am

So sorry for the loss of your pets :( That would be so sad. And such a tough run you've been having. I hope it starts improving for you soon.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue May 08, 2018 2:00 am

Well sh*t sh*t sh*t not something I usually say or write but that describes what you've been going through! At work give them their 40 hours, keep meticulous notes, and see how the situation/new boss developes.

With your animals all you can do is know you will miss them. We have them, we love them, and we lose them. But the experiences with them are so much better than they would have been without them. Have some good crys. BTDT. You have all my sympathy and empathy.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue May 08, 2018 2:07 am

I'm sorry. Meezers leave big holes. I still miss my guy who has been gone longer than he was with me - but he made such an impact that I still think of him. I imagine pit bull impacts are larger still, my friend has a wonderful one I always look forward to seeing.

Huge hugs, Chance.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue May 08, 2018 11:29 am

I'm so sorry you lost your pets. It is so hard when they are a family member and you feel their presence in your home.

Regarding work - give them 40 hrs and don't kill yourself on projects. Bosses set unrealistic deadlines then take the credit when the goals are met.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue May 08, 2018 12:56 pm

So very sorry for the loss of your pets.

Your boss is a douchebag.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue May 08, 2018 1:13 pm

I had the great pleasure of meeting Scarlett and Lex. I feel so fortunate that I did. They were sweet, wonderful, funny animals. What a huge, huge loss it is to just lose one, let alone two of them. To pile on the health issues you have had, and then add to that trouble at work - well - I am surprised you are not curled up in a fetal position in a corner somewhere.
When a supervisor at work has it in for you, they look for any excuse to railroad you. So keep that in mind and show up and do your 40 hours and then leave them in the dust at the end of the day.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue May 08, 2018 3:22 pm

{{Chancellor}}

Sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved pets. They will still always be with you (I know mine are :) ).

You *have* had a challenging year. If your employer can't deal with that, then kick them to the curb.

Don't know the ERP application you use but software of that nature a jump from v6 to v9 will be huge. I am retired but have always been in IT. Seems anymore that time to market for software developers is more important than the quality of their software. Hopefully your employer has learned not to get so far out of date either ;)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue May 08, 2018 8:06 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:{{Chancellor}}

Sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved pets. They will still always be with you (I know mine are :) ).

You *have* had a challenging year. If your employer can't deal with that, then kick them to the curb.

Don't know the ERP application you use but software of that nature a jump from v6 to v9 will be huge. I am retired but have always been in IT. Seems anymore that time to market for software developers is more important than the quality of their software. Hopefully your employer has learned not to get so far out of date either ;)

My predecessor was absolutely against upgrading. And that was the problem. When I joined this company two years ago, we were still on Server 2003!
I'm absolutely disappointed in this fortune 500 company. I cannot believe this location was allowed to stay on outdated software because of one person!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue May 08, 2018 8:55 pm

They should have had a test bed where you test the upgrade there first.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue May 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Sometimes, it's a Catch 22. I have an application that was bought out several times. The original "owner" had good support. The current "owner" has horrible support. I *need* to upgrade, however I'm pretty certain that if the upgrade goes south, we'll get very little sympathy or support. Yes, we'll be provided a sandbox, however I hold little faith that what occurs in the sandbox will occur in the live environment. I've been searching for a new solution, however I'm fairly confident the current solution will be uncooperative in transferring our data (it's a hosted environment). UGH!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed May 09, 2018 1:49 am

I wish I had words that could actually comfort. I don't. But I am thinking about you and wishing you peace during this sad, sad time.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed May 09, 2018 12:29 pm

LeoApp wrote:They should have had a test bed where you test the upgrade there first.

We did. I set up a test environment that people could test in for 3 months! Unfortunately, people didn't do a thorough job. Lucky me.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed May 09, 2018 2:31 pm

FWIW, one can test all one wants and it still rarely finds "everything".

For sure, a good test suite is very important but duplicating what real users do can be hard although there are tools (which, yes, cost $$) which can be used to capture what real users do for test playback.

You aren't the only one who uses key software applications that won't/can't upgrade. It's not fun when the upgrade or migration takes place. Unfortunately, IMO it becomes more and more painful the longer one waits (as you know).

Been there, done that, wore out the t-shirt :)

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 09, 2018 4:14 pm

I'm so sorry Chancelor for the rough go of it. Work, medical issues and losing your two furry friends. Hard enough to lose one, but 2 is just beyond rough. Virtual hugs to you from middle GA.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed May 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Aww, Chancellor, so sorry about Scarlett and Lex. Coupled with stupid job troubles, life can certainly seem overwhelming. Thank goodness for your understanding husband and the ability to vent to us bozos on the DDBB! :P

All I can offer up is cyber hugs and wishes for better days to come.
Sue

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed May 09, 2018 5:06 pm

That's a rough few(!) months :(

Luddites who are afraid to upgrade should be weighed down with the corpses of old tech.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 pm

I'm sorry you are going through this.

The discussion that took place regarding your performance should not have happened like that. If I were you, I would talk to HR about it.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu May 10, 2018 4:20 am

I am so sorry, as a fellow Meezer lover, I understand that hole. And to lose two of your pets at once--what a blow.

And your boss is a dickhead.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu May 10, 2018 1:55 pm

I'm so sorry for your losses.

I hope a better work opportunity arises soon.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu May 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Oh Chancellor, I'm so sorry. To lose our critters is to lose a piece of our hearts. You've had a heck of a year. Sending you peace, strength and comfort.

And a paper plate to cover your face when you just want to hide from the world (or not have your image recorded and posted). ;)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 10, 2018 9:09 pm

echoing the above ^^^ very sorry to hear of your health issues and the loss of your pets. Please keep us posted!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”