Quality of Life ?

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Quality of Life ?

Postby Hayburner » Wed May 09, 2018 1:24 pm

I think the time to make a very hard decision is close.
My brain says - Quality of life is more important to our horses than just life. My heart doesn't always agree with my brain.
I agree with better a day too soon than a day too late.

What do you consider quality of life for your horse(s) ?
When do you say enough is enough - meds are only masking and putting a Band-Aid on the health issues

Thanks !

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Re: Quality of Life ?

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed May 09, 2018 2:18 pm

Ugh! I just went through this. I put my horse down in March, but his was colic due to a tumor, and he was 23, so I didn't really have a choice. I think you really know in your heart when the time is right. I encourage you to listen to your heart. I can tell you that even though it broke my heart to put my horse down, I felt relief that he was not suffering any longer.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. {{Hugs}}

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed May 09, 2018 2:19 pm

Some people believe that eating and drinking indicate a decent quality of life. I don't. Ease of mobility is one of my key factors. The telltale sign to me is the 1,000 yard stare, when the animal just looks into the distance with no joy in its eyes. I've only put one horse down. Bob was getting around just fine until his last 24 hours. He went down once during the day (on a Sunday). We got him up, and while waiting for the vet he went down again. Got him up, and made the final walk. I had prepared myself for months and was positive I made the right decision. I wasn't happy, but I was comfortable knowing he wouldn't ever have to be scared again.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed May 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Back in the old days I would be horrified to hear of a horse put to sleep, but over time and experience I have come to believe a day too early rather than a day too late. That's big coming from me as I am all my horses champion. I know we can not bear for a horse to suffer and as hard as it is you are the only one to decide because he's yours and because you know him best of all, but and this is big it's a hard. sad, wretched thing to do. Because we love them we prepare with the most love and compassion in us and we do our what is required of us. We are left with grief and it becomes our companion, but you can look at yourself and say this was my finest moment.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 09, 2018 3:11 pm

A boarder at our barn recently had to put down her older horse. She knew it was coming, but wished she had down it just a few days sooner.

Horses don't do "time" like we do. They are in the moment.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed May 09, 2018 4:00 pm

I go with gut instinct, which very nearly always agrees with brain.

If all measurable signs point to yes, then the answer is yes. Discount the inexact signs.

My girl made the last few days a trial. I needed a few days to coordinate all the moving parts (vet, neighbor with backhoe, husband to drive me and trailer back to barn), and in the meantime Joy decided to kick up her heels and party. However, she still wasn't eating, and barely drinking. Courting colic is no way to live. It was bittersweet, and a huge relief -- nothing terrible happened under my watch.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 09, 2018 4:25 pm

The way I look at is we take their pain and make it our own.

I can attest to the fact that it is way easier when you have time to prepare, mentally and with the details that it takes to euthanize such a large animal. I've had to do both and have been lucky when the decision has been thrust upon me (lost 2 with leg fractures, irreparable) that the vet was here quickly and had them buried the same day, within hours. It does not always go that way.

The ones I have made the decision on that were based on QOL, I ended up being relieved that I did not have that worry hanging over my head anymore. I was always concerned something catastrophic would happen because of their infirmaries (horrible DJD leading to narcolepsy and falling while asleep) and to not to have to worry over that anymore was such a relief.

Hard decision to have to make, but is the responsibility we take on in our care of our animals.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Wed May 09, 2018 6:46 pm

I'm crying for you already because it's hard and it hurts. But it is far far better to make the choice for them and help them to relief and release. I watched my neighbor wait too long with two of hers and that was far far worse.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 10, 2018 2:00 am

I have three considerations.

First, a natural death is one where the predator ends the life of the animal that cannot keep up. It is not a lingering long term sinking into more gradual failure.

Secondly, catastrophic death is frightening. If you can ease their death before the catastrophe, it's a kindness.

And third, a kind gentle death serums to be deserved for all the joy they brought me.

So I weigh those three thoughts against their quality of life.

It's still not an easy decision.

My sympathy to you.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu May 10, 2018 3:02 am

The day it truly becomes easy to make the decision to euthanize we need to all get out of caring for pets. The decision to do so may be straightforward or 'easy' to rationalize but having to make the choice should never be welcomed. QOL, what is it? This is such an intriguing yet ironic question for me. First, I was part of the veterinary team that got the FDA to accept our proposal of measurement of QOL for the purpose of drug approval. We developed a questionnaire of 25 questions that were measurable on a repeated basis with a 'quasi' objective measurement system to determine when QOL was affected by cognitive dysfunction since there are no blood tests or x-rays or other diagnostic modality to determine its presence and how it affects life. Second, I have a father with advancing dementia and declining health. QOL has become a focus of life for me. I think QOL is an independent qualifier, meaning there is no ONE measuring stick and only those who know and knew the subject in both declining and in good health can really determine and define the parameters. For me, I look at the demeanor, the daily activities, the interest in things that always seemed important to the subject when in good health or always promised a reaction as well as what the reaction is to the same stimulus today. I also observe and listen to the subject - does it hurt 'me' to see them move? do they have an interest in the world around them? do they seem to demonstrate anxiety, panic and/or disinterest despite reasonable measures (treatment) on a regular basis. I too am one who prefers a day too early than a day too late. As a professional I've had to put suffering into terms that are objective and relate to the human context...........we still have the ability in veterinary medicine to give the gift of ending suffering permanently. I do my best to assess what the average day is like in the terms of pain/suffering/confusion/detachment of any/every pet. When any or any combination of those outweigh the goal of living each day free of pain/suffering/confusion/detachment....I know it's time.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu May 10, 2018 3:45 am

I've lost three horses in the last 10 years. One was due to a pasture injury, the other two were catastrophic colics. One of the colics was a severely debilitated rescue horse and when he colicked it was no surprise. He survived the first bout, but went into afib during the second one and I had the vet put him down. The other colic was my beloved OTTB, who was bursting with health in the AM, colicked at 10PM and was put down the following morning. The pasture injury was my Deuxdle. He was in the field and got scared by some dogs. He bolted, overreached and split both his flexor tendons. We tried rehabbing him for 3 plus years. He was never better than 5/10 lame. Most of the time he was 8/10 lame. I had gotten the swine flu over Christmas and was home during the day when I normally wasn't. I got to see how poorly he fared during the day. He was literally propping himself up against the barn to take weight off his limb. His quality of life just sucked. He hurt all the time and just wasn't getting better. We had already discussed the end of life decision, and when I heard we were going to be hit by massive flooding I called it. I didn't want him to go through that in his condition.

I guess my point is that it's never an easy decision. Whether it's an urgent decision like a colic or broken leg or having to put a horse down
that's gone through too much it isn't easy. My vet always said that if you're truly thinking "is it time"? it probably is.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu May 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks for the responses - my vet came out and feels it's not as bad as I thought - but, with no heat, no swelling finding the exact lameness reason isn't simple.
We casually talked QOL - depending on how well or how quick he recovers will determine what I need or don't need to do at this time.

He's 31 - so I want whatever time we have left to be as good as the 19 years I've owned him. He knows I love him to the moon and back.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”