Riding in southern Spain

Mirabella
Greenie

Riding in southern Spain

Postby Mirabella » Fri May 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi - I will be able to have a free afternoon to ride in southern Spain near Seveille. Has anyone visited this area and gone riding? This is the area for the Andalusians so I would love to be able to ride one of this breed. My riding skills are very low so this would just be pleasure.
Thanks for any info!

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Riding in southern Spain

Postby piedmontfields » Fri May 18, 2018 2:19 pm

I don't have any stable info, but I will mention that Spanish horses are *everywhere* in the central (old town) area of Seville, so you'll have plenty of horsey sightings even if you don't ride.

Maria Luisa Park is especially lovely for walking, carriage rides, and spotting good looking police officers on lovely horses!

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 pm

I rode at Epona which is about 1- 1 1/2 hours from Seveille. There are wonderful! A couple of friends and I spent a week riding dressage there but they also do trail rides.

http://www.eponaspain.com

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon May 21, 2018 4:21 pm

I would so love to go to Epona ! After you posted, I checked out the site and my interest really spiked!

Then I checked flights and it said 13 hours ! OMG - I can't imagine a trip taking that long....

Khall - did you stay a week? How long did it take you to get there? The site commented on the weather being sooo hot and there were a lot of flies, did you go when it was super hot? Was it buggy?

Wendy Murdoch has a trip to Costa Rica and it also sounds great - but, it was a long flight -I think 6 hrs and then 3 hr drive to the ranch. your arrival and departure days really had nothing going on and for the price and travel time, I nixed going.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon May 21, 2018 5:36 pm

In 1989 I rode in southern Spain for two weeks. The horses (Andalusians) and farm was a glorified dude-ranch, but after the staff realized I could really ride, they let me help with the stallions a couple times and that was REALLY fun. I went in late November and except for torrential rains one five day period, the temperatures were great. It will be HOT in the summer.

khall

Postby khall » Tue May 22, 2018 11:43 am

Hayburner yes we stayed the week, did the intensive dressage lessons, LOVED IT! We went late May last year. Was just getting warm (they have a covered to ride under) by the end of the week. I live in hot muggy GA so used to the hot weather. Yes there were flies, but nothing bothered us. Just had to knock some off the horses. The horses are wonderful there:)

Flight was 9-10 hours I believe. We landed and stayed in Madrid (MUCH cheaper to fly to Madrid than to fly to Seveille) stayed overnight in a hotel then took the high speed train to Seveille. Train was very nice and about 2 hours. They pick you up at train station and take you to your hotel in Carmona, lovely OLD town that we thoroughly enjoyed. Fabulous food every day (lunch at Epona), wine with lunch:) I got along very well with the main trainer there Vivi, one of my friends struggled with her. It helps that I can shut up and ride, follow instructions well. My friend not so much. You also get a half day at the Royal School of Andalusia and go to dinner with evening show.

Our next horsey trip we want to go to Portugal and ride at the Valenca's stables. Similar itinerary to Epona.

Mirabella
Greenie

Postby Mirabella » Tue May 22, 2018 7:46 pm

I will be staying in Carmona so I guess I will be riding at Epona. My dressage skills are gone since I have not ridden in years but will enjoy riding for fun on fabulous horses anyway. I live in the South so hot weather is not a big issue.
Thanks for the information.

khall

Postby khall » Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 pm

Mirabella you will love both Epona and Carmona. I cannot speak to the trail riding because I did not do any, but I know the horses were just lovely that I rode for the dressage portion. I rode 3 stallions and one gelding, all were very well behaved and had some lovely work in them. The gelding was my favorite though! He was such a sensitive ride which is what I adore but such a good boy.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Thu May 24, 2018 11:00 pm

I'm still keen to go to Epona. A trip to Spain hasn't worked timewise for us but next year might be better. It's about a 36 hour flight from NZ on Emirates so very tiring....

For my sins I get to go to WEG this year, I would have rather gone to Spain for more classical tuition but that's life isn't it.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”