Credit Score

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Credit Score

Postby musical comedy » Sat May 19, 2018 4:16 pm

As many of you probably know, a lot of the credit card companies are now providing your free credit score. What I find interesting is my case. I pride myself on having super credit. I have zero credit card balance, no car loan, and we owe 12k on the mortgage which will be paid off at the end of this year. I have no late payments. Nothing derogatory. All categories are A+ except they give me an A- because I don't have a 'mix' of different creditors. Now here's the kicker. My score has dropped a few points over the year. I have no idea why. I really don't care, because I'm not planning on applying for credit. It's just puzzling to me. My score is 833 and it has been a couple points close to the 850 max. I think I had 848 at one point.

goneriding
Herd Member

Re: Credit Score

Postby goneriding » Sat May 19, 2018 4:56 pm

It might be related to utilization of credit? Or maybe they tweaked their algorithm? Mine moves up and down a bit for no discernable reason too. I have the impression it's better to use and pay the credit you have than not use it, in terms of credit score, so maybe you just aren't using your credit card enough for their taste.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat May 19, 2018 8:51 pm

Yes. Discover give their cardholders a report every month. It varies a few points according to the most stupid reasons.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri May 25, 2018 11:33 am

I work a lot with credit reports in my job. I can't tell you exactly what goes into calculating your credit score, but I can tell you a few things.

Do not be at all concerned if your score fluctuates but is still over 800. Even if you were applying for credit, having a score over 800 is excellent credit and they don't care whether it's 820 or 840. Companies usually go by credit tiers (a range) so if you would fall in the top range.

It is better to have open credit lines (credit cards) and not use them than to close the ones you don't use. A few of the factors that go into your score is available credit limit, and total balance due. So even if you never maxed out your cards, you have the potential to do so. The credit bureaus take this into account.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”