Medical alert pendants

texsuze
500 post plus club

Medical alert pendants

Postby texsuze » Wed May 23, 2018 4:35 pm

You know, those "I've fallen and I can't get up" alert devices which are typically worn on a lanyard? I'm researching the various types for my mom. Her neighbor fell in her home recently and was unresponsive. Long story, neighbor is back home recovering but the scenario prompted me to investigate these devices on my 86 y.o. mom's behalf.

Initially, I'd want mom to wear an alert that can detect a fall and send for help without mom having to push the button herself, i.e. if she collapsed and was unconscious. Mom doesn't use a smart phone and I'm pretty sure there is no wi-fi around, so that may come into play.

Any experience with these type of alert systems? Any pros or cons from those who know more about them? There are quite a few companies with a variety of monthly costs, so lots to look at. I'm trying to strike while the iron is hot, which means, before mom can say "no"! 8-)

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Medical alert pendants

Postby Hayburner » Wed May 23, 2018 4:59 pm

My sister just ordered one for my mom - I don't have all the details from her yet. She said it was $500 for the year. It is supposed to come late this week. It includes a lock box outside of your home for a key to get in with a code.

I'll let you know the name etc when I see it, hopefully over the weekend

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed May 23, 2018 5:25 pm

In addition to these life alert products - keep a list handy of any medications/dose the person is taking and medical hx. Several years ago, my elderly Mom was having lunch at the local mall food court with her friends when she suffered a TIA. When I went to the ER as I was called as her contact - I only could provide basic medication information which would have been more helpful if I had specific details. So have your parent share that information with you and keep it updated. I asked my Mom to carry this list in her purse - however, she may not listen to me. :roll:

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Wed May 23, 2018 5:31 pm

The key is a great idea!

My FIL had a stroke a year ago and was at home with my MIL who had dementia. He was unresponsive and she didn't understand what happened and didn't know how to use the phone. As far as we can piece the story together, he regained consciousness about 24 hours later and DROVE himself and MIL to the emergency room! He was partially paralyzed and nonverbal when he arrived. He is now in a nursing home, he lost the use of one side of his body and the language center of his brain. His quality of life isn't great and is very frustrating for him, and he is otherwise quite healthy, doing much better with regular meals and social connection than he was doing at home. He could live like this for years. It's hard to know "what if" but we suspect if he'd received treatment in the critical period after the stroke his outcome may have been very different.

If your mom starts to waver, there's some more ammo for you.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 pm

The key is a great idea. I'm 60 and live alone. I've often thought about getting a device alert. Accidents can happen, even to us young 'uns.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”