The Casual Impossible Horse Hunt: August update

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

The Casual Impossible Horse Hunt: August update

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri May 25, 2018 1:45 pm

UDBB,

I'd like to tap the power of this board for a horse hunt. My current mare is 12 and is going well, so there's no immediate urgency (i.e. I can look at unstarted and/or young horses), which is good because my wish list is ridiculous.

True confessions time: I have always wanted a palomino. More specifically, a rich dark palomino. Bonus points for socks, but not necessarily required.

I'm looking for something that's got a decent brain, 3 good (capable of scoring 7+) gaits, preferably larger than 14.2 but smaller than 17h, and under $15k. Eventual goal is going up the levels in dressage (I have experience training through GP, albeit just the once). Reality check time: can I get the color, gaits, brain, and size that I want for my budget?

Thanks!
Last edited by Ponichiwa on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snork
Herd Member

Re: The Casual Impossible Horse Hunt

Postby Snork » Fri May 25, 2018 3:43 pm

Depending on how you define "decent brain" I'm sure you can get what you want relatively easily in a baby if you look at the Spanish horses. Palomino is not common as dirt but accessible enough in those breeds. If I remember correctly, a horse that is a bit hot isn't an inherent problem for you. Spanish horses are generally considered sensible enough (with exceptions, obviously, but in general), quite likely to be over 14.2 and would be very unusual to be over 17, and you can sort of guess at the quality of the movement if you look at a foal. In the interests of full disclosure, I had a lusitano and although he didn't do anything wrong, I never could get along with him. Just not my type of a horse, add an overbearing trainer into the mix and the relationship deteriorated into mutual resentment of epic proportions. But I tried an Andalusian mare that my then trainer wouldn't let me buy because she didn't quite have the gaits, and she was such a sweetheart. Also in the interests of full disclosure, my former geldings new owner adores him and probably thinks I'm crazy.

Palomino warmbloods are rarer than hens teeth (although they do exist) and once you add palomino + gaits + warmblood, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a raving lunatic for under 15K.

Lots of palomino quarter horse types around. You'd have to look at each one individually for the gaits, brain and whether big enough but I'm sure one could be found. Eventually. But they are popular and every little girl wants a palomino, so the demand is there too. You'd have to look for someone who doesn't know what they've got which means you'd have to have the patience to traipse through many a muddy barb wire fence paddock and look at a bunch of poor broken down things before you find your prince (princess) that satisfies all of the requirements. The likelihood of being naturally built for the GP is higher with the Spanish horses but GP QH are hardly unheard of.

Maybe look at the FB group for Saddlebred dressage horses? They certainly come in palomino and the right saddlebred is a thing of beauty and a saddlebred show flunk-out type, a nice potential dressage horse, could be had for under 15K. Contrary to the popular opinion, most saddlebreds are sensible, sweet horses who will try their heart out for you.

Haflinger? They're all sort of palomino and there are some nice sporty ones out there nowadays. If you like that Thellwell pony look (I do!) this could be fun, and many of them have good brains and did I mention squee-worthy cuteness?

GRP? They used to be cheaper because they are smaller but I think the market is catching up. Might be a stretch to find something really nice for under 15K.

In short, I'm sure you can find one but it probably won't be beautifully started 16 hand 4 year old palomino warmblood of national quality ready to show training level.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Fri May 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Love that you are putting out there what you want! From my friend's recent pony quest (she is getting the nice pony from Houston! :D :D ), I can say that it is truly worth knowing what you want and want you will not accept. In her case, she vetted a number of awfully nice looking, trained but expensive ponies, but ended up with a solid citizen who is greener than she wanted but *sound* and very willing. He was also a bargain.

I just saw an Isabella (pale Palomino) Lusitano mare advertised for a modest amount. In the schooling 2nd/3rd vicinity but without a rider of your skills. I think she is 15.2. I believe this was on the Andalusian/Lusitano Marketplace FB site...(not that I'm shopping but...you know...). There was also a part-bred 15.3 Lusitano x palomino mare on that site. Greener...

I do think going for a PRE/PSL is a nice way to get color and a pretty nice horse!

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 25, 2018 5:10 pm

Yep my vote would be for an Iberian, but a good ASB is also a nice choice and don't forget the Morgans! They come in the golden color. I would do an Azteca in a heart beat. Love the Iberian crosses. Might want to search for Saphiro offspring since he is a cremello and would be putting single dilutes on the ground depending on what he is bred to.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri May 25, 2018 6:01 pm

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri May 25, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback, all!

If I had to describe my goals for my next (and current, really) horse in one blurb, it'd be: Competitive at 3rd and above in local/regional shows, but not necessarily world-beating at TL/1st. So I need 3 clean, workable gaits that can be made expressive and powerful with training but that don't necessarily come out of the womb with all the wow in the world.

I am particularly picky about the canter given that there's a huge emphasis on canter work up the levels. So long as the trot is regular and can be sculpted into some suspension, that's really all I need.

I've never actually ridden any of the Iberian breeds, so I'm wary of buying a baby and later on learning it's not actually my cup of tea. That said, my mom bred her QH mare to a Lusitano last year and the foal is due any day... so maybe I'll get a different impression once I meet one up-close-and-personal.

Snork-- my current mare is a GRP. She was a free Craigslist find as an unstarted (although I suspect not for the lack of trying) 3yo. The market for the GRPs has really heated up in the intervening 8 years, though, and the foals are starting to demand "real horse" prices, which makes me a bit wary.

Haflingers aren't the right fit, unfortunately. Too much hair for the TX heat.

Josette-- thanks for the link! I probably should have posted that I'm based in SE TX, and Calgary is a bit of a haul for me. That said, I've actually met and ridden Parcival back in the day when I was a working student for the trainer his owner used (before she moved her horses and biz to Palm Beach). Small world.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Fri May 25, 2018 7:36 pm

Avalon Equine have a stallion (Goldmaker) that throws palomino. You could look into doing a custom breeding with a dressage bred mare.

http://www.avalon-equine.com/goldmaker.html

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Fri May 25, 2018 7:39 pm

They have a 2016 palomino colt for sale right now

http://www.avalon-equine.com/gelato-davalon.html

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri May 25, 2018 7:46 pm

tlkidding wrote:They have a 2016 palomino colt for sale right now

http://www.avalon-equine.com/gelato-davalon.html

This guy is adorable. Thanks!

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 25, 2018 7:57 pm

ponichiwa can you find someone who has Iberian school horses and go ride? I would think TX has a few around. I totally fell in love with them riding them in Spain. Of course I have my filly as well. She has been very different to raise than my WBs have been. She thinks much more than the WBs do. I think you would like them.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat May 26, 2018 1:53 am

Check out Marta Renilla, she's in Texas and I see many PRE horses as wee as, other breeds on her Facebook page. She may be able to locate what your looking for or steer you to someone.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat May 26, 2018 5:04 am

Ponichiwa wrote:UDBB,

I'd like to tap the power of this board for a horse hunt. My current mare is 12 and is going well, so there's no immediate urgency (i.e. I can look at unstarted and/or young horses), which is good because my wish list is ridiculous.

True confessions time: I have always wanted a palomino. More specifically, a rich dark palomino. Bonus points for socks, but not necessarily required.

I'm looking for something that's got a decent brain, 3 good (capable of scoring 7+) gaits, preferably larger than 14.2 but smaller than 17h, and under $15k. Eventual goal is going up the levels in dressage (I have experience training through GP, albeit just the once). Reality check time: can I get the color, gaits, brain, and size that I want for my budget?

Thanks!

I know of an absolutely gorgeous palomino mare in the UK by Treliver Decanter (DiMaggio). She's 4 and I am positive you could get her to the US including shipping for 15K. PM me if interested.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat May 26, 2018 11:16 am

Ponichiwa, you knew that if you posted this, we would all try to enable you!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat May 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Throwing this out there, just for conversation, of course:

https://austin.craigslist.org/grd/d/3-y ... 04768.html

Oops, found another one.....

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/grd/d ... 43240.html

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:06 am

How about a Morgan? Mine is a palomino going grey but there are plenty of palominos. I know a great breeder in CT who has a palomino stallion. My Morgan is on the hotter side, seems to love dressage and great work ethic.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Sun May 27, 2018 3:12 pm

LOL, I am also on an impossible horse hunt.

Except I want another GP prospect that can also work a cow.

If you want a yellow horse, there are good uphill QHs (maybe not with 8-9 gaits per se but adequate and that have the heart to work themselves to death for you), that would fit the rest of your criteria. You have to look at cow horse bloodlines - not western pleasure, not English, and be cautious about straight reiners - but the cow bloodlines which are more uphill, are bred to canter and sit down in the back.

If you’re in Texas you have lots around you, but I can tell you the market is incredibly strong for cow horses right now so it would take shopping.

You could get a good one at a cow horse or cutting horse sale, Ive seen quality weanlings or yearlings go for less than $15k.

gee
Greenie

Postby gee » Sun May 27, 2018 9:01 pm

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun May 27, 2018 10:04 pm

My friend got a new forest pony that's a nice palomino

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:23 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:I'm looking for something that's got a decent brain, 3 good (capable of scoring 7+) gaits, preferably larger than 14.2 but smaller than 17h, and under $15k. Eventual goal is going up the levels in dressage (I have experience training through GP, albeit just the once). Reality check time: can I get the color, gaits, brain, and size that I want for my budget?

Are you o.k. looking at a horse being ridden in a different riding style?...and how open are you to doing a little bit of retraining? (mostly involving developing dressage-type contact).
REALLY nice moving 2010 mare, 15.3h, has been ridden in lessons, Academy and Country pleasure (ie. kids), w/t/c, the ad says asking 10K or best offer.
Reality check: If you have the patience and skill to teach this mare correct contact and to come over her back more (she actually uses her hind end fairly well despite the head set), she would be a beautiful dressage horse.
Video in light plates (translation...basically regular shoes, this motion is natural).

https://youtu.be/xsLfMollCBw
More info here:
https://www.keithequestriancenter.com/horses-for-sale

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 28, 2018 8:39 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKp ... iZ2YR3B58A

She might make a nice dressage horse. And she’s in Texas.

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Tue May 29, 2018 3:46 am

demi wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKp8lce5Bdw784ZCwfO967aGcm6LxUODqfFafHD4VV5ZhVEO9otOKvdC0Fj3tc1J0401Z-3SwlY7u6ylVAijn0WI5EN96g&v=giZ2YR3B58A

She might make a nice dressage horse. And she’s in Texas.

Oh she’s wonderful! Is she freeing out though? Seems like kind of a bummer.

I want the import mentioned above too. Ok, I want them all, lol. Glad this is not my horse search!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue May 29, 2018 4:05 pm

Not at all what you are looking for, but dang, the price is sooo tempting. Lucky for me, dh and ds would probably disown me if I bought her. lol

https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/grd/d/ ... 24445.html

Here's one that's closer to what you're after however. She is also only about 60 miles from my home, if you want me to check her out (60 miles is close by in Idaho).

https://youtu.be/UUvzjxRboUc

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue May 29, 2018 6:29 pm

Thanks for the tips and links, all! For now, I'm keeping the hunt to 6yo and younger.

Kelo wrote:LOL, I am also on an impossible horse hunt.

Except I want another GP prospect that can also work a cow.

If you want a yellow horse, there are good uphill QHs (maybe not with 8-9 gaits per se but adequate and that have the heart to work themselves to death for you), that would fit the rest of your criteria. You have to look at cow horse bloodlines - not western pleasure, not English, and be cautious about straight reiners - but the cow bloodlines which are more uphill, are bred to canter and sit down in the back.

If you’re in Texas you have lots around you, but I can tell you the market is incredibly strong for cow horses right now so it would take shopping.

You could get a good one at a cow horse or cutting horse sale, Ive seen quality weanlings or yearlings go for less than $15k.

Good luck out there, Kelo!

Over on the east side of the state, the QH landscape is skewed more towards the racing/barrel-horse type or WP/breed show type than towards working stock, unfortunately. I'm willing to turn over a few stones but those stones have to be relatively (~3hrs or so) nearby. Willing to travel further for a more likely prospect, which usually means $$.

Related news, may be setting up an appointment to go see this young lady:
https://houston.craigslist.org/grd/d/pa ... 66328.html

Not the highest odds of working out as the dressage prospect of my dreams, but she's close enough to make it worth my time to check. Right?

redsoxluvr wrote:I know of an absolutely gorgeous palomino mare in the UK by Treliver Decanter (DiMaggio). She's 4 and I am positive you could get her to the US including shipping for 15K. PM me if interested.

How is this even possible?? Witchcraft, I say! I saw the foal that Rolling Stone Hanoverians had by him a couple years ago and was pretty intrigued-- he's a good-looking, good-moving guy, and his get seem to have decent minds.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:56 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:
Related news, may be setting up an appointment to go see this young lady:
https://houston.craigslist.org/grd/d/pa ... 66328.html

Not the highest odds of working out as the dressage prospect of my dreams, but she's close enough to make it worth my time to check. Right?

She's cute! Definitely worth a look.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed May 30, 2018 2:50 am

Sue B wrote:Not at all what you are looking for, but dang, the price is sooo tempting. Lucky for me, dh and ds would probably disown me if I bought her. lol

https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/grd/d/ ... 24445.html

Oh, why did you post that Sue? I’ve seen her on DreamHorse and am intrigued. I’m headed to Challis this week and the thought of taking a detour to Salmon crossed my mind, but I still haven’t made a decision on Miss Pickle.

Ponichiwa - another out of the box suggestion, but there is a rather handsome dun/black points QH/Saddlebred cross 3 yo gelding near me that I nearly went to see a couple weeks ago. He sounds a tad spoiled, but nothing you couldn’t handle. Purportedly 16.1 and just $2K obo. Seller sounded lovely and just doesn’t have time and is looking for a good home for him.

A cute “about 17H” QH gelding popped up on my FB feed today too, for only $3K. When I was looking last year I couldn’t find a damn thing over 16H and under 10 in my price range.
Keep calm and canter on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:20 am

Ponichiwa wrote:Thanks for the tips and links, all! For now, I'm keeping the hunt to 6yo and younger.

redsoxluvr wrote:I know of an absolutely gorgeous palomino mare in the UK by Treliver Decanter (DiMaggio). She's 4 and I am positive you could get her to the US including shipping for 15K. PM me if interested.

How is this even possible?? Witchcraft, I say! I saw the foal that Rolling Stone Hanoverians had by him a couple years ago and was pretty intrigued-- he's a good-looking, good-moving guy, and his get seem to have decent minds.

If you are genuinely interested, I'd be happy to make the information available to you. Just PM me.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:27 am

StraightForward wrote:
Sue B wrote:Not at all what you are looking for, but dang, the price is sooo tempting. Lucky for me, dh and ds would probably disown me if I bought her. lol

A cute “about 17H” QH gelding popped up on my FB feed today too, for only $3K. When I was looking last year I couldn’t find a damn thing over 16H and under 10 in my price range.

I took on a cute, over 17H (closer to 18H) AQHA gelding a couple of years ago. I do not recommend trying to make an AQHA show horse a dressage horse. I am sure there are success stories, but this horse has been hands down the biggest project I never wanted. He has been ten times harder than anything I have ever taken on before. I am sure he spent the majority of his life (before me) getting his ass kicked by cowboys. He is so damaged mentally that I have considered euthanasia more than once. He's getting better, but I don't know many people that would put up with the crap this horse dishes out. I have probably spent 10K in lessons and training from a really, really experienced young horse trainer trying to get this horse going. His only saving grace is that he can be a good boy, and he gets along with my advanced horse really well.

As always, your mileage may vary.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:41 am

redsoxluvr wrote:
StraightForward wrote:

I took on a cute, over 17H (closer to 18H) AQHA gelding a couple of years ago. I do not recommend trying to make an AQHA show horse a dressage horse. I am sure there are success stories, but this horse has been hands down the biggest project I never wanted. He has been ten times harder than anything I have ever taken on before. I am sure he spent the majority of his life (before me) getting his ass kicked by cowboys. He is so damaged mentally that I have considered euthanasia more than once. He's getting better, but I don't know many people that would put up with the crap this horse dishes out. I have probably spent 10K in lessons and training from a really, really experienced young horse trainer trying to get this horse going. His only saving grace is that he can be a good boy, and he gets along with my advanced horse really well.

As always, your mileage may vary.

It sounds like this horse has just been dinked around on, owned by a teenager possibly dabbling in barrels, definitely not specifically WP trained. I've been around plenty of WP and I quickly pass on any horses that are shown peanut rolling and doing a dinky jog and lame 4-beat lope. If they aren't permanently lamed from that, it's still too much work to teach them to come up and move forward.

Sorry your guy had such a tough go of it before you got him. :(
Keep calm and canter on.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:54 pm

Any quarter horse people willing to help me out with some bloodlines? There’s a nearby breeder who has a couple potential prospects for sale— Mr San Peppy/Dual Blue Boon bloodlines. Looks like cutting breeding to me. Any experience turning cutters (unbacked) into dressage horses?

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Ponichiwa, if you are looking at QHs make sure they have the 5 panel DNA testing done. I have no idea on bloodlines, cutters tend to be small.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:09 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Any quarter horse people willing to help me out with some bloodlines? There’s a nearby breeder who has a couple potential prospects for sale— Mr San Peppy/Dual Blue Boon bloodlines. Looks like cutting breeding to me. Any experience turning cutters (unbacked) into dressage horses?

Ok, this is JUST ONE sample so it may not be indicative of anything. My vet has a San Peppy gelding that was given to her because he was hard to handle. Strong willed, athletic, and self-confident. She got him as a 3 yr old. I went on a trail ride with her when he was 7 and she still had to continually remind him that she wasn’t going to stand for anything less than obedience. He’s in his 20’s now and he never turned out to be an enjoyable trail partner for her.

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:37 am

Ponichiwa wrote:Any quarter horse people willing to help me out with some bloodlines? There’s a nearby breeder who has a couple potential prospects for sale— Mr San Peppy/Dual Blue Boon bloodlines. Looks like cutting breeding to me. Any experience turning cutters (unbacked) into dressage horses?

This is my Poco Bueno/Hancock/Doc Bar bred mare. Super nice gaits. She is about 16 hands tall. This was our first show so she was still moving a bit downhill but improved nicely. She was a little on the nervous side for a QH but not a mean bone in her body.

A lot of the newer cutters are very short. I would look for something more Foundation bred like my mare.
Attachments
20140518_105612 (640x480).jpg
20140518_105612 (640x480).jpg (171.78 KiB) Viewed 22168 times
PJsfirstdressageshow (2).jpg
PJsfirstdressageshow (2).jpg (119.45 KiB) Viewed 22168 times

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:49 am

https://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-1156932

Here is a foundation bred filly. Now you've got me shopping lol. Not in TX but add "foundation" to your QH search and I think you'll find more of what you are looking for.

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:59 am

Check out Shane on this site. http://www.4ropinranch.com/horses_for_sale.htm#Shane
I didn't even look at location but you can look through some of these horses to get an idea of the conformation, movement and names of the foundation QH to see if it would be something that suits your needs.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:31 am

Jan & PJ wrote:Check out Shane on this site. http://www.4ropinranch.com/horses_for_sale.htm#Shane
I didn't even look at location but you can look through some of these horses to get an idea of the conformation, movement and names of the foundation QH to see if it would be something that suits your needs.

That horse you linked.to is Driftwood bred. I showed and trained a Drifts Chip stallion when I was in college and he was wonderful. He passed on a great temperament. It piques my interest when I see one for sale.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Doc bar too is a wonderful line. I used to own one, he was idaho's 2nd lvl of the year horse and went on to be a much loved pony club horse in Ca. A TD I knew told me he was still competing in his late 20's and passed away in his 30's, even though he was grey! Somehow he never got that nasty melanoma greys get. He had a lovely springy/floaty trot and cantered like a good TB and would jump anything. I wish I had digital pictures of him, especially of him jumping cross country.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:17 pm

StraightForward wrote:
It sounds like this horse has just been dinked around on, owned by a teenager possibly dabbling in barrels, definitely not specifically WP trained. I've been around plenty of WP and I quickly pass on any horses that are shown peanut rolling and doing a dinky jog and lame 4-beat lope. If they aren't permanently lamed from that, it's still too much work to teach them to come up and move forward.

Sorry your guy had such a tough go of it before you got him. :(

He definitely was trained as a HUS horse as he has a few AQHA points. I didn't see any WP points but he could have been shown and not pointed.
I can't imagine what this poor horse went through, because truthfully he can be quite charming and willing. He is by The Only Escape, so he is Invitation Only bred so it's not like he is some backwoods hick. I am sure he was quite expensive as a baby as he is stunning. He is a huge mover, so I think they cranked and spanked on him so much to slow him down for AQHA that he is terrified to go forward. We're taking it one day at a time, but it's definitely not a process that I would care to repeat.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:24 pm

As you can see. my guy is more of a sporthorse type. Since he has started working correctly, his hunter bump is gone and he has a pretty good topline. This was taken about a year ago.
Attachments
14435192_10207077667515902_6878889927090672204_o.jpg
14435192_10207077667515902_6878889927090672204_o.jpg (232.72 KiB) Viewed 22107 times

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:26 pm

He can be charming, as you can see. He's lost the "hard" eye for the most part, so we are hopeful.
Attachments
13661779_10206638525617629_148041384347062128_o.jpg
13661779_10206638525617629_148041384347062128_o.jpg (177.34 KiB) Viewed 22107 times

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:08 pm

That's a good-looking horse, redsoxluvr! I understand the challenges of retraining, especially from the shut-'er-down type of training. It's hard to get them back from that, but it looks like your guy is doing well.

I went to go see the craigslist quarterhorse, and he's actually pretty darn cute (please excuse the less-than-perfect camera angle):

I haven't looked at yearlings in forever-- anybody spot any major showstoppers?

He's got a decent canter and shoulder is free enough in the trot. Not a warmblood mover but also not a warmblood price point, either. Decisions, decisions.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:19 pm

If you want a GP horse, get a PMU baby... Flynn is on track to do his 100th GP test. Talented AND sound. :-)

https://www.dressagetalk.com/single-pos ... Grand-Prix

demi

Postby demi » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:02 pm

https://austin.craigslist.org/grd/d/4-y ... 99483.html

Not yellow, but colored. Not cheap, but not WB expensive. Only 4 and he looks athletic. He’s in Texas although not close to you. Seller has videos so it might be worth just having a look at them. Some QH’s are very attractive movers.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Ponichiwa, hit me up via PM. I can help you out. :D

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:35 pm

Regarding the palomino mare Redsox mentioned, I wonder if this is it. This one is around 5k usd. I don't know what shipping is for a mare from UK. It's around 10k to new york counting quarantine.

https://sporthorse-data.com/classifieds ... e-prospect

The other prospects on this thread are yucky.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:45 pm

That's definitely the risk of a lower budget. Because of that, I'd rather not import; it's much easier to weed out prospects in person!

I really wish this mare was palomino, because I've liked all the Benidetto offspring I've seen (from afar-- never have actually interacted with any in person). And the dam's side has nothing to sneeze at, either (Hochadel/Lauries Crusador):
https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... serID=9692

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:That's definitely the risk of a lower budget. Because of that, I'd rather not import; it's much easier to weed out prospects in person!

I really wish this mare was palomino, because I've liked all the Benidetto offspring I've seen (from afar-- never have actually interacted with any in person). And the dam's side has nothing to sneeze at, either (Hochadel/Lauries Crusador):
https://www.warmblood-sales.com/HorseDe ... serID=9692

Now that's more like it. If a palomino is a necessity, then that's what you want and that's it. I passed on a lot of horses because I won't buy a horse with funky markings and it has to have a nice head, neck, etc. etc. Some things are non-negotiable.

I am anti-importing myself because it like getting what's behind door #3. I need to be able to check out a horse's history and vet the seller/owner.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:09 pm

Ditto - This chestnut filly is a REAL dressage prospect IMO - none of the others. I must say I would not hold color against a horse if it passes all other requirements - plus the price is right.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:28 pm

musical comedy wrote:The other prospects on this thread are yucky.

This is not in reference to the PMU horses so everyone can just calm down!

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:08 pm

How common is palomino in WBs or crosses though? Pretty small sample size I would guess. Definitely more common in the Iberians, but prices are not always cheap for them either. Probably could get a young one for $15,000.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:11 pm

I would pass on QH for FEI prospect, JMO. He is cute though (the pally yearling)

I'm sorry, I am not a draft fan cross, never have been nor will I ever be. They are just not my cup of tea.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”