Boot woes - now boot happiness!

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Boot woes - now boot happiness!

Postby KathyK » Sat May 26, 2018 3:32 pm

On Feb. 8th I ordered custom DeNiro boots for my narrow (AA) feet. They arrived April 7th, and were very wrong, as in waaaaay wide in the foot, so much so that my heel slipped what felt like well over an inch with each step I took. Back to Italy they went, along with emailed photos of my feet.

On May 9th I contacted the owner of the store where I purchased them, asking if she would check their status, and received this reply: "Just did today. They are working on them because they asked if I was sure on the foot size (yes, we tried 39 and it was short and the issue is in width not length). They thanked me for the pictures of your feet." So it appears that during that month, nothing was done.

As the first week of June approaches, I'm wondering just how long I'm supposed to wait for these boots to come back. Am I unreasonable in feeling that there's a time limit, after which I want my money (a substantial amount) back? If I'm not being unreasonable, what's the best way to approach her? I can be, as many of you who have known me here over the years are aware, a bit lacking in the tact department :oops: . I don't want to piss anyone off, but I want my boots or I want my money back.

Halp, please.
Last edited by KathyK on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josette

Re: Boot woes

Postby Josette » Sat May 26, 2018 3:53 pm

I purchased the semi-custom DeNiro boots off the SmartPak site. You may contact them and check for comparison what their wait time is for customers. My boots size was in stock so I had no wait - otherwise, I would have had to place an order for boots to be made. So check out their wait time IMO, then you will know if this store is being honest with you.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat May 26, 2018 6:01 pm

The original wait time was six to eight weeks. They arrived in nine weeks, which I didn't have a problem with. I'm not sure how they could tell me what their wait time would be for the specific fix to my customs.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat May 26, 2018 6:27 pm

They may be really busy with show season now. Maybe contact DeNiro direct about your custom order to get a status update. For what it's worth, I love my boots.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat May 26, 2018 8:39 pm

That's an idea. The boots, except for the feet, are gorgeous and fit perfectly.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 26, 2018 9:33 pm

Shipping takes a while

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Sat May 26, 2018 9:42 pm

I had custom Konigs made for me - and it felt like the heel slipped a little, but I solved that by putting in some of those gel heel inserts - that solved the issue.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun May 27, 2018 1:09 am

I'm not asking for advice on how to make ill-fitting boots fit. The shop owner agreed that the last was inappropriate for my foot, and sent them back to DeNiro to be redone. I'm asking for advice on how to approach the shop owner to say "Boots soon, or my money back."

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun May 27, 2018 7:44 pm

The shop owner is caught in the middle, but should be able to harass the manufacturer into at least giving you an idea on timing, and preferably into jumping to it and getting it done.

Be a pleasant, but annoyingly squeaky, wheel, and yeah, maybe if you are doing this via email, read back what you write a couple of times before you send it.

If you used your credit card, a little reminder that you will be forced to take it up with the credit card company by X date (whatever the dispute period is) if you don't receive some kind of satisfaction by then might be in order.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Mon May 28, 2018 12:41 am

Most credit card companies have a time limit as to when you can file a claim.
I would check with your credit card company, then let the seller know that you
will initiate a dispute by x date if you don't get resolution. There is definitely
the complicating factor of being a custom order, but if the foot size was
part of the measurement process, the onus is on the seller to make it right.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon May 28, 2018 2:27 am

I work at a tack shop. There is nothing wrong with saying, "I am sorry you are caught in the middle of this- I know it's not your fault- but if you don't think De Niro can get me my boots by [whatever date you determine is fair] I need to ask for my money back." It might soften the discussion if you explain that you have a competition coming up or some such, but really, you don't owe an explanation as long as you are polite. Use "please" and "thank you" and it will be fine.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 28, 2018 1:43 pm

did the tack shop measure you? if so they are not so much of a middle man as part of the problem. I would definitely ask them to speed up the process

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon May 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Yes, the tack shop owner measured me. She double-checked the measurements after they arrived so wrong, and she had measured correctly. DeNiro didn't pay good attention to the measurements.

I sent her an email asking her to check on the status, and she replied that the boots will be shipped next week. So, progress. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:15 am

I picked up my boots this morning -- they are very, very nice and fit well! I have boots, so now I need a horse. But that's for another thread.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:40 am

Glad you got your boots! There is a virtual horse shopper thread, so maybe put your requirements there and we'll get to work. ;)
Keep calm and canter on.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Re: Boot woes - now boot happiness!

Postby Koolkat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:15 pm

These boots are made for riding!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”