Scotland vacation. Paddock boots or sneakers

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Scotland vacation. Paddock boots or sneakers

Postby PaulaO » Sun May 27, 2018 12:33 pm

We loved Scotland so much last year that we’re going again. I have good walking shoes but am also torn between bringing paddocks or sneakers. Sneakers are more comfortable, but paddocks are water resistant. Which do I bring?

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Re: Scotland vacation. Paddock boots or sneakers

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun May 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Do your sneakers have actual heels in the sole?

If you are riding, IMO, you really, really should ride in shoes with heels :)

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun May 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Totally agree. Wear sneakers on plane and carry paddocks boots - or wise versa which ever takes up less space packing. I assume you will bring a helmet too if riding.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Sun May 27, 2018 3:12 pm

what are you doing?

If you are doing walking/ hiking out in the environment, you need proper hiking shoes/ boots, which should be waterproof as well. I was surprised when trail walking in Yorkshire how much bare stone there was. If your walking shoes are not the kind you would use for trails, reconsider. Waterproof is useless without proper tread

If you are city and town walking, you can probably get way with athletic shoes and walking shoes. I would not worry about waterproof in that situation

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sun May 27, 2018 4:12 pm

What about a shoe that could do both, like Ariat Terrain? or Terrain H20? Can anyone weigh in who has experience with this brand?

I used to have riding sneakers with heels that were fine for getting off and doing short walking stints while trail riding, but cannot remember the brand.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun May 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Canyon wrote:What about a shoe that could do both, like Ariat Terrain? or Terrain H20? Can anyone weigh in who has experience with this brand?

I used to have riding sneakers with heels that were fine for getting off and doing short walking stints while trail riding, but cannot remember the brand.

I basically live in those. They are my everyday barn shoe and I ride in them about 99% of the time (I do have tall boots but I hardly ever use them).

The last three vacations I went on I brought them, although they were horseback riding vacations. There was usually quite a it of walking involved and the Ariats served me very well. Though, on a city trip in the summer I'd use a comfortable pair of sneakers.

Pyrenees (lots of walking):
P1040926.JPG
P1040926.JPG (147.52 KiB) Viewed 7917 times

Rømø, Denmark. Islandics and beach rides, two off the bucket list. Lots of saltwater (and geocaching):
P1090018.JPG
P1090018.JPG (134.92 KiB) Viewed 7917 times

Morocco, Sahara desert (lots of dust and sand):
P1110934.JPG
P1110934.JPG (129.18 KiB) Viewed 7917 times

...and it's still the same pair of shoes ;) (and can only afford one of these trips a year! :D )

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun May 27, 2018 7:26 pm

Sorry I was unclear. We are not riding but walking in the city and on paths.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun May 27, 2018 7:33 pm

PaulaO wrote:Sorry I was unclear. We are not riding but walking in the city and on paths.

Sneakers then. Or whatever works best with the clothes you are planning to bring. :)

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Mon May 28, 2018 12:44 pm

I would not take paddocks, when traveling everything should be as useful and practical as possible.

Footwear should be the best comfort possible for long days

I think your walking shoes are going to be the most all-purpose and sneakers are great for the indoor stuff as well as the flight

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:29 pm

We just got back from doing a British Isles Cruise - France, England, Ireland and Scotland. I'm glad I brought my sneakers. As much walking as we did, I think I would have rubbed blisters in paddock boots. Even on rainy days, my sneakers didn't get that wet. During two of the days I wore my apple watch. It said we did a total of 108 flights of stairs (combined the two days) and on the one day did 21k steps by 4:30. Other days weren't near as bad as those days but glad I had the lighter sneakers.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue May 29, 2018 1:49 am

Sneakers. You're not planning to ride, so there's no need for paddock boots. Unless you really like blisters? Lol.

All I can imagine is the bloody mess my feet would be ... there isn't enough liquid skin or moleskin to fix that!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”