Walter Zettl

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Walter Zettl

Postby Dapple Field » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:47 pm

Walter Zettl died early this morning. Details are on the Walter Zettl Classic Dressage facebook page. Sorry, I don't know how to get it onto this site. May he now ride "Up in heaven" with a young body on his cherished horses.

DJR
500 post plus club

Re: Walter Zettl

Postby DJR » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:33 am

I'm glad someone started this thread. I knew of Walter for years, of course, then was able to ride with him several years ago when I was fairly new on Jet. I also brought my full Percheron that first clinic, wondering if we would be frowned upon because he was a full draft doing dressage. And, I was just nervous to ride in front of such a well respected dressage master. I need not have been. He was gracious, complimentary, demanded I ride well but in a collegial, helpful way, and brought out the best in both of my horses. In fact, he had me doing my first "baby half pass" on my Percheron that weekend!

I also watched years later when Walter guided Eddo during Eddo's first ride back on a horse after his stroke. It was magical, and very special.

I am privileged to have known Walter the three times I had clinics with him. May he rest in peace.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:01 am

I remember your description of that ride, DJR.

He was a true lover of the horse and of education.

RIP, Walter.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:02 am

A good man and an advocate for the horse. He will be greatly missed.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 pm

He will be missed by so many! He had a talent with people and horses that many will never be able to match.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:17 am

This is a great loss to the dressage world.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:15 pm

There was a whole herd of horses waiting to greet Walter at the other side of the rainbow bridge, I imagine.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:06 am

Oh no! I've been worried about this and thinking of him a lot lately. I'm so sad. I rode with him several times and attended clinics even more. Ride on WAZ, ride on!!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:15 am

I didn't know him, meet him or ride with him. So I'll take your word for it. But, Linda Parelli claiming he lives on through her is enough to make me vomit.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Chisamba wrote:I didn't know him, meet him or ride with him. So I'll take your word for it. But, Linda Parelli claiming he lives on through her is enough to make me vomit.

His association with the Parellis happened later in his life. I choose to ignore that aspect (and hope that some of his genuine wisdom rubbed off on them in some small way). The scope & depth of his work with horses far exceeds the literal "blip" he spent in the Parelli sphere.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 pm

DJR wrote:His association with the Parellis happened later in his life. I choose to ignore that aspect (and hope that some of his genuine wisdom rubbed off on them in some small way). The scope & depth of his work with horses far exceeds the literal "blip" he spent in the Parelli sphere.

This is what I am telling myself as well.

My former coach clinic'd with him once, it was a last minute arrangement as Eddo Hoekstra had been at my coach's place teaching just 2 days before the WAZ clinic 7 hours from there was about to start. Eddo called Walter and got her a spot. I am not a fan of Eddo (due to my own personal experience with him), but I thought that was pretty solid that he did that for my coach. My coach's husband was Walter's wife's personal taxi for the weekend. Drove her to Costco, back and forth to the hotel, etc.

Great memories for sure! :)

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:09 pm

I was blessed to attend one of his clinics and watched as a young lady on an appaloosa/draft cross learned to dance. Many of us auditing cried when it happened. He was so patient and without effort...teaching what he loved most.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:53 am

I remember in the 2nd clinic I attended, it was very chilly that morning with frost in the air. Everyone was wearing winter jackets, including Walter. At noon hour, someone brought him another hot chocolate and asked about his welfare as he was in his 80s then. He said, "no, no, I'm not cold at all! I ride EVERY HORSE!"

And it's so true, he rode every horse he instructed from where he sat. He felt what was happening in front of him and rode the horse in front of him from his chair ... and then he communicated it to the rider ... seamlessly.

He was such a joy to watch teach, and even more fun to be taught by.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 am

Saddlebum wrote:I was blessed to attend one of his clinics and watched as a young lady on an appaloosa/draft cross learned to dance. Many of us auditing cried when it happened. He was so patient and without effort...teaching what he loved most.

I was there too! That was so amazing and she and her horse were wonderful!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”