A little update

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

A little update

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Although I've never been all that active, I've been even less so over the last year. Here's what I've been up to, for anyone who may be wondering ( and because for once I have time to post, so I'm posting! lol)

For anyone who may remember, last March-April I made the decision to go back to school. I'd toyed with the idea of Equine Massage but eventually decided to start with people. I found what I think is one of the best schools out there (which also happens to be near me) and since last July I've been working like mad to make a full time job, night classes M-Th, and barn life all balance. A typical week has been m-f 8:30-5 at the office, 6-10pm at school, Saturday off to do things at home/run errands/ sleep, and Sunday I work my full day at the barn to work for Phoenix's board.
A few weeks ago, our class walked for graduation for the certificate program we've been working on. I'm graduating with the academic achievement award for having maintained a GPA of 3.8 and above! I have a week and a half of clinicals left before getting a month off school and then starting my associates in MT starting August 8th.
I also have to send in my paperwork here in the next couple weeks to apply to take the national exam, the MBLEX which will ultimately allow me to get my license.
The associates will go until the end of January, so not a long program but still another 6 months. After that I plan to get continuing education in equine massage ASAP. My goal is to be able to work on both horse and rider and improve their teamwork and effectiveness by addressing both of their musculoskeletal issues as a functional unit. Ie if the rider cant sit straight and the horse ends up compensating for them, the horse is going to develop their own set of muscular issues. I'm hoping to eventually open my own private practice based on this and travel from barn to barn as a mobile therapist.
53CBD14D-7670-4958-B60A-29D46B7CB668.jpeg
53CBD14D-7670-4958-B60A-29D46B7CB668.jpeg (108.32 KiB) Viewed 8238 times

Last year when Phoenix turned 3 I paid for 6 months professional training. She has been a dream to work with and ride, but my schedule has just been to much. For the last 6 months I haven't been able to even think about sitting on her, which I'm really sad about. A couple months ago we moved her to a place with better grass and pasture about 20 minutes further away, and I haven't been able to go see her since. I miss my horse a lot. I keep reminding myself that she's only 4 at this point, and the time off isn't hurting her at all. In fact the bigger and greener pastures have probably been doing her a lot of good. The light at the end of the tunnel is the month off school here in July. She'll be coming back to the barn where I work, and I plan to spend as much time with her as possible and hopefully get back on her again. I think I've also found a skilled enough rider who WANTS to ride her who may help me keep her going while I finish my associates. That's a relief.

Lastly, last September and much to my surprise, I met someone. We were introduced through mutual friends and he is everything I wanted, but never expected to find. My divorce was rough and affected me in more ways than I ever realized. He's been patient, kind, and has allowed me the time to work through things as I need to without pressure or judgement. In a way, he's been teaching me how to allow myself to be loved again, which is a gift I thought I'd never have. Not only that, but he's been a firm support system through this entire process of school, without him I'd have had to give up much more of what I love than I have.

So, that's where I've been and where I'm going... What about you? Catch me up!
Last edited by PhoenixRising on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: A little update

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Great update, and congratulations on everything! And you’re right, the time off to grow and mature will do your mare nothing but good. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:55 pm

I had wondered how you were doing, and of course, how your mare is doing. Yes, going out for a year or even for a few months at four is a great way to let them grow up, and be more mature and ready to work, especially since you had her started before the break.

Congratulations on your certification. I was a human massage therapist back in South Africa and worked in a sports medicine clinic that catered to several teams/ I enjoyed the work tremendously, but when i came to the USA there actually was not a certification system, and most massages were the happy endings kind. Its was really only in the 2000's that board certification became possible.

anyway, it is very rewarding to be able to help some one back to health and to do sports they love. It sounds interesting trying to combine horse and human therapies

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 pm

Congrats! Sounds like a great update :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:45 am

Oh, my. That isn't a "little" update! You sound happy and fulfilled, which is so nice to read!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:58 am

Your "avatar" is perfect!! Keep doin' what you're doin'!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:28 pm

I love it! Your plan of doing human and equine massage will benefit the horse and rider combo. Kudos to,you for sticking it out to do what your heart tells you.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:06 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Chisamba wrote:Congratulations on your certification. I was a human massage therapist back in South Africa and worked in a sports medicine clinic that catered to several teams/ I enjoyed the work tremendously, but when i came to the USA there actually was not a certification system, and most massages were the happy endings kind. Its was really only in the 2000's that board certification became possible.

anyway, it is very rewarding to be able to help some one back to health and to do sports they love. It sounds interesting trying to combine horse and human therapies

Thank you! Yes, I've found now that I'm doing it that I LOVE what I'm going to be doing. It makes me so happy to have clients coming back requesting me, and telling me how much their last massage helped them.
From what I understand, the MT profession has changed rapidly over the last 20 years as far as credibility and public reputation. There's still places to be wary of, but thankfully there are fewer people expecting the happy ending type and more people beginning to appreciate the therapeutic benefits.
Have you ever thought about getting certified again now that there is a process for it?

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Oh, my. That isn't a "little" update! You sound happy and fulfilled, which is so nice to read!

Yeah, I thought it was going to be little when I began typing, and it just kept growing :lol:

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:36 pm

StraightForward wrote:Great update, and congratulations on everything! And you’re right, the time off to grow and mature will do your mare nothing but good. :)

I keep reminding myself that, but man I miss seeing her out there in the pasture every Sunday and at least getting to tell her Hi.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:37 pm

Ryeissa wrote:I'm so happy for you! That's a wonderful update. I am certified in horse massage and love it, although its just a side job for me.

Which are you certified in? I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to make a decision on which equine massage program to start with. There's so many out there.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”