Why I love my barn

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Why I love my barn

Postby PaulaO » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:48 pm

Saturday I cleaned Ariel's buckets and left them in the sun to dry. I went home without putting them back in her stall. Sunday I woke up at 4am and thought "cr@p, I forgot to put her buckets back." One of the guys found them, filled them, and put them in her stall. I'm so thankful that despite there being 100 horses, there is individual and personal care.

piedmontfields

Re: Why I love my barn

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:24 pm

Great barn staff and management are priceless! I know I've left my mare's fly mask out to dry and they have dutifully found it before it is time for her turnout. I try to be an orderly boarder, but we all do these things from time to time.

There are about 30 horses at our farm (some are out 24/7) and we have two full-time staff, plus a manager, trainer and working students who do a little bit of pinch hitting for staff as needed. How many people are needed to run a barn with 100 horses?

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:38 pm

Now that guy deserves a little tip - cookies, lunch, etc. for being so on the ball and caring for the horses.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:02 pm

I will gladly give whoever brought in her buckets a tip! Piedmont, Gabriel (head of maintenance) has a crew of 6 that do stalls, feed, turnout, and keep up the barn. Desk staff work the office (busy lesson/trail riding/camp barn) which is staffed 9-9 weekdays and 9-5 weekends. Trainers pitch in when needed and do trail rides. The BM supervises the day to day operations, as does the BO.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:12 am

They sound well staffed! Paula, if you don't mind, would you pm about your barn location and rates/amenities? Argonne NL keeps circulating as an option in our household....

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:35 am

Piedmont, I sent you a PM

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”