Should I be concerned about turnout with a 5-month-old colt?

onetrickpony
Novice

Should I be concerned about turnout with a 5-month-old colt?

Postby onetrickpony » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:33 pm

My new Haflinger mare is coming to the end of her 10-day quarantine at my barn, and my barn owner plans to turn her out with two mares and a 5-month-old colt. I don't think BO plans on gelding him until the spring. Should I be concerned about this? Due to possible pregnancy, mounting injuries, etc? Might be a totally ignorant question, I don't know. I've never boarded with babies before.

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Should I be concerned about turnout with a 5-month-old colt?

Postby khall » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:59 pm

I'll put it this way, my now 9 yr old at 9 MONTHS old would breed his pasture mate. Don't know if he had any live squigglers but to be safe he was gelded and the filly (2) was lutalyzed. Heck I had a 4 month old colt that would talk with the mares trying to tease them, full erection and all. Having colts can be such a PIA!

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:20 am

It depends on how mature the colt is. Some aren't mature enough to think about mares, until around 8 -12 months old.

I normally try to always keep fillies and colts separated, but sometimes if I have 1 filly and 1 colt foal for the season, they can get paddocks together until around 3-4 months old. After that they are definitely separated.

So yes, I would be worried about putting a 5 months old colt in with a mare. I would in fact not recommend it.

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:24 am

Hoof'n it wrote:It depends on how mature the colt is. Some aren't mature enough to think about mares, until around 8 months old.

Part of my concern is that while the colt is only 5 months old now, he will continue to mature until he's gelded. So a non-issue at present could very well turn into a disaster.

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:33 am

Very true.
I wonder what the barn owner thinks about this? Have you talked to them about this? Surely it's a huge liability for them?

Having colts around mares is not an easy thing to do. All my colts either go to the yearling sales or get gelded. After 4 months of age hits, They live either by themselves, in a group of colts, or with their babysitter (a gelding) until one of the 2 above happen.

The fillies and mares are no where near them.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:47 am

*This* is why I am crossing my fingers for a filly! If I end up with a colt, he'll be getting the chop, and until then will not be able to live with either of the other two mares on site. I wouldn't want a colt in with fillies or mares from 4-ish months of age, either... *filly filly filly

I think the risks are different for your BO, as the colt is obviously with his dam and another babysitter... but all of the horses belong to the same person, yes? Introducing a strange horse into that mix is the first thing to think about. Having your mare in with a potential baby-daddy is the next.

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:20 am

silk wrote:I think the risks are different for your BO, as the colt is obviously with his dam and another babysitter... but all of the horses belong to the same person, yes? Introducing a strange horse into that mix is the first thing to think about. Having your mare in with a potential baby-daddy is the next.

Bolding and underlining mine. YES. That was my other main concern. It's the colt, his dam, and the dam's grown filly (she's 5 or 6, I think). BO doesn't own the filly--sold her to a boarder who has been at the barn forever and is like BO's family. But the mares are huge, 16.3/17+h and big-bodied, compared to my 14.3h mare. I'm concerned that if there's any proprietary drama, my mare will be the one most at risk of getting hurt.

I've relayed my concerns to the BO and requested that my mare be turned out with my pasture ornament mare and another mare. That's the only viable option because the other two turnouts are geldings-only. The two mares are on pasture board, so this will be an inconvenience for my BO as far as bringing Angie (haffie) in and turning out. I hate to be a PITA about it, but I also feel like I need to look out for my horse's best interest. And turning her out with a stud colt and his mama isn't in her best interest.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:29 am

I have seen accidental pregnancies from a colt who was about aa year old... So it could be complicated.

Injuries would also be a concern. I agree with your concerns.

mzloolue
Greenie

Postby mzloolue » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:20 am

Your mare is going to get kicked.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:37 pm

onetrickpony wrote: I hate to be a PITA about it, but I also feel like I need to look out for my horse's best interest. And turning her out with a stud colt and his mama isn't in her best interest.

Who cares about being a PITA. Look out for your mare's best interest. That's your job!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:44 pm

I know nothing about mares and cycles and reproducing so my first thought was OTP's Haffie is going to get the cr@p kicked out of her by the other mares, simply because she is new and the mama will be protective. So don't worry about being a PITA--your mare's safety comes first and I cannot believe the BO would even think of turning out any mares with a colt.

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:01 pm

Not only is OneTricks' mare at risk, but the colt is, too.
If he tries to mount the mare and she is not receptive he could also get kicked.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:16 am

Accidents happen! After buying a 5 year old mare that the breeder stated was never bred and who turned out to be 9 months pregnant, I would NEVER allow her near a colt or stallion again! Yes, her foal is cute and it was an experience for me, but now I have added vet bills, board etc. the breeder did offer to take her back to his farm to have the foal, but how could I be sure one of his stallions or stud colts wouldn't knock her up again! I choose to keep her at a facility where I would not have that risk.
I also know that my mare was extremely protective of her foal, even to the point of chasing geese like a mad hornet out of their pasture. A new horse coming in may not easily be accepted in that herd.

I say : the BO makes other accommodations or more to another facility. You just got this new horse, don't settle for unsafe conditions for her.

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:53 am

BO has agreed to put my new mare with the pasture-boarded mares. We've been communicating via text because we rarely see each other, so we haven't had a chance to talk about it in any great detail. I will see her this weekend.

I do think that it's interesting that she has taken extra precautions to protect her colt by quarantining Angie for 10 days (she shipped on a trailer with two horses who were coming from a horse trials with 500 entries--otherwise, we don't usually quarantine new horses). Yet her plan A for turnout was to put Angie in with him and his mama.

Other people's logic escapes me sometimes.

Valerie
Greenie

Postby Valerie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:38 am

Good solution. My thoughts were why isn't she cutting the colt this fall? Waiting till spring, she is going to have 2 bred mares, one being his mother. Or move the colt to the gelding only turn out. He should be weaned anyway. Then your mare could be properly introduced to the mare herd without the complication of a young stud.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:07 pm

After having to back a horse this year who was left a stallion until he was 6. I cannot understand why people leave horses entire. Being a stallion, even a young one is very stressful on a horse. If he's not going to stay a stallion there is no need. This guy was over 17H and ended up growing a bit after he was gelded, which I have heard is a reason some people do it. I think the added stress on everyone was not worth the little he grew afterwards.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”