Ariel colicked from the heat

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Ariel colicked from the heat

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:10 pm

Many days of heat and humidity finally caught up with Miss A. Got to the barn yesterday around 4. She was in and standing in front of her fan. Hadn't touched her hay. I gave her an alcohol sponge bath. She laid down when I was putting things away, so I got the BM who gave her 10ccs of Banamine and electrolytes. She perked up, but at 6:30 still hadn't passed manure, despite hand walking. I called the vet, who sedated and rehydrated her and pulled a bunch of manure out manually (vet was up to her elbow in A's rectum). I stayed still around 10. BM texted me as I was on my way to the barn at 6:30 this morning saying she passed 3 piles of manure and was looking for food. Vet had said no hay, and a handful of soaked grain, which she gobbled up. She's back to normal and dragged me around the barn and outside. I will go back to the barn this afternoon to check on her.

I plan on giving her electrolytes the rest of the summer.

It wasn't a bad colic. I think she was more dehydrated than anything. She always has access to water, but you know how horses are. Last night she drank a bucket and half while waiting for the vet but clearly she needed more than that.

Mama needs sleep! :lol:

Josette

Re: Ariel colicked from the heat

Postby Josette » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:16 pm

I hate colic - the stress on the horse and owner! Good to see you responded immediately to her stress. Poop monitoring is so critical. Monitor her water intake and give electrolytes as directed by the vet. Don't over do it thinking more is better - let your vet determine how much and often IMO. Glad to hear she responded well and quickly!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Whew! Keeping tabs on these critters is a full-time job and then some. Glad you were there to put wheels in motion. Keep us posted and keep cool!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Fortunately a cold front moved in last night so while it's sunny, the humidity and heat are gone. Upper 70s today. Mama and Ariel are happy.... I canceled my lesson tomorrow. Don't want to stress either of us, plus there is show at the barn so the indoor and outdoors are occupied.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Forgot to mention - but does Ariel have a salt lick in her stall? Some facilities may not put salt in the stalls and leave it up to the owner to hang it. Just a thought.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Poor Ariel and poor mama! Glad to hear she is getting better.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Glad you caught it early, and everything worked out okay!

Have you considered offering her green, scummy water? That's what mine prefer over the cold, clean, fresh water in the trough that I just scrubbed out on my hands and knees in 100+ degree weather.......just sayin! ;) :lol: :roll:

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Sunshine2Me wrote:Glad you caught it early, and everything worked out okay!

Have you considered offering her green, scummy water? That's what mine prefer over the cold, clean, fresh water in the trough that I just scrubbed out on my hands and knees in 100+ degree weather.......just sayin! ;) :lol: :roll:

LOL!!!!!

I do not have a mineral block in her stall but that will remedied tomorrow.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Sunshine2Me wrote:Glad you caught it early, and everything worked out okay!

I know you're just kidding, but for anyone that doesn't realize she is, algae is toxic to horses. I saw a horse almost die from this once. . .

Salt blocks are a very good idea!

Glad Ariel is feeling better, colic is scary stuff!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:08 pm

Poor Ariel! I'm glad you caught it quickly.

Maia had a heat moment earlier this week too. Like her dam, she normally handles high heat & humidity just fine, but for some reason on Tuesday, she was just dripping rivlets sweat. She was still drinking and passing manure, so not in anywhere near the distress of Ariel, but it was still a worrisome moment.

I rigged a second fan for her:

We think she was probably laying down when she became overheated — the existing fan sits on top of the wall, outside the vertical bars, and there was no breeze through the barn aisle that day. If she was laying down, that fan would have passed right over top of her, and not done much good.

No, she cannot reach the cord ... I didn't want REALLY hot horse :shock:

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Glad she's ok! Hate colic. We tend to get them in the cold when we don't have a lot of feed, so horses eat a lot of dry hay and not enough water.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:25 pm

I agree with salt availability to encourage hydration. Glad it was mild and that she is well

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Relieved that Ariel is okay. We had a horse have a very similar experience last week (mild colic; taken to vet clinic after not improving and then giving a lot of fluids and perked right up).

Yes to salt and mineral blocks in turnout and stalls + electrolytes!

It really has been terribly hot in some unusual spots so far this summer. We are fairly used to heat here, but it still came hard and early for us.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Glad to hear Ariel is okay, the heat and humidity was really awful here for about a week too. I had to move Pal during that crap and I was really worried about it but she's adjusted quite well. Yesterday was such a relief, the temps and humidity were both low/comfortable.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Yes, and I'm adding extra salt to their grain as well after I had a scare with my little Pip earlier in the week (and wetting down his hay, which he thinks is a gourmet treat, surprisingly enough.)

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:12 pm

I would recommend a plain white salt block or plain loose salt. Not a mineral block. Juliet Getty author of Feed Your Horse Like a Horse says those are best for getting salt in a horse without overdoing minerals.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:33 pm

(Soak the hay too~)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”