more WEG issues...

Baroque
Herd Member

more WEG issues...

Postby Baroque » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:28 am

Ok so I've been trying to get more information from them regarding how we get to the WEG site, originally they said they were having shuttle buses from the surrounding areas to get all of us Internationals and other visitors without transport to and from the site each day.

I checked again last week asking if they would be having shuttle bus pickups at the local hotels or whatever and eventually got an email yesterday back from them saying no they are not organising a shuttle service to and from site, because they are too busy organising everything else at short notice after they took over running the competition from Canada. :roll:

So it looks as though I am going to have to beg or borrow a car from somewhere to get from our apartment in Asheville to the venue. Fortunately I think the company may have a car or ute [pickup truck for those of you who don't speak Kiwi] that I can borrow or I'll take the rental and hubby can borrow one from work and use that.

The website is not very forthcoming about any information for overseas visitors but I'm hoping that they'll improve it. Maybe? What do the rest of you who are US locals think about the site info?

Anyway our flights are booked, the company apartment is booked and we're coming! :lol:

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: more WEG issues...

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 am

Ugh. This is exactly why I haven't bought tickets yet, even though I live only a few hours away.

I am on the verge of getting tickets and expect to drive an hour from where we'd like to stay and struggle with parking etc. I'm so sorry that these basic transport issues are not on US radar or this event's radar!!! Maybe look into Uber/Lyfte services as an option? (some desperate folks in the area might realize that there is some income to be had during this event). Not that I'm saying desperate folks are your best option for transport....but then again, maybe I am!!!

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:01 am

It's rather disappointing, especially when they said there would be shuttle services.

I would have far rather gone to Spain this year and had a decent holiday, but hubby insisted that he wanted to buy me the stressage pass as a Xmas pressie. I'm now wishing I'd put my foot down and said no I want to go to Spain.

It's just under an hours drive from where I'm told we are staying in Asheville, I'm sure I can cope with driving on the wrong side of the road again, it's been a while since I last did it but I'm up for most things on 4 wheels or legs.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:49 pm

Fingers crossed that someone else at your apartment area or near by hotel is going to WEG and you can catch a ride.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:19 pm

FWIW, check into Uber or Lyft.

Don't know if the cost would be discounted but often venues have a concentrated drop-off/pickup point and might be easier than having to beg/borrow/steal a vehicle and less than a taxi...

Can you find someone else in Asheville to ride-share?

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 pm

I'll probably end up driving myself there, but hubby is going to be over there in a couple of weeks time for business meetings so he said he would check around the local shuttle companies while he is in the right area and see what they are doing [if anything].

It's just too far away from here to be trying to do much at this end unfortunately due to time zone differences. I don't know anyone in Asheville other than work contacts and none of them are going to WEG! :lol:

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:26 pm

So, I don't know exactly where we are staying (I can't remember) but if we are close enough, Michael and I can always give you a ride. We'd be going to the same events I would think.

Yeah, I have to say that I am rather disappointed with the way this is set up. WEG at the Horse Park in KY was great.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:32 am

Chancellor wrote:So, I don't know exactly where we are staying (I can't remember) but if we are close enough, Michael and I can always give you a ride. We'd be going to the same events I would think.

Yeah, I have to say that I am rather disappointed with the way this is set up. WEG at the Horse Park in KY was great.

Thanks that would be lovely provided it doesn't make it inconvenient for you. I've bought the stressage pass for that week, so I'm there 12,13, 14 & 16th for the KUR as the Saturday is a non competition day in the stressage ring.

Hubby's going to be there next week so he said he will be checking about shuttles for me and as I said earlier I'm sure I can borrow either the rental or one of the spare company cars if it all turns to custard.

The KY horse park was amazing, wish I'd had more time there, we drove over from Louisville and spent a bit of time [and lots of $$$!] at The Woolery and the Ariat shop on the way!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:21 am

Baroque, I have to look for the "stressage pass"---that sounds amazing! LOL

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:08 am

piedmontfields wrote:Baroque, I have to look for the "stressage pass"---that sounds amazing! LOL

:lol:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”