How do YOU define Intellectual Property?

Chancellor
Site Admin

How do YOU define Intellectual Property?

Postby Chancellor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:15 pm

In all this mess with UDBB closing down and the two new boards springing up, I am curious. Do YOU think that if you post something on a public bulletin board like this one or UDBB, that this is still your intellectual property. This topic is not about what the law says so much as YOUR opinions. Anyone can look up what the law says :-)

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: How do YOU define Intellectual Property?

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:28 pm

I think it is naive to assume that there is a singular definition of IP in an international environment or that one can simply look "it" up.

That said, I work on an international environment with a lot of IP at stake and we do (mostly) manage to come to a common understanding. But it is an on-going, iterative process that requires evolution of understanding and legal practice!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:47 pm

My personal opinion is if I put something on a public forum/BB it is for the world to see. Is it my intellectual property? Yes. Is it significant and do I care? No.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:48 pm

I'm sure, too, the fine print tossed at people when they sign up has some bearing, but I do have to say, I have always considered 'public' to mean 'public'.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:20 pm

While I see no value in what I post I think it is a mistake to assume that others have no issue as well. I do take care and consciously put out there what I have no issue in others seeing and put nothing out that could be monetized (as if that would ever be the case :lol: ).

I do take this very seriously though as my DH has had to take legal measures on several occasions due to his images being used without his permission or any compensation.

So while I don't care about my stuff I do respect others right to care about and protect theirs.

The other thing that enters into the history of this discussion is also privacy rather that any intellectual property value. I'm sure many have posted stuff about their personal life or images of themselves, animals, family, property because they feel safe in a friendly environment. They didn't intend and might feel uncomfortable with things being available outside the "safe" place they originally posted it.

I guess, for me, outside the legalities it comes down to respecting others efforts and privacy.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:42 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:03 pm

Yes, everything I write or post is my property, UNLESS I have specifically waived or modified that right by agreeing to Terms of Service which either 1. License that content from me to be used in a way that is predefined, and therefore agreed to which may be for free or for consideration. or 2. Give the copyright to the site owner/magazine/newspaper/publisher either for free or for consideration. Consideration is not just money.

Being in the public eye or view does not diminish my rights to my writings or creations (IP). As long as I maintain control over that material, life is good. If I agree to TOS which change those rights, then I post/submit writings to that entity with that knowledge and acceptance of same.

I have always, since the beginning of the internet been on side of the copyright holder. Do you know, how many people I had to slap down in the early days for stealing graphics from my web site. I finally had to put up nasty notes in their place to get the point across. It was not only stealing the IP, but the bandwidth for delivering the content. Do any of you remember, that Mark and I were harping at people about 10 years ago (and on going) to NOT link to graphics on other people's sites, and how it was stealing both the content AND the bandwidth. It came up because the UDBB site was getting hit because people were linking off it, and Mark was having to pay increased bandwidth fees. That is not as significant a cost now, but was a big deal then.

If you pay attention on social media, do you see the requests from media(TV, News, other) requesting permission to reuse a graphic or photo? They know they can get their butts handed to them without that permission. Said permission has even more twists when you mix in the EU and others. The internet has taught people to ignore others rights and privacy and privilege because "they want". Whah. In the case of IP, it is not better to ask forgiveness than permission first. That is the road to lawsuits and shaming.

Lastly: It is NOT about who views the content. It is about who CONTROLS the content. This seems to be the part where people get lost. The IP is posted to be viewed. But even on twitter and facepuke, you can delete content and control access. You have control
Last edited by digihorse on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverpoet
Greenie

Postby Silverpoet » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:20 pm

First, I don't put anything out there online anywhere that might be a possible problem later somewhere down the line. If I do post something on some sort of public social media site like forums or Facebook, then I assume that it is there for the whole world to see.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:48 pm

I'd be hard pressed to label any post of mine as intellectual anything.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:58 pm

scruffy the cat wrote:I'd be hard pressed to label any post of mine as intellectual anything.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That is how I feel about my posts, also.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:36 pm

scruffy the cat wrote:I'd be hard pressed to label any post of mine as intellectual anything.

That pretty much sums it up for me :D .

I too cannot believe what many people post on BB and social media. I really can survive without any of it...as long as I can access Amazon.com :lol: .

Susan

Maple
Greenie

Postby Maple » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:26 pm

Ryeissa wrote:I did my best to delete all pics and personal threads from UDBB, what's left is what I don't care so much about if it gets into the wrong hands. yes, this was all a wake up call and why I don't participate much anymore.

Wake up call? Among other things, what on earth do you expect someone to do with old pictures of a deceased horse and the write-up about his illness, treatment and eventual demise?

Did you ever think it might actually be USEFUL to someone who's horse may be exhibiting similar symptoms and they are desperately Googling for info?

You freely put out all kinds of information over the course of several years for the whole world to see, and it's been out there in public all this time. And it's buried within the millions and millions of other words and images that have been on the internet since it first began. Why the paranoia?

And finally - who are these sinister "wrong hands" that you are so worried about and what do you think they will do with your stuff? :roll:

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:06 pm

ANything i produce. As said above, just don't pass it off as your own.
A short story: A dear friend passed a few months ago. I wrote a nice message in our GMO newsletter with a distinctive first line.
A week later, a photographer/graphic artist friend of mine (!) wrote a nice facebook post - USING MY LINE!!! I was dumbfounded.
No I did not confront her - I had no idea how to do it without sounding crass.... considering the topic.

You would think she would know better.

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:13 pm

I'm with scruffy.

AirsAboveNC
Novice

Postby AirsAboveNC » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:14 pm

Anything that originates from you is your intellectual property. But if you put things on the internet, how other people use them is out of your control. If this concerns you, don't put it on the internet.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:26 pm

Anything I create (written or spoken statement, images from my camera, etc) is my intellectual property. Posting it on the internet does not invalidate my claim. It's really an ethical revelation when intellectual or rights-protected materials are used without permission.

I wasn't surprised to see UDBB materials re-posted, I see a lot of that kind of thing in my industry. It's a frequent topic of conversation.

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:39 pm

Chancellor wrote:In all this mess with UDBB closing down and the two new boards springing up, I am curious.

Have I missed a boat here? Unsure and curious as to what the "mess" is that you are referring to?
Can someone PM me the issue?

As for IP, yes unless you agree to sign away your rights to what you post, then it is technically your IP. However, as we also assume names here, and it is a public forum, people can use your IP to their advantage and your control of your work can be undermined and misused.

I didn't delete my posts off UDBB, I was going to but then I though, that's what back ups are for, if someone was going to want anything I posted, then they would find an old back up or find a back door, and get what they wanted anyhow.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:33 am

Ryeissa wrote:Don't take content and pass off as your own,
Don't take info off a site and re-post on FB, a blog, etc where the original author has no knowledge or ability to edit/remove content.

I think printing a thread for study at home is not the same as taking the material to another online site.

Side note: I'm always amazed at the things people post on forums that are very personal- affairs, cheating, medical issues.... just because we are all friends doesn't mean others aren't reading and taking content.

I did my best to delete all pics and personal threads from UDBB, what's left is what I don't care so much about if it gets into the wrong hands. yes, this was all a wake up call and why I don't participate much anymore.

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:34 am

As specified by Chance, I am only speaking in terms of my feelings. I wrote whatever I wrote on UDBB. I cannot for the life of me understand the sensitivity expressed by many, about info from there possibly showing up here. (Which it won't.) But this group is a direct result of losing UDBB. Anyone could have come along and joined UDBB, which I knew when I posted there. Same is true for here.

If I wrote something particularly brilliant, and someone quoted me, I would love to be credited, but I wouldn't count on it, and wouldn't freak out if I wasn't, because it was a public BB. Anyone on the internet could read it. So <shrug> it's public.*

If it were info from a PM, that would be a completely different subject.

* In AA, one should not quote somebody by name or identifying characteristics from one group to another group. If I say something in a women's group, don't assume that I would choose to say the same thing in a mixed group. But confidentiality is an integral part of AA. The people who are upset about this topic make me think of AA, whereas for me, the two situations - UDBB/DDBB and AA - are completely different.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:30 am

Tuffytown wrote:
So while I don't care about my stuff I do respect others right to care about and protect theirs.

I guess, for me, outside the legalities it comes down to respecting others efforts and privacy.

I agree, it is a matter of respecting other people's privacy and as far as I'm concerned, the legalities shouldn't even have to come into play. If one's morals and standards are of good standing one wouldn't even contemplate taking another's words, ideas or thoughts and spreading it elsewhere without the person's approval and permission.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:37 am

Silverpoet wrote:First, I don't put anything out there online anywhere that might be a possible problem later somewhere down the line. If I do post something on some sort of public social media site like forums or Facebook, then I assume that it is there for the whole world to see.

Yes... "there to see"... not there to be taken without permission and post or use elsewhere.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:40 am

Maple wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:I did my best to delete all pics and personal threads from UDBB, what's left is what I don't care so much about if it gets into the wrong hands. yes, this was all a wake up call and why I don't participate much anymore.

Wake up call? Among other things, what on earth do you expect someone to do with old pictures of a deceased horse and the write-up about his illness, treatment and eventual demise?

Did you ever think it might actually be USEFUL to someone who's horse may be exhibiting similar symptoms and they are desperately Googling for info?

You freely put out all kinds of information over the course of several years for the whole world to see, and it's been out there in public all this time. And it's buried within the millions and millions of other words and images that have been on the internet since it first began. Why the paranoia?

And finally - who are these sinister "wrong hands" that you are so worried about and what do you think they will do with your stuff? :roll:

It makes me all warm and fuzzy when someone insults and demeans a person's personal opinion.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:05 am

Canadian Trotter, I don't see Maple's words as an insult or demeaning a person's personal opinion so much as trying to demonstrate another point of view. BUT, IF Maple DID mean to be insulting or demeaning, adding sarcasm only compounds it and really doesn't add to the discussion.

Valerie
Greenie

Postby Valerie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:32 am

I'm with Scruffy. Anything I put out on the internet anywhere I assume might be read, stolen, appropriated, learned from, used, accessed, or re-posted anywhere else on the internet. I'm not that important or paranoid, that I think what I post is at all important to anyone else that they would go to the trouble of stealing my thoughts. And if anyone thinks that what I think is important and wants to spread it I am flattered and don't really care.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:34 pm

lorilu wrote:ANything i produce. As said above, just don't pass it off as your own.
A short story: A dear friend passed a few months ago. I wrote a nice message in our GMO newsletter with a distinctive first line.
A week later, a photographer/graphic artist friend of mine (!) wrote a nice facebook post - USING MY LINE!!! I was dumbfounded.
No I did not confront her - I had no idea how to do it without sounding crass.... considering the topic.

Part of me says "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". But now, who was the person who originally said that? By strictest interpretations here, I am "stealing" that line from whomever said it first.

Lorilu I am not picking on you directly (although it may look like it) but rather trying to demonstrate my thoughts...And trying to get a grasp on other people's opinions on this one.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:47 pm

Chancellor wrote:Canadian Trotter, I don't see Maple's words as an insult or demeaning a person's personal opinion so much as trying to demonstrate another point of view. BUT, IF Maple DID mean to be insulting or demeaning, adding sarcasm only compounds it and really doesn't add to the discussion.

If Maple's response didn't include the words, "what on earth", "did you ever", "paranoid" or "sinister".... then yes, I would see and take what she said as a different point of view.

Doesn't the eye roll emoticon mean annoyance, disgust or sarcasm?

When a person sees or takes what another person says as demeaning or an insult towards their's or another person's opinion they generally respond with anger or sarcasm... it's human nature. My response wasn't meant to add to the discussion, it was merely made to voice my disagreement with how Ryeissa's opinion was being treated.

Was that wrong of me?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Since I am fairly sarcastic myself, how can I say that was wrong of you?

But, I do think that Maple was rather using hyperbole rather than being demeaning.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Chancellor wrote:
lorilu wrote:ANything i produce. As said above, just don't pass it off as your own.

Part of me says "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". But now, who was the person who originally said that? By strictest interpretations here, I am "stealing" that line from whomever said it first.

Lorilu I am not picking on you directly (although it may look like it) but rather trying to demonstrate my thoughts...And trying to get a grasp on other people's opinions on this one.

The fact that you put quotation marks around the line you copied tells people you are not claiming ownership of that line.

If you were writing a university paper you would have had to site your quotation as well or be accused of plagerism and dealt with accordingly.

If plagerism and copyright infringement are such a problem which is not taken lightly in the real world... should it not be taken as equal importance in less formal areas such as internet forums?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:02 pm

I only put it in quotation marks to show what I was talking about.

I also put quotes around stealing because I don't think I was stealing it.

*******************************THIS PART STRICTLY THEORETICAL. I WILL NOT HOST UDBB CONTENT ON THIS SITE********************************

If we were hosting UDBB content on this site, Digi has said that she could remove it from UDBB at any time. So, what if that could happen here? Would that make it ok? (AGAIN STRICTLY FOR PURPOSES OF DISCUSSION AND NOTHING MORE)

And, Canadian Trotter, no one can know who you are in real life from this board (unless they are a moderator of course). So, if you wrote something particularly earth shattering, no one could really quote you anyway. They could only quote Canadian Trotter....and if what you wrote was so earth shattering, you couldn't necessarily PROVE that you were Canadian Trotter, could you?

Please understand that I am just debating this for the sake of debate only. And it really sucks that i need to make sure NO ONE MISUNDERSTANDS that.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:09 pm

Plagiarizing is also a totally different story. If I took Kathy Johnson's "Breakfast with Mama" thread and posted it on TOB as if it were my own, that would be entirely different than if I posted Quelah's Freeway story here, where it would be obvious that it was Quelah's story.

Referring back to my AA reference earlier, I believe a more clear example would be that, in my opinion, it wouldn't occur to me - prior to all the discussion - that it would be wrong to post Quelah's Freeway story here, but I would never do so over on TOB. I wouldn't assume that she would choose to share it with different people, in a different forum. To me, this is as if an AA meeting changed location.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:11 pm

Chancellor wrote:I only put it in quotation marks to show what I was talking about.

Well, unbeknownst to you, capitalizing the beginning of you quote shows that you are giving ownership to it.

Putting quotation marks around a word that is found in the dictionary and everyday language is just showing emphasis.

So whether you intended to or not... your post was legally, morally and ethically correct.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:16 pm

M&M wrote:Plagiarizing is also a totally different story. If I took Kathy Johnson's "Breakfast with Mama" thread and posted it on TOB as if it were my own, that would be entirely different than if I posted Quelah's Freeway story here, where it would be obvious that it was Quelah's story.

Referring back to my AA reference earlier, I believe a more clear example would be that, in my opinion, it wouldn't occur to me - prior to all the discussion - that it would be wrong to post Quelah's Freeway story here, but I would never do so over on TOB. I wouldn't assume that she would choose to share it with different people, in a different forum. To me, this is as if an AA meeting changed location.

Obvious only to those who knew who Quelah was/is. How many non-members can read this forum?

Your AA example would be good if the meeting was strictly closed to any and all outsiders that could take things out of context.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:21 pm

Pfft, because I write code all day, I often randomly capitalize where I don't necessarily intend to do so...In coding world it is called camel case (because we often run 'words' together...like camelCase)
But, hey if you want to give me credit...I'll take it.

Now, what about the second half of my post?

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:36 pm

Chancellor wrote:Pfft, because I write code all day, I often randomly capitalize where I don't necessarily intend to do so...In coding world it is called camel case (because we often run 'words' together...like camelCase)
But, hey if you want to give me credit...I'll take it.

Now, what about the second half of my post?

Well you must have edited your 2nd half of your post because I had no idea what you meant until I went back to re-read.

This is why I appreciate the way pedantic people explain themselves... less room for misunderstandings.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:48 pm

Chancellor wrote:I only put it in quotation marks to show what I was talking about.

*******************************THIS PART STRICTLY THEORETICAL. I WILL NOT HOST UDBB CONTENT ON THIS SITE********************************

If we were hosting UDBB content on this site, Digi has said that she could remove it from UDBB at any time. So, what if that could happen here? Would that make it ok? (AGAIN STRICTLY FOR PURPOSES OF DISCUSSION AND NOTHING MORE)

And, Canadian Trotter, no one can know who you are in real life from this board (unless they are a moderator of course). So, if you wrote something particularly earth shattering, no one could really quote you anyway. They could only quote Canadian Trotter....and if what you wrote was so earth shattering, you couldn't necessarily PROVE that you were Canadian Trotter, could you?

Please understand that I am just debating this for the sake of debate only. And it really sucks that i need to make sure NO ONE MISUNDERSTANDS that.

Not true at all.

I posted pictures on the UDBB of the gardens at the front of my house. I received a pm from a person very local to me saying, "I know where you live". All they have to do is sit outside my house and watch for who comes and goes and then put 2+2= CanadianTrotter. The person was kind and friendly, I did not see it as a perceived threat or breach of privacyI, but I removed said pictures because it could be a threat the next time.

Saying, "So, if you wrote something particularly earth shattering", can be seen as inflammatory and whether it is earth shattering/useful would be up to the individusl reader.

Yes, I or a court of law can prove that I am CanadianTrotter... people's alter identities are proven all the time.

You said, "No one can know who you are in real life from this board(unless they are a moderator of course)"

How could or would you know who I am in real life?

Silverpoet
Greenie

Postby Silverpoet » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:29 pm

CanadianTrotter wrote:
Silverpoet wrote:First, I don't put anything out there online anywhere that might be a possible problem later somewhere down the line. If I do post something on some sort of public social media site like forums or Facebook, then I assume that it is there for the whole world to see.

Yes... "there to see"... not there to be taken without permission and post or use elsewhere.

The only time I can think that I'd have a problem with anyone taking anything I posted online would be if they tried to pass it off as their own. However, since I doubt anything I post is actually important enough for someone to want to claim as their own, I'm not too worried about that happening. Otherwise, I truly wouldn't care.

Just my opinion on the topic, other's POV obviously vary.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:36 pm

CanadianTrotter wrote:You said, "No one can know who you are in real life from this board(unless they are a moderator of course)"

I would hope you would understand that there are always "breadcrumbs" that a tech savvy person could follow to figure out who you are. I suppose that would ALSO be the way to prove who you are but not, I suspect, beyond a reasonable doubt.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:39 pm

CanadianTrotter wrote:I posted pictures on the UDBB of the gardens at the front of my house. I received a pm from a person very local to me saying, "I know where you live". All they have to do is sit outside my house and watch for who comes and goes and then put 2+2= CanadianTrotter. The person was kind and friendly, I did not see it as a perceived threat or breach of privacyI, but I removed said pictures because it could be a threat the next time.

This is an important point: if you're posting something on the internet, you're jeopardizing your privacy. How much risk you take on is a function of what you posted (gardening vs. death threats to the president), where it's posted (who controls the server that hosts it?), and who you are (i.e. a person of public interest is much more likely to get hacked than, say, my 89-yr-old grandmother). Your own risk tolerance should inform how much you're willing to share in a forum that is accessible by anyone who can search it-- this board, Chronicle of the Horse, the former UDBB, and unsecured Facebook, for example.

However, that has nothing to do with Intellectual Property claims. That's just life on the web.

On the IP side.... Pulling things off of other sites is what has made Buzzfeed and Huffpo, among others, the commercial successes they are. Don't get me wrong, the Instagram (for example) users who posted content are given attribution, but I doubt they're getting compensated in any way for the ad revenue that the sites receive for re-posting their content.

If you are protective of your intellectual property, I suggest that publishing it in a way that makes it easy to mis-attribute or steal is not the way to go. Although it worked for Andy Weir (who self-published his now-famous book The Martian on his own website, and later for the absolute minimum ebook price, and its grassroots popularity made it a blockbuster: http://www.andyweirauthor.com/books/the ... martian-hc), his case is the exception, not the norm.

I personally do not see monetary value in my posts on the UDBB, here, or elsewhere. Any value they may have is in the potential to help someone reading the training forum, which is why I posted them.

Paints
Herd Member

Postby Paints » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:23 pm

I am also in the dark about what happened to the UDBB and really don't want to know, unless - did someone publish and make money off our wonderful cookbook???? :lol:

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:39 pm

No, nothing like that Paints. No one made any money off anything.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:28 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:
CanadianTrotter wrote:I posted pictures on the UDBB of the gardens at the front of my house. I received a pm from a person very local to me saying, "I know where you live". All they have to do is sit outside my house and watch for who comes and goes and then put 2+2= CanadianTrotter. The person was kind and friendly, I did not see it as a perceived threat or breach of privacyI, but I removed said pictures because it could be a threat the next time.

This is an important point: if you're posting something on the internet, you're jeopardizing your privacy. How much risk you take on is a function of what you posted (gardening vs. death threats to the president), where it's posted (who controls the server that hosts it?), and who you are (i.e. a person of public interest is much more likely to get hacked than, say, my 89-yr-old grandmother). Your own risk tolerance should inform how much you're willing to share in a forum that is accessible by anyone who can search it-- this board, Chronicle of the Horse, the former UDBB, and unsecured Facebook, for example.

However, that has nothing to do with Intellectual Property claims. That's just life on the web.

I agree...

I was simply responding to when Chancellor said no one on this board could know who you are in real life except for a moderator.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Chancellor wrote:
CanadianTrotter wrote:You said, "No one can know who you are in real life from this board(unless they are a moderator of course)"

I would hope you would understand that there are always "breadcrumbs" that a tech savvy person could follow to figure out who you are. I suppose that would ALSO be the way to prove who you are but not, I suspect, beyond a reasonable doubt.

No doubt there are tech savvy people that can and do trace people's identities through the internet and they get paid to do as such I would think, unless they are a hacker or scammer.

If a person is "tech savvy" enough to follow beadcrumbs to find out who a person is.... I would be surprised if they didn't know the law of internet copyright infringement.

Also if the savvy person is the moderator of an internet forum such as this, then the members are risking their private information by just being a member, aren't they?

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:53 pm

Chancellor wrote:No, nothing like that Paints. No one made any money off anything.

Except Mark

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:01 pm

Maple....

no I didn't want my pics and personal info out there once I could no longer access the board or be aware of the content.

Removing my personal stuff is my right. "It can help someone else..." what is that? a guilt trip? LOL. It's not so much what someone will do with that as the fact I can't trace it or control it.

I never should have posted that much online, I regret it now. Yes, a wake up call to realize at a moment's notice things can be gone, boards get sold, people steal pics, etc.

And bullies, I have had several people bully me so I'm not opening myself up to any more of that. No thanks.

If you never share, nothing can happen. the board was great to me when Rye died, I will be sincerely grateful for that assistance. But it's still just a message board. I prefer to use FB more now since I can control the audience.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:02 pm

CT- I can't even remotely follow your last post nor do I think I want to. This was a debate and ONLY a debate and now I feel like you are trying to turn it into something sinister.

Yes, I know from what IP address you registered. Of course, for all I know, you used a few proxies and maybe I don't really know your IP address.....Maybe you are in fact, sitting right next to me as I type this....but no one (that I know of) is sitting next to me.....maybe you are a ghost next to me...Maybe you are in fact a reincarnated person and you are actually one of my dogs at home. Or maybe you are the cat?

Please don't twist words CT. If you are looking for a sinister motive, it will all be made up in your head as I have no sinister motive. I met a TON of great people through the UDBB and I have the know how to make a bulletin board. I have the time to do so. My motive is to see an internet community continue. That's it. If, eventually, I can sell some advertising on the site, that would be great. This site is not free for me although it is cheaper than when Mark was running the board.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Ryeissa wrote:Maple....

no I didn't want my pics and personal info out there once I could no longer access the board or be aware of the content.

Removing my personal stuff is my right. "It can help someone else..." what is that? a guilt trip? LOL. It's not so much what someone will do with that as the fact I can't trace it or control it.

I never should have posted that much online, I regret it now. Yes, a wake up call to realize at a moment's notice things can be gone, boards get sold, people steal pics, etc.

And bullies, I have had several people bully me so I'm not opening myself up to any more of that. No thanks.

If you never share, nothing can happen. the board was great to me when Rye died, I will be sincerely grateful for that assistance. But it's still just a message board. I prefer to use FB more now since I can control the audience.

Rye, Are you sure you can control the audience? I'll tell you, I have learned a LOT lately about how facebook controls stuff. I don't think I'd trust Facebook any more than you can an Internet BB.

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:35 pm

The problem with your argument Chance is that I've already, publicly called Chris Vinson on allowing others to steal content from the old UDBB site. Which he continues to allow by keeping the site up at its old IP. He is the first infringer by right of removing the access of the authors to remove their content from that site. The second infringer is anyone who takes that content to post anywhere, for any reason without express permission of each and every "author". Despite people's feelings about wanting to save what isn't theirs, the site needs to die. Period. The continuation of "hypothetical questions" doesn't fly. It walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and is therefore a duck. It would be very nice if people would just stop trying to possess that which is not theirs to own.

Maple was being a bully by using abusive language against Rye. That was NOT an opinion. I'm surprised at Maple as I've always liked her and her posts.

Lastly, for some of us, our "username" is a known entity, and is also tied to business/professional identities. I have been "digihorse" since 1995 and will continue to be so well into the future. No anonymity here.

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Chancellor wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:Maple....

Rye, Are you sure you can control the audience? I'll tell you, I have learned a LOT lately about how facebook controls stuff. I don't think I'd trust Facebook any more than you can an Internet BB.

Applause! Yes.... the penny has dropped. :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :mrgreen: and Facebook is not everyone's friend. It is there to take your "content" and use it to make billions of dollars, to which you get 0. For you coders out there, go through the API for the advertisers. Especially their "special partners" and what you have access to. How the privacy settings are manipulated. No thanks.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:48 pm

Chancellor wrote:Rye, Are you sure you can control the audience? I'll tell you, I have learned a LOT lately about how facebook controls stuff. I don't think I'd trust Facebook any more than you can an Internet BB.

Yes, I can control the audience and who is my friend there ON MY page.. Is it perfect? No.............people can and do come up with fake profiles in group settings.......but it's a whole lot more safe than completely open like these forums are.

I don't post much personal on FB even with the page settings.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:03 pm

digihorse wrote:I've already, publicly called Chris Vinson on allowing others to steal content from the old UDBB site. Which he continues to allow by keeping the site up at its old IP. He is the first infringer by right of removing the access of the authors to remove their content from that site.

You need to take a good, hard look at the definition of libel digihorse. As a general rule it is a *very* bad idea to publicly claim people have committed illegal acts when that just might not be true.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”