Fun at the Fair

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Fun at the Fair

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:37 pm

I am from a small, farming town, so Fair Week is a big deal around here. Starting 4 years ago the Farm Bureau sponsored a costume contest for the 4H/FFA and any other kids to participate in with their animals. There are classes for all types, from beef cattle down to cats--this year we had 26 entrants. Anyways, my son takes his beloved black lab in it every year--this was his costume this year. Btw, he came up with the idea and made it himself. Love to see teenagers doing this goofy stuff.

20180803_151642_resized_1.jpg
Son is Snoopy looking for the Red Baron, dog is Charlie Brown in his ghost costume
20180803_151642_resized_1.jpg (117.4 KiB) Viewed 11320 times

Chisamba

Re: Fun at the Fair

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:59 pm

Love it. It's Fair week here too. My 4 h kids did well at the horse show

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Costume classes are so much fun! I love it when the organizers arrange the schedule so the costume class is after the lunch break, so that anyone who wants to participate has plenty of time to get ready.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:35 pm

Fair week here this week, too. I need to take a painting up tomorrow for the art show.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Our fair is not until October thank DOG! It is way too hot here for a fair. We love to go every year just to smooze around and eat bad for you food. Lots of animals and equipment to see.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Very clever! I love Charlie Brown and Snoopy.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:25 pm

Is the fair like a show? Like do you have horse ridden classes etc?

Love the costume!!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:19 am

Flight, our county fair has one evening (tonight) which is the horse show, but it's a pretty rinky-dink family and kid affair with low-level western classes, to be honest. Other than that, there's a PRCA rodeo Friday and Saturday nights, and lots of 4H animal stuff (the kids raise pigs and sheep and cows through the summer and then they are judged and then auctioned off on Saturday. The money raised is meant for college funds and the like.)

The big money maker is the demolition derby tomorrow night, then they have all the ag. show things like crafts, art, cooking, (there were a lot of knitted items and plates of fairy cakes walking through the door when I went in with my painting this evening!), fruit and veg and flowers, a midway with carnival rides, hideous fair food, arts and crafts stalls, etc.

This year, new to us, there's a "beer, wine and liquor garden," which has caused an immense amount of controversy as we are still a largely Mormon (and therefore dry) county once you get out of the tourist trap I live in, especially our County Seat, which is tiny, and which is where the fair actually takes place.

And then there's the new fair manager--it's like they deliberately chose the most unlikely person they could possibly find to do the job. It's actually hilarious and is starting to make an ideal setting for the most improbable murder mystery novel one could possibly dream up...

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:35 am

Moutaineer wrote: It's actually hilarious and is starting to make an ideal setting for the most improbable murder mystery novel one could possibly dream up...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Mountaineer. It does sound similar to our country shows :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:38 am

Hey, I got a first place and judges choice for my watercolor! I won $9! (Which is $9 more than I've ever won at a horse show...)

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:44 am

Love it and all the posts! Just picked up my exhibits this morning as our fair wrapped up last night. I got fourth place as Homemaker of the Year! hahahahahaha!! Next year I want the damn sash!!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:25 am

So, what do you have to do for that Tarlo?

I think I'd be a complete fail...

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:44 am

I had to enter something in at least five of eight departments. I did seven; sewing (sundress), culinary (jam), fine arts (one of those wine-and-canvas things), folk art (a welcome sign I made years ago), horticulture (roma tomatoes), photography (a photo of a sunset), and floriculture (a giant Dahlia). The only category I didn't use was Agriculture and I think next year I'll grow an Indian corn for that. Also next year I'll double up on a couple departments and, especially in Floriculture, enter maybe a half-dozen flowers. I got $25, plus premium dollars - $10? - and a pretty pink rosette! :lol:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 am

well, I'm now emboldened to put a couple of paintings in the big leagues of the State Fair...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:58 am

Wow, Tarlo Farms. That's fabulous.

I dont enter anything myself but I do assist my 4h crew with their booth, riding etc. My horses are represented by the youth.

We were quite successful this year. One of my students was thecequine representative. The booth won an excellent, and my working student and Acacia did well
Attachments
FB_IMG_1534305166839.jpg
Acacia and her girl
FB_IMG_1534305166839.jpg (140.49 KiB) Viewed 11129 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Congrat Chisamba- lovely photo.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Very cool, Chisamba. So fun when "your" kids do well. That is quite the lovely picture. Being a 4H leader can be supremely aggravating at times, but oh so rewarding.

I also love how much more grounded the kids are who stay in 4H through their teen years. This year, my son qualified for the 4H National Shooting Sports Championships in Nebraska and so he, dh and I convoyed with his rifle team mates for the week long event. it was really neat to see 300+ teens hanging out at the big social they put on for them, exchanging pins and such, dancing and just goofing off--no drugs, no alcohol, no adults, and they helped clean up when the party was over! They were the same at the hosting hotels, the breakfast area was always left clean and free of trash, as was the pool. Kids growing up with a sense of service, whatya know. :mrgreen:

(don't know how it works at other county fairs, but our 4H teens help set up and take down all the fair stuff, from shades for the pens to tables and chairs for interview judges. They also man the 4H food booth on the busiest night of the fair even though most of them have been competing all week and will have to get up early for the livestock sale the next morning.)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Sue B wrote:Very cool, Chisamba. So fun when "your" kids do well. That is quite the lovely picture. Being a 4H leader can be supremely aggravating at times, but oh so rewarding.

I also love how much more grounded the kids are who stay in 4H through their teen years. This year, my son qualified for the 4H National Shooting Sports Championships in Nebraska and so he, dh and I convoyed with his rifle team mates for the week long event. it was really neat to see 300+ teens hanging out at the big social they put on for them, exchanging pins and such, dancing and just goofing off--no drugs, no alcohol, no adults, and they helped clean up when the party was over! They were the same at the hosting hotels, the breakfast area was always left clean and free of trash, as was the pool. Kids growing up with a sense of service, whatya know. :mrgreen:

(don't know how it works at other county fairs, but our 4H teens help set up and take down all the fair stuff, from shades for the pens to tables and chairs for interview judges. They also man the 4H food booth on the busiest night of the fair even though most of them have been competing all week and will have to get up early for the livestock sale the next morning.)

Yes they all have to do four to six hours of volunteer work, and they sign up for what they like usually in groups of friends. I also like the self reliance that 4 h focuses on

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:14 pm

Me three. Except the adults have taken over the meetings for 4H Horse Council. When I had a horse club, I helped a couple of my high school kids wrestle it back for about three years. In my opinion, adults are there to help point the kids in the right direction, assist when needed, then get out of the way with the older kids progressively stepping into the jobs with more leadership roles. I'm so damn disappointed the adults can't seem to let the kids be in charge and just work from the background to make sure no errors become major issues.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”