All I want for my birthday is....

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

All I want for my birthday is....

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:59 am

Cooler weather. PLEASE :!: My BD is next Friday.

It was a freaking 109F here today. I'm melting. It is supposed to moderate to the low nineties on Sunday then back to the upper nineties. Come on...I don't remember how many days over 100F in July but it was too many. It isn't even enjoyable to go to the barn early since it doesn't get below 70.
Oh well, at least ours is a dry heat if you have to try and find something positive :roll: :P .

Rant over, thank you. I know everyone has had some yucky weather this summer. I just get testy when I get hot. I don't like it :evil: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: All I want for my birthday is....

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:19 am

It's brutal here, down the road a bit, too. I'm looking forward to that "moderation" on Sunday as I'm going to a show... trailer in, one test, then right back home again.

And the smoke? Ugh.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:37 am

Well, I got is wrong. The official was 110F :o . Not to mention I am wearing a nylon and plastic back brace. I should have an hour glass waist when I am done with that 'cause I get some serious sweating. It gives me a reason to go lay in bed since I don't have to have it on then.

Mountaineer, that is the beauty of dressage...you know when you are going to ride. Short, sweet appearance at the show and home. Good luck on your ride.

Our smoke cleared a bit today which of course allowed the 110. Most of it is from California although there is several fair chunks of Idaho on fire too. Just less population density and the air currents are taking it to Montana.

Susan

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:19 am

That bad, but you guys have 20% or less humidity. How'd you like 80% humdity and 83+F? I don't know which is worse, because I've never experienced what you have. All I can say is the weather this year here has been brutal and makes owning horses very hard.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:37 am

South of the Mason-Dixon, it is a choice between riding at cooler temps (70s or 80s) and 1,000 percent humidity or riding in 90s at lower humidity. It's a toss up but I choose to ride in the early morning trying to avoid that seemingly worst combination of humidity and heat in the late morning.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:12 pm

The very hot humid weather has caused mud fever to bloom. I spend my days scrubbing with betadine.

Rain every day almost, hot and very humid. Musical comedy it's been unusual in my opinion. What do you think?

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Extremely hard summer here in NJ - humidity in the 90's in early mornings plus the high temperatures. Besides the heat advisory there was respiratory warnings as well from the weather channels. I gave up riding during this extreme heat. Plus pony had some cough episodes - maybe allergy from all the rain and mold - whatever. Vet out and he was medicated with additional allergy supplements. Myself - I'm have allergic skin reactions with itchy bites - maybe chigger bites? Looks like small itchy welts. DH and I and animals going crazy this summer with these skin issues.

Plus the added stress to get my elderly mom moved into an assisted living facility. The finances and paperwork are overwhelming and we just started the process. Next, will be clearing her modest home to sell ASAP to help with monthly payments. Oh yeah - I planned to retire next month after 40 years of working. My birthday is in September too - I hope for things to get settled so I can come up for air some time soon. I want to restart riding again very badly. :(
Last edited by Josette on Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Chisamba wrote:The very hot humid weather has caused mud fever to bloom. I spend my days scrubbing with betadine.

Rain every day almost, hot and very humid. Musical comedy it's been unusual in my opinion. What do you think?

Clearly, this is the worst year I can recall for weather. So much rain. It's really hard on me now that I'm older.

Tsavo, that is the situation we have here in NJ; a choice between hot as hades or cooler temps w/high humidity.

To top it off, there doesn't seem to be a break in sight here. Everyday there is some rain predicted. I don't know what is going to happen with hay. Last fall I luckily got 300 bales of 3rd cut orchard and I have enough for probably 2 more months. Then, I am going to be up a creek w/o a paddle. Fortunately, I can afford to pay top dollar for imported hay from the west, but I really feel for those big boarding barns that go through hay so quickly. If worst comes to worst, I can probably feed my retiree straight senior feed and buy the Stanlee hay from tractor supply for the mare. I have lots of pasture, but they don't want to go out at all in the heat. Come fall, they will be out on grass, so that will save on hay. And then, come november we will start with the rain and wind. The only month that is nice here is October.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Josette wrote: Myself - I'm have allergic skin reactions with itchy bites - maybe chigger bites?
A couple weeks ago I had something like that. I had them in places where an insect shouldn't be able to get (tmi, I know). I searched the internet to see what they might be, but came up empty.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:18 pm

Me too - have welts on my torso and upper legs. I live in long jeans - never wear shorts (my legs glow in the dark) LOL!. I was wondering if the dogs were bringing something in from the grass - passed onto the furniture. This weather is so frustrating to deal with for everyone and animals.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Yesterday was quite the blast furnace - glad it was only one day. It reminded me of pretty much every summer day when I lived in Bakersfield, CA. We would push the envelope on riding at night (no arena lights) and come home caked in mud from the dust adhering to sweat. Blech.

Last night I made the circuit and hosed all the horses. Obie sweats a lot just standing around, but even Annabelle was sweating yesterday. Tesla was find with her body surface/mass ratio she can cool off well, lol.

Mornings are only pleasant if you're at the barn before 7, because it heats up a lot by 9. I enjoyed sleeping in a little this morning, but need to get my breeches on now and get on with it. I am looking forward to having cool enough weather to ride after work though - this pre-work riding schedule is starting to wear on me.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tsavo

Postby Tsavo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:58 pm

In re itchy welts, as I mentioned I got those after walking the property looking for a lost shoe. By happenstance I had a physical soon after and they told me they were probably chigger bites. I have never seen them before. The amount of rain this summer is unusual in my opinion. And the level of scratches is very high. I think this is what will be the norm going forward unfortunately. I am sorry for my kids and other descendants. We have scientific idiots at the helm.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:20 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:Not to mention I am wearing a nylon and plastic back brace.

I wore a "clamshell" back brace for 7 months :shock:

I used to wear a plain white t-shirt under the brace (at the recommendation of my surgeon's office). Got some inexpensive men's t-shirts and they worked just ducky :)

Maybe check into that if you are doing it already?

I'm in Phoenix and I can sympathize with the temps :) - decent right now at 82 with rain last night. :D

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:55 am

Miserable in northern Illinois. Temps in the upper 80s, lower 90s and essentially in a drought. Full sun. It’s never cloudy. I get physically ill if I ride in these temps. Ariel colicked from the heat and now she has a sunburned nose. Icky little sore bumps all over her pretty white nose. She’s crabby too. I wish the temperature would moderate and the sun would go away. Funny that I long for winter in the summer, but never want the summer in winter.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:46 am

I live north of Seattle. We have had day after day of upper 80 low 90s for the last month. TODAY IT rained. the air is full of fire smoke and the rain is helpful, with temps in the low 70s a chance to air out our homes and feel fresh for once.

Hoping the rains will cross the mountains and drop on the area plagued by the worse fires.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:41 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:I wore a "clamshell" back brace for 7 months :shock:

Yuck...Oh yeah, T shirt under the brace for sure. It is a wonder the incision will heal when being parboiled...but it looks good.

I know...summer has been :P :P :P everywhere. We finally got some relief this morning. In the low 60's with a breeze when I got up. Then back to the mid 90's but it is supposed to be at least less than 70 at night.

My BD isn't until Friday. Maybe there is still hope?

Take care all.

Susan

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:04 pm

Hope though Susan, but I dont know. Seattle forecast or the week ahead is mid to upper 80s all week, it does get tolerable as soon as the sun sets, so there is that. You all always get it worse than us, so chill the wine for your birthday.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:34 pm

We are under a constant blanket of smoke just like last year. Although I can see a bit of blue sky right now. Seems like everyone and their pets have a cough right now, and everyone is getting crabby about the heat. Ah well, in a few months we'll be griping about the bitter cold winds. Kyra, I hope your back continues to heal and I will jingle for a cooler BD that we can all share.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:49 am

Oh the smoke here in Everett , yesterday , was terrible ( could smell it) I am sure yours is much worse.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:39 pm

I hear you on heat.

I just spent the weekend in central NC (where I used to live). Being outside in heat 5 F hotter than where I live now was brutal! TN is very humid, but that little bit of a temperature difference really helps. It is fairly rare for it to go higher than 90F in E TN (even at just 2000 ft elevation).

Of course, TN is also 5 degrees colder in winter!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:00 pm

piedmontfields wrote:
Of course, TN is also 5 degrees colder in winter!

We definitely have cold winters here, but the tradeoff is that the summers are beautiful. Even though it's been a warm summer this year the temps almost never go above 70 at night, and are more often in the 60's, so the mornings are perfect for riding.

Riding in the ring is easy because I can get out there early and be done before it starts getting uncomfortable, but trail riding isn't' as easy because it takes longer, and then we have to come back on the main highway where there's no shade. But we always have at least some overcast days when the temps stay in the 70's, and they've been just about perfect for trail riding.

I don't think anyone is looking forward to winter, but there is always the option of taking the winter off and start up again in the spring.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Ryeissa wrote:yeah, icky here in the midwest. 95 HUMID.

You are validating what my DH always warns me about in the midwest (he is from there): Icky in winter and in summer!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:49 pm

piedmontfields wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:yeah, icky here in the midwest. 95 HUMID.

You are validating what my DH always warns me about in the midwest (he is from there): Icky in winter and in summer!

My sister's in KY. Hot and humid in the summer and cold and muddy in the winter, but very little snow and ice. The winters would probably be nice for riding if one had access to an indoor, or maybe an outdoor with all weather footing, because the temps are mild in the winter.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:03 pm

Susan, I hope you had a good birthday. What was the temp? Has it cooled off?

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:01 am

Birthday was fine...if you like work :P . That is OK...who is counting?

Weather is some better. Still wanting to get in the upper nineties. What I don't like is that it isn't cooling off very well at night. I don't sleep well if I am hot. Of course, I have AC and I think I have used it more this summer than I have in years. Today was kind of ghastly. Wind...warm and blowing from the SE so blowing all that CA fire smoke our way. Plus, it is so dry the dust and dirt were blowing too. I have never seen so many of the horses with weepy, gunky eyes as this year...doesn't matter if they have a fly mask or not. I wish some of you all that are flooded and water logged could send some our way.

Susan

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:57 pm

I would be happy to transfer some water, Susan. We mow on one day and two days later, the pasture and lawn are already high again!

Of course, fungus and hoof abscesses have been challenges for some horses with all of this extra rain.

p.s. In the land of humidity, we turn on the AC in May and shut it off in September.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”