In which I'm reminded how much horse shopping sucks!

Xanthoria
Herd Member

In which I'm reminded how much horse shopping sucks!

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:36 am

Casually browsing for sale ads, as one does, I ended up in the following SUPERBLY annoying text conversation with a seller of "Three unbroke/recently started WB babies, incredibly bred, need to sell right away for $5k each due to (terrible incident). Please text me."

See if you can figure out this word puzzle! What are the ages, prices and sexes of the following animals for sale?

2 weeks ago:
Me: Hi, saw your ad - are they still available?
Seller: (sends 6 photos of 5 different horses)
Me: there are 5?
S: I have a couple. a 2016 and a 2015. sorry, life is crazy after terrible incident (blah blah blah unrelated stuff)
S: (another photo of a different horse)
S: (repeats herself) I have a couple. a 2016 and a 2015. sorry, life is crazy after terrible incident (blah blah blah unrelated stuff)
M: So sorry! Where are you located? heights? Started at all? Prices?
S: the chestnut and younger bay are $5k, the older bay $8k. the chestnut and bay were being started when horrible incident happened. they are about 16.1. the younger one has a huge trot. (long rambling story about terrible incident) I will send video.
M: Uh, do you have email? Might be easier :) Mine is xxx@xxx.com

Three days pass:
M: any luck w video?
M: also, are they registered and if so which registry, and what are their names?

Another day goes by. I call and leave a VM.
M: I just left you a VM. I'd love to know more details! You ave two for sale - or three? Who are each of their sires and dams? Thanks :D
S: I have two 3yr olds and a coming 2 yo. search MyCrazyName on yourtube for vids (long rambly text about needing a new camera and phone)

I go look, to find 8 videos of about 5 seconds long, some backwards, of various unnamed horses, some videos are backwards or upside down, and some are videos about other animals or her kids.
M: thanks! is this one of them? (link)
S: YES - that is my gorgeous horse who is so amazing (long winded description of her many talents - about 3 paras) She is not for sale. :) My filly that's turning 2 and chestnut mare are all amazing too - and sound!
M: Pretty mare! I saw a video of a chestnut, and 2 clips of a bay, and a gray - which is which?
S: He is the sire, not inspected
M: Who are HIS sire and dam?
S: there are two full sister bay mares. All his offspring have top level jumping ability! I will find pics of the dams.

At this stage, I THINK what we have is:

2016 Bay filly $5k
2015 Chestnut mare $5k
2015 Bay, mare, $8k (full sister to other bay)
All by gray stallion.

...but on the whole, I have got so little info out of her in 2 weeks that I think time is up and I never want to buy a horse again as long as I live. :roll: :? :lol:

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: In which I'm reminded how much horse shopping sucks!

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:34 am

Seriously, you tried and she tried. She failed.

Watch for craigslist ads from her and move on. Sorry, but that is how it goes!

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:55 am

You are more patient/persistent that I!

I just made it through this, and will not work that hard. Buyers are often accused of being "tire kickers" but I think on the other side of the fence are people who don't really want to sell their horses, but perhaps are being pressured by a spouse, money woes, etc., so put up a vague ad and act cagey so that the horse doesn't actually sell, but they can claim that they're trying.

I inquired about a horse and since she mentioned a good home being important in the ad, I gave her a rundown of what I do with my horses, my experience, and even before/after photos of Annabelle as proof. I asked for a video because said horse was over 5 hour drive away. She did send a video - about 38 seconds of someone holding a cell phone (in portrait mode - why?!?) while simultaneously lunging the horse on a lead rope. I responded that there were some nice steps in there, but could they please get a video of all 3 gaits, at liberty in a paddock would be fine, and also photos of feet and legs before I committed the better part of a weekend to coming over to look. She sent back her husband's phone number and said to call and tell him what I wanted. Nah. If you're not smart enough to figure out what a buyer might want to see in a prospect, the horse is probably a hot mess too.

Another one - I saw a cute blue roan filly on Craigslist. It was probably the camera angle, but she looked taller than the average QH, so I emailed and asked how tall she was. The guy wrote back - "I have no idea, like average size. Just come out and see her." As if the hassle of making an appointment and showing the horse is way easier than walking out the door with a freaking tape measure.

With smart phones, there is just no excuse anymore not to have some decent video and photos, even on a cheap horse. It would save everyone so much time.
The UDBB member known as AQHA Hunter

heddylamar
Herd Member

Postby heddylamar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:49 am

You are 1000x more patient than me. I'd never have reached the voice mail stage.

Are you looking for a potential eventer? My aunt (upper level dressage and trail rider) bought a great cheap Hanoverian from a breeder in Oregon ~10 years ago. He would have made a fantastic eventer, and did after she sold him. I can try to find out the breeders info if you'd like.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:30 am

Send it on heddy - Id love an eventer but a great showjumper would be alright too! Thanks :)

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Xan -

I have a headache just reading through that!

musical comedy
500 post plus club

Postby musical comedy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm good at very little, but I am good at assessing horse sale ads and identifying red flags. Which is why it took me so long to finally buy. I probably passed up some nice horses and good deals by moving on past ads that didn't show or read the way I thought they should. Most savvy horse people know what they have, so when a price is unreasonably low, I suspect there is a reason. There usually is.

Hayburner
500 post plus club

Postby Hayburner » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:12 pm

I have to say I am not good with my phone, camera, etc. But, if it's important there is always someone I can ask to help me post pics or videos.

If the lady really wants to sell her horses she better get some help communicating :lol:

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Yeah, I have to say I'd have killed this conversation a long time ago normally, but somehow it's so surreal it's amusing.

How few FACTS can she give while typing so MUCH? It's like a game!

And yes absolutely - she doesn't want to sell and/or she's bonkers. I am absolutely sure the 2 hour each way drive would not be worth it, but that is what it would take to get more information out of her...

heddylamar
Herd Member

Postby heddylamar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Does she even own the horses she's trying to sell? It's all shady.

Bip
Greenie

Postby Bip » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:49 pm

Tell her you will send a cashier’s check for $2000 over asking price and she just needs to give you the change.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:51 pm

Bip wrote:Tell her you will send a cashier’s check for $2000 over asking price and she just needs to give you the change.

BAHAHAHAHAH! :mrgreen:

khall
500 post plus club

Postby khall » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Xan not sure what you budget is or how young you would look at and since Ponichiwa has found her golden boy, LOOK at this filly!!

https://www.facebook.com/kathryn.schies ... ABWW5jwwrA

OMG she is gorgeous and she goes back to Grundstein!!

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Totally gorgeous! No more babies for me tho - learned that lesson, sadly :(

Return to “The Observation Lounge”